Value of: Martin Prospisil, Nicolas Deslauriers and Mathieu Olivier to Montréal

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What are you using for penalty differential rate?

This is from Evolving Hockey, forwards min 500 minutes

View attachment 913644

I release this is a minor point, but as a Devils fan I assumed Haula had him beat in penalty differential at least.

Turns out Stenlund, with a sweet 28 Penalties Taken and 8 Penalties Drawn, is the one true king of terrible Penalty Differentials.
Take into account the Majors.

A 5 minute major is a lot more significant than a 2 minute minor.

0.22x1.5 (the amount they are undervalued by)=0.33

0.33+0.82=1.15

A number that ranks, checks notes, dead last in the league.

Strome has an extra 0.05 in majors, so add 0.075 to him, he'll move up the board but still trail Pospisil, and if you want to look at the guys with more majors taken than Pospisil, only 2 guys take more than they draw, and both of them have an overall +ve differential meanning they won't be close.
Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 8.39.15 PM.png

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Take into account the Majors.

A 5 minute major is a lot more significant than a 2 minute minor.

0.22x1.5 (the amount they are undervalued by)=0.33

0.33+0.82=1.15

A number that ranks, checks notes, dead last in the league.

Strome has an extra 0.05 in majors, so add 0.075 to him, he'll move up the board but still trail Pospisil, and if you want to look at the guys with more majors taken than Pospisil, only 2 guys take more than they draw, and both of them have an overall +ve differential meanning they won't be close.View attachment 913676

how many times did he start in the neutral zone though?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
how many times did he start in the neutral zone though?
Still struggling with that basic concept?

Pospisil had 13.6% of his starts in the ozone, 7.5% in the dzone, 17.4% in the neutral zone, and 61.5% on the fly.

Or if you want to view it in a moronic way, he "started 64% of his shifts in the ozone"

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers are so welded to Deslauriers that they have traveled to Western Canada for a four game road trip with 14 forwards and only 6 healthy dmen.

In the two long years since Fletcher signed him to that awful contract, the Flyers have been outscored 46-27 at ES during Deslaurier's time on the ice.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
While I think that user is overvaluing him here. I can say that Calgary would not move him for less than a 1st. Pospisil's playstyle is very desirable to a lot of teams and at a dirt cheap cap hit for both this year and next Calgary certainly won't be selling low on him. Especially if he can transition to full time center.
I'm not overvaluing him. People used to say the same thing about me and Backlund at the same age. Defensive savants like Backlund and Pospisil are worth a lot in terms of winning games. Especially for a team that's last number one C was Nieuwendyk in the early 90s. You have to be able to match up.

Pospisil is with Huberdeau and Mantha to hold them in defensively and drive the play. IF his health holds up you'll see I'm valuing him correctly. I wouldn't move him for less than a top 15 pick.

Ledge And Dairy

I'm not overvaluing him. People used to say the same thing about me and Backlund at the same age. Defensive savants like Backlund and Pospisil are worth a lot in terms of winning games. Especially for a team that's last number one C was Nieuwendyk in the early 90s. You have to be able to match up.

Pospisil is with Huberdeau and Mantha to hold them in defensively and drive the play. IF his health holds up you'll see I'm valuing him correctly. I wouldn't move him for less than a top 15 pick.
You are overvaluing him though. He's not a defensive stalwart like you are making him out to be, he's not bad defensively but he pales in comparison to Backlund. Also Mantha is easily the best defensive forward on that line. His defensive game is literally the only thing he's consistent at every year.

I like Pospisil and I agree that he would not be available for less than a 1st. But he's also only played 1 professional game at center so far so lets pump the breaks on calling him the next Backlund.

Reactions: dgibb10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad