GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Not sure they want to acquired Necas now with Demidov

I think it will be McGroarty or nothing

I don't think they want Necas because he's not that good.
Zegras, at this point would be a better trade.

Zegras - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvorak
Roy - Newhook - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gallagher

If Dach gets injured we have an extra top 6 C.
If we have to trade Dvorak, we have an extra top 6 C
(this MIGHT be a playoff bound team - depending what we give up for Z)

Next year

Demidov - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Zegras - Dach
Roy - Newhook - Beck
BB/Anderson - Evans - Gallagher

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Winnipeg probably didn’t want to burn a year of ELC and now they wouldn’t garanti him NHL playing time. He is mad that they didn’t sign him last year.
That only matters at the end of their college season and there's only a few games left in the NHL season

Nah the Canes would just laugh.

Canes have Slavin, Orlov and Gostisbehere, so their LD is covered for 5 on 5, pk and pp. Matheson is of little use to them at this point
Orlov has 1 year left and he's not better than Matheson, Gostisbehere signed with the Wings.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I don't see him as untouchable but I'm not in a rush to move him either. You can't really remove him right now until the young defenseman show they can handle his minutes, deployment and ability to create offense.

It can really harm the development of the team in totality if we lose the only defenseman capable of driving offense from the back-end. That's less pucks up in the offensive zone and less touches for our young players in an offensive capacity.

You are also putting a heavy defensive assignment on more than just Guhle which could hurt development and confidence.

Matheson can and will be traded, but it won't be until he is expendable, and he isn't right now because not enough of our youth has stepped up to comfortably make that move.
Matheson is the David Desharnais of defensemen. His offensive stats are good due to usage, not ability. People saying the young guys need to make him expendable, that will never happen as long as he is still around and taking all the PP time and forcing Guhle to play on his wrong side. I prefer playing the young guys and evaluating what we have by using them in all situations and then making informed decisions over playing a guy with no future big minutes. I want to see MSL having to play them, instead of the 2024 version of the Therrien-Desharnais lovefest.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Zegras - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvorak
Roy - Newhook - Armia

Next year

Demidov - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Zegras - Dach
Roy - Newhook - Beck
While I am not a fan of Zegras or Necas, if I was given a choice I would take Necas all day long. Zegras strikes me as a one dimensional player not determined to improve. I could be wrong.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Matheson is the David Desharnais of defensemen. His offensive stats are good due to usage, not ability. People saying the young guys need to make him expendable, that will never happen as long as he is still around and taking all the PP time and forcing Guhle to play on his wrong side. I prefer playing the young guys and evaluating what we have by using them in all situations and then making informed decisions over playing a guy with no future big minutes. I want to see MSL having to play them, instead of the 2024 version of the Therrien-Desharnais lovefest.

Matheson is much better than you are giving him credit for. I do agree that he is not ideal as the PP1 QB but Hutson will take over fairly quickly imo. He is an elite skater with above average puck skills and a good shot. It sucks that he is left handed but there is no need for such harsh criticism as it is ill placed and unwarranted.

I would like to see him tried on the right side with Guhle moving back to the left where I think he is much better.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

Zegras - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvorak
Roy - Newhook - Armia

Next year

Demidov - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Zegras - Dach
Roy - Newhook - Beck
One thing that became clear to me is Hughes and Gorton have a template and don’t want redundancy of a player profile in the group. So a guy like Zegras is probably unlikely now.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Matheson is much better than you are giving him credit for. I do agree that he is not ideal as the PP1 QB but Hutson will take over fairly quickly imo. He is an elite skater with above average puck skills and a good shot. It sucks that he is left handed but there is no need for such harsh criticism as it is ill placed and unwarranted.

I would like to see him tried on the right side with Guhle moving back to the left where I think he is much better.
No what sucks is that he can't actually play defense. Wasting Guhle"s development by having him play his wrong side and not playing his game because he has to cover Matheson's ass is the path to ruining the top D prospect currently with the club. The only problem with trading Matheson is the rest of the league knows that his season was fools gold, and who the player actually is.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Lol at people thinking Matheson is part of the vets for the future
Future is next moment. Next season, in that case, so yes he probably will be a part of vets at that time.

And why a" lol " at those fans who are thinking Matheson is a part of the future ? as if your point of view gives you a kind of authority that allows you to be arrogant :facepalm:

Reactions: zx81

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Only UFA that is of interest if he comes cheap is JVR, can play 2nd line and be flipped at the deadline to a contender.

Nah, I think we're good.
I still prefer to give that ice-time to develop maybe the next JVR instead of trying to revive the old one. At TDL probably won't get much for him, probably same as Armia.

I think if there's anything left to do this summer it's through trade

Reactions: LaP

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Nah, I think we're good.
I still prefer to give that ice-time to develop maybe the next JVR instead of trying to revive the old one. At TDL probably won't get much for him, probably same as Armia.

I think if there's anything left to do this summer it's through trade
If Armia plays as well as he did in the last 20 games of the season (a long shot) he will be worth something at the trade deadline. JVR won't return anything of value.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Yep, exactly this. Great comparison to Desharnais.

Matheson plays 22+ minutes a game because Marty chooses to play him that much. He could play Jake Evans 20 minutes a game, doesn't mean it would be a good decision or that Jake Evans is a player who should be playing 20 minutes.

He even plays on the PK, which, if you've ever watched Matheson play defense, should be a criminal offense to do.

He had a big year offensively, no doubt. But he's not some steady Eddy guy back there who makes up for kids' mistakes and keeps them honest. More often than not, they're the ones who need to hang back and get caught up in odd-man rushes when he gives the puck away or attempts to make one too many moves.

Don't trade him just to trade him, but if a GM with rose-colored glasses offers you something of good value for him, take it, run away, and trade for a veteran D who can actually help the kids if you need.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
One thing that became clear to me is Hughes and Gorton have a template and don’t want redundancy of a player profile in the group. So a guy like Zegras is probably unlikely now.

We don't have a player like Zegras and Demidov ain't changing that.

Demidov is a "power play maker".
Zegras is a pure breed play maker.

Very different players.

While I am not a fan of Zegras or Necas, if I was given a choice I would take Necas all day long. Zegras strikes me as a one dimensional player not determined to improve. I could be wrong.

Potentially, but Martin St-Louis and Cole Caufield could both have a good effect on him. And because of that perception of an attitude he would be cheaper than we think.

Reactions: 1909

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Canucks fan coming in peace.

What are you guys looking for in a trade for Matheson?

The only forward the Canucks have that might work for you is Hoglander, would that be of any interest?

23 years old and about 20 goal guy over his career (pace wise). Has inconsistency issues like a lot of young players but can be a solid 2nd line winger if he reaches his potential.

I know he has warts defensively but we have a pretty good system going that will probably shelter him. Need some offense and puck-moving in our bottom-4.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Canucks fan coming in peace.

What are you guys looking for in a trade for Matheson?

The only forward the Canucks have that might work for you is Hoglander, would that be of any interest?

23 years old and about 20 goal guy over his career (pace wise). Has inconsistency issues like a lot of young players but can be a solid 2nd line winger if he reaches his potential.

I know he has warts defensively but we have a pretty good system going that will probably shelter him. Need some offense and puck-moving in our bottom-4.

Nope.

No interest from our POV in Hoglander. He small even if he play with a certain edge but since we already have Caufield in a prominent role i doubt we should ice another smol forward.

I honestly don't see what could be a realistic fit between our two teams as you probably dont want to part ways with an higher tier asset like Boeser.

Matheson is a black sheep on this board but the truth is that he brings a lot to the table and plays a lot of tough minutes. He is very valuable beyond his brain cramp. He may become expendable depending on the growth of Hutson, Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux but i think he is someone who is highly valued by our front office. I would even think maybe he is a vet who could be extended in two years and Guhle traded instead of him.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nope.

No interest from our POV in Hoglander. He small even if he play with a certain edge but since we already have Caufield in a prominent role i doubt we should ice another smol forward.

I honestly don't see what could be a realistic fit between our two teams as you probably dont want to part ways with an higher tier asset like Boeser.

Matheson is a black sheep on this board but the truth is that he brings a lot to the table and plays a lot of tough minutes. He is very valuable beyond his brain cramp. He may become expendable depending on the growth of Hutson, Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux but i think he is someone who is highly valued by our front office. I would even think maybe he is a vet who could be extended in two years and Guhle traded instead of him.

Understandable. We don't really have anyone else available other than Podkolzin who is a bigger stronger forward but mostly unproven.

We need another top-6 forward as it is so Boeser would be off the table in a deal for Matheson, especially after the season he just had.

And we don't have much in terms of prospects either other than the big 2 who would also not be part of a trade like this.

So unless Montreal wants a package of lesser picks and prospects, which I assume they don't, probably no deal to be made.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would been active in free agency. It pays off. The year we sign Toffoli, Allen, Edmundton, Perry we got to finals. They all played prominent role. Then we traded them for 2 first round picks, a second and 2 thirds. Helped us in many ways

Last edited:
Reactions: mdk

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Of all the remaining FA left, I would be tempted by JVR on a 1 year deal if nothing else happens. Make Roy deserve his spot on the 2nd line. Those two could be interchangeable in the top 9. Would not mind Wheeler or Sprong either.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Winnipeg was willing to sign him and burn a year of the entry level deal. The issue is they won't guarantee him an NHL roster spot for this year and he doesn't want to play in the AHL.
Pretty sure for him to burn a year of contract last year he had to play a game in the regular season... signing alone would do nothing is contract would have slided. They weren't willing last season, he was piss that he couldn't burn a year last season (kinda like Gauthier), now they want to sign him but he wanted a garantees which they are willing to make...

Reactions: red devil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad