Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
MCU imo is struggling to revive it's mojo after the huge Thanos reveal and drop

No villain or saga could ever reach that

The movies so far have been fine but not epic
The reason for that is that we have not reached the point of them really giving hints or showing much about the expected big baddie for this next chapter. We saw a version of him in Loki if that is indeed the one they go with. And if it is him, he makes a more pronounced appearance in the next Ant-Man and the Wasp movie.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Kang is coming and might be a reoccurring villain but he's not Thanos level. The next big bad has to be Doom and Secret Wars, but it's probably still years down the line. Don't forget Iron Man to Endgame was 11 years. Black Widow launched phase 4 just last year and it doesn't look like they're in any rush to move the story along. And we're still waiting for MCU X-Men, which could eclipse everything.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kang is coming and might be a reoccurring villain but he's not Thanos level. The next big bad has to be Doom and Secret Wars, but it's probably still years down the line. Don't forget Iron Man to Endgame was 11 years. Black Widow launched phase 4 just last year and it doesn't look like they're in any rush to move the story along. And we're still waiting for MCU X-Men, which could eclipse everything.

Yea I think people forget it was a decade + build up. Just felt shorter because IW/Endgame were released in back to back years.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ryan Gosling, when ssked about him joining the MCU as Nova, a rumor going around, he basically said no and mentioned wanting to be Ghost Rider...food for thought.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Does anyone else wish Hulk got to do some more fighting in Endgame? I’m not sure how it would’ve worked narratively but it felt off seeing him get a Thanos rematch in.

His snap was pretty cool though.

Yea I think people forget it was a decade + build up. Just felt shorter because IW/Endgame were released in back to back years.
The buildup was still great to watch with phase 1-3. The phase 4 movies are just good/fine.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To me the MCU just feels kind of disconnected in a way right now compared to before. It felt like every movie and every event that took place was building towards that big Thanos show down. But in the last year and a half since things got going again, we've had 6 different movies and I think 6(?) different Disney+ series now... But the connections between them are pretty small so far and not really building towards anything major yet.

One thing that I thought of the other day, that I hadn't even considered yet and kind of blew my mind when I thought about it, was the fact that we as viewers all know what happened at the end of Loki and the absolute madness that was set off by Sylvie, Loki, and He Who Remains/Kang at the end of that series.... But nobody else in the MCU actually knows about what happened yet. Thor doesn't even know Loki is alive, etc. etc.

I'm assuming Ant-Man and Black Panther are going to do a lot for setting up the future of the MCU and hopefully establishing a new Thanos level villain that momentum can start building up towards.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Does anyone else wish Hulk got to do some more fighting in Endgame? I’m not sure how it would’ve worked narratively but it felt off seeing him get a Thanos rematch in.

Yeah, the second Whedon tried to shoehorn in the whole "No, really, Banner is a romantic lead now. He and Natasha are suddenly star-crossed lovers." thing, the character lost his spine. Banner is supposed to be a bit of a dweeb, but in the original Avengers movie he was kind of a badass. Very self-possessed, crazy smart, kinda charming but haunted and dark. Since Ultron he's been a goof. I don't hate that movie as much as many seem to, and he finished the film in a dark place, but they haven't taken the character seriously since.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
What Marvel lacks right now is momentum. Theyre throwing tons of content at us right now with no follow up, making us lose any sense of a shared universe. I think a lot of that is bc of covid...but also bc of disney just wanting as much content as possible.

In phase 4 so far we have had 6 movies and 7 shows. The only type of connection has been wandavision/what if/dr strange. Many of the post credit scenes have not been abput the next movie, but about even more stuff further down the line.

What they really need is an avengers movie. I think this phase shpuldve been about wanda and culminated in an avengers house of m movie. Have your avengers be Strange, Shang Chi, Captain Marvel, sams capt america, etc. Wanda fighting her friends wouldve been really compelling high stakes stuff...and it wpuld give audiances follow through in sll the time invested in marvel content the past year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What Marvel lacks right now is momentum. Theyre throwing tons of content at us right now with no follow up, making us lose any sense of a shared universe. I think a lot of that is bc of covid...but also bc of disney just wanting as much content as possible.

In phase 4 so far we have had 6 movies and 7 shows. The only type of connection has been wandavision/what if/dr strange. Many of the post credit scenes have not been abput the next movie, but about even more stuff further down the line.

What they really need is an avengers movie. I think this phase shpuldve been about wanda and culminated in an avengers house of m movie. Have your avengers be Strange, Shang Chi, Captain Marvel, sams capt america, etc. Wanda fighting her friends wouldve been really compelling high stakes stuff...and it wpuld give audiances follow through in sll the time invested in marvel content the past year.

I agree there agree, there is a lot of movie pieces that are hard to see how they fit all together. Which is kind of expected given how intricate they've built the MCU.

They're at a weird point where they need to establish new, long term heroes (and their stories), while also having to continue the story of the existing heroes was they recover from the events of Endgame and move on with their lives.

I like it all but there is a risk of over saturation. They need to start getting some momentum going towards the next big bad and that storyline. Hopefully the next Ant Man movie does that in early 2023.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree there agree, there is a lot of movie pieces that are hard to see how they fit all together. Which is kind of expected given how intricate they've built the MCU.

They're at a weird point where they need to establish new, long term heroes (and their stories), while also having to continue the story of the existing heroes was they recover from the events of Endgame and move on with their lives.

I like it all but there is a risk of over saturation. They need to start getting some momentum going towards the next big bad and that storyline. Hopefully the next Ant Man movie does that in early 2023.
No there isn't. I waited 30 years to see the Avengers on a the big screen. I want it all and I want it now!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

I assume this will mostly be Disney+ series?

Though one thing I really think and hope will be announced at D23, which they may or may not be counting, is the Quinjet ride that will be the e-ticket attraction at Avengers Campus at California Adventure. This land was finished last year, and the show building for this ride is complete, but it was put on hold due to a "lack of funding". Hopefully this year they'll announce it's completion and how it ties into the canon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I assume this will mostly be Disney+ series?

Though one thing I really think and hope will be announced at D23, which they may or may not be counting, is the Quinjet ride that will be the e-ticket attraction at Avengers Campus at California Adventure. This land was finished last year, and the show building for this ride is complete, but it was put on hold due to a "lack of funding". Hopefully this year they'll announce it's completion and how it ties into the canon.
No, movies and maybe show's.

Reactions: MMC

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ok... so let's recap:

She Hulk - Aug 2022
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - November 2022
Ant-Man: Quantumania - Feb 2023
Secret Invasion - Spring 2023
GotG Vol 3 - May 2023
Echo - Summer 2023
Loki s2 - Summer 2023
The Marvels - July 2023
Ironheart - Fall 2023
Blade - Nov 2023
Agatha: Coven of Chaos - Winter 2023/24
Daredevil: Born Again - Spring 2024
Captain America: New World Order - May 2024
Thunderbolts - July 2024
Fantastic 4 - November 2024
Avengers: The King Dynasty - May 2025
Avengers: Secret Wars - November 2025

.. the only one I can think of that's missing is Armour Wars .. also the D+ content that will come in 2024/2025.

Next year's looking packed.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ok... so let's recap:

She Hulk - Aug 2022
GotG Vol 3 - May 2023
Echo - Summer 2023
Loki s2 - Summer 2023
The Marvels - July 2023
Ironheart - Fall 2023
Blade - Nov 2023
Thunderbolts - July 2024

.. the only one I can think of that's missing is Armour Wars .. also the D+ content that will come in 2024/2025.

In 2024 for Marvel Zombies and What if...? season 2 is early 2023.

a good list with synopsis for many of them

Reactions: BertCorbeau

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Speaking of my own viewing habits, I wonder how much of this is just about Disney+. I know longer get as excited to go out to the theater for every Marvel movie. but now if I miss say Dr. Strange I can just wait 2-3 months and see it on Disney+. This content overload may not be good for keeping up engagement at the box office but it's certainly good to promote a streaming service.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Ok... so let's recap:

She Hulk - Aug 2022
GotG Vol 3 - May 2023
Echo - Summer 2023
Loki s2 - Summer 2023
The Marvels - July 2023
Ironheart - Fall 2023
Blade - Nov 2023
Thunderbolts - July 2024

No XMen until 2052?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad