Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He turns 31 halfway through this year, so statistically his bad year last year was the onset of his regression phase, but sure would be great if it turns out to just be an aberration.
I find too many here seem to forget that Lindholm was never a major point producer in Anaheim, think he typically fell in the 25 to 35 pt range so last year, statistically is more on par for his average over his career and the 50+ pt season for the B`s was the outlier

Now, I would agree with many he didn`t have a great year last year as far as his overall play, didn`t seem to have that confidence he had in year one as a Bruin

Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I find too many here seem to forget that Lindholm was never a major point producer in Anaheim, think he typically fell in the 25 to 35 pt range so last year, statistically is more on par for his average over his career and the 50+ pt season for the B`s was the outlier

Now, I would agree with many he didn`t have a great year last year as far as his overall play, didn`t seem to have that confidence he had in year one as a Bruin
Agreed, I have always seen him as more of a first pass / shut down guy than a point producer. When I said statistically, I didn’t mean his goals and assists, I meant statistically as in the average regression phases for players his age.

Last year was a down year for him across the board. For a guy who turns 31 in the middle of next season, that tends to indicate he is regressing given his age, but hopefully he bounces back.

Reactions: Gordoff

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Ty Anderson talks about this a lot on his pod, but they really need to find a way to free him up for more offensive zone starts. Last season he was averaging the most defensive zone starts in his career and the least offensive zone starts in his career. And that's in addition to him and Carlo getting deployed against the other teams top lines every night, and also getting deployed on PK1 once Forbort got hurt. There really isn't a single guy in the league that plays those kind of minutes while also generating offense.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Zadorov-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke

Zadorov with McAvoy allows McAvoy to be more offensive but this is your main pair that goes up against the big guns.
Carlo with Lindholm allows Lindholm to use those offensive skills he has more.
Lohrei gets to keep developing and easing into the league with a stable partner who blocks shots and is defensively oriented while not having to face top lines or big minutes as much.

I'm also seeing if Lohrei would work out on PP1 to free up McAvoy for more PK time. I think Lohrei might actually be the best QB option for the PP.

If Lohrei leaps forward, Lindholm becomes a possible trade chip.

That's how I'd start the year anyway.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
He turns 31 halfway through this year, so statistically his bad year last year was the onset of his regression phase, but sure would be great if it turns out to just be an aberration.
He's 29, how is he going to turn 31 halfway through this year?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He's Swedish and a former #6 overall pick. Those guys age well.

But Lohrei may get glued to Carlo and McAvoy may mesh with Zadorov so...

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Zadorov-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke

Zadorov with McAvoy allows McAvoy to be more offensive but this is your main pair that goes up against the big guns.
Carlo with Lindholm allows Lindholm to use those offensive skills he has more.
Lohrei gets to keep developing and easing into the league with a stable partner who blocks shots and is defensively oriented while not having to face top lines or big minutes as much.
Are you saying Zadorov allows McAvoy to be more offensive because you believe Zadorov is more defensive? If so I think that's wrong. Zadorov is not a stay-at-home defenseman. He likes to join the rush as much as anyone.

I think Zadorov-McAvoy is designed to be an offensive 1st pair to be used in offensive situations.
Lindholm-Carlo was designed to play against top lines and I expect it'll stay that way.
Lohrei-Peeke will get the Krug-McQuaid treatement, I expect. Good pair, in theory.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Are you saying Zadorov allows McAvoy to be more offensive because you believe Zadorov is more defensive? If so I think that's wrong. Zadorov is not a stay-at-home defenseman. He likes to join the rush as much as anyone.

I think Zadorov-McAvoy is designed to be an offensive 1st pair to be used in offensive situations.
Lindholm-Carlo was designed to play against top lines and I expect it'll stay that way.
Lohrei-Peeke will get the Krug-McQuaid treatement, I expect. Good pair, in theory.
Right. Wasn't Ference/McQuaid a 3rd pairing at one point?

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Believe me, I wish he was 29. He’ll be 36 at expiry. Like I said when this contract was signed, those last 3 or 4 years are not going to look good.
You don't have to wish for it. He is 29.

Fwiw, his contract is structured so that his NMC becomes a limited-NTC (10 team list) after his 33 year old season, and his salary drops to $6m for the last 2 years.

On an unrelated note, I wish the Bruins wore black and gold jerseys.

Reactions: Ratty

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
You don't have to wish for it. He is 29.

Fwiw, his contract is structured so that his NMC becomes a limited-NTC (10 team list) after his 33 year old season, and his salary drops to $6m for the last 2 years.

On an unrelated note, I wish the Bruins wore black and gold jerseys.
Are you thinking of the wrong Lindholm? Elias is 29, Hampus is 30.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I look for Lohrei to have a break out season in 24/25. This based on his development as this last season played out. He seems to have developed confidence in his play.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I look for Lohrei to have a break out season in 24/25. This based on his development as this last season played out. He seems to have developed confidence in his play.
It would be absolutely huge if he did and Swayman signs(which I'm assuming he will, not to get off-topic at all) could potentially put us in contender category.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Do you think they'll try to make Zadorov's big blast a weapon on the PP, either on the 1st or 2nd unit? No idea if he has any experience in being the point guy on the PP but they could potentially put him on the wing to be the one timer option from the near wall on PP2 ( like Pasta is on the opposite side on PP1 ).

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I really don’t know much about Zadarov except for a YouTube video I watched highlighting his thunderous hits . Some people claim he is no more than a 3rd pairing D others feel he has higher potential. Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem putting Lohrei with McAvoy and living and dying with the inevitable mistakes Lohrei will make . The positives should outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Do you think they'll try to make Zadorov's big blast a weapon on the PP, either on the 1st or 2nd unit? No idea if he has any experience in being the point guy on the PP but they could potentially put him on the wing to be the one timer option from the near wall on PP2 ( like Pasta is on the opposite side on PP1 ).
I don’t know. I think they’re going to keep McAvoy on the top unit and use Lehrei to QB the second unit to start. So that would put Zadorov on an elbow on PP2 over Lindholm. Wouldn’t be a bad idea but I feel like they owe it to Lindholm to give him some offensive opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I agree. Lohrei looks destined for the top 4. That would put Zadorov on the third pair, where he has spent most of his long career. He and Peeke would make for an $8M+ 3rd pair. Tough use of capspace. Maybe they find someone to take H Lindholm’s contract in that case (would probably require a first to go with Lindholm or a lot of cap retention to entice a team to take on the remaining term).

They are just going to have to wait a year for Peeke’s money to come off the books. Then hope next season Wotherspoon or some other cheap defender can be serviceable.

It’s almost too late to make those adjustments now

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Jeez! My bad. Funny how so many of the remarks apply to both of them. They both had down years. People are hoping they both have bounce back seasons. Their contracts end at age 36... Apologies @Kalus

You’re not the first and I’d bet my life savings you won’t be the last to get mixed up like this hha

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Jeez! My bad. Funny how so many of the remarks apply to both of them. They both had down years. People are hoping they both have bounce back seasons. Their contracts end at age 36... Apologies @Kalus
All good, man. Good luck to your Warriors this season by the way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad