Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just over pay him. 8M AAV all in signing bonus. If he wants more, I think he has to be moved.
Yeah...he aint worth more than 8MM if he drops 90-100 p0ints next year.
Give your head a shake. How easy do you think it is to find the Marners of the world?
Give me a break

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Give your head a shake. How easy do you think it is to find the Marners of the world?
Give me a break

Marner is not 8 million as of today, in the future it's a different story.

We can't build a damn team that will win multiple cups if we are just paying out top dollar after top dollar. Some players will have to be somewhat conservative.

Sure, we can make the effort to not give out bad contracts outside of the star players, but having flexibility to still add some big names is important.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Give me a break

Explain to me how the team wins with

Matthews + Tavares - 22M
Marner 9-10M
Nylander 7M

That's potentially 39M in four guys. Half the salary cap. I think we would be fine if they each took a bit less to allow an extra 3-4 M AAV to allow another top 4 D.

That would also mean Gardiner is gone so not only does the team NOT have the money to improve the defense it gets considerably worse.

Marner would return a top pairing guy and a solid depth piece I think OR can be used in a package to get a Seth Jones type trade.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
David Pastrnak put up 75 games 34-36-70 points and got 6 X $6.67 mil per.

Marner recorded 82 games 22-47- 69 points last year as a comparable at similar ages playing the same position RW.

Once that # starts getting over $7 mil for Marner, he will be in position to need to prove it first otherwise he doesn't have the stats to merit it yet.
So the problem with this is risk. Marner get 7MM all day long with the cap increase. His performance after January was something like 1.13 points per game. He also killed it in the POS. If Marner breaks the 90 point mark and approaches 100, he has a real claim to 10MM. With Tavares on his line, that is possible.
He could also get hurt so there is risk there for him too.
He will not take a 3MM/yr discount from his perceived value. Can anyone see Nylander taking a 1MM discount? I don't. A compromise is a 8.5MM early signing. If that is an overpay, then the leafs better plan for the possibility of Core roster changes

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Marner and Matty try to blow the bank up on these contracts, and it hurts the team, they will be crapped on buy our media and fans for being selfish, especially if those contracts costs us other players and assets.

Therefore I can't possibly see them doing this. They should come in at good value and offer the organization flexibility for other moves.
I'm not expecting them to come at super cap-friendly deals but I'm expecting them to come at fair value.

Reactions: DanM

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Marner recorded 82 games 22-47- 69 points last year as a comparable at similar ages playing the same position RW.

Once that # starts getting over $7 mil for Marner, he will be in position to need to prove it first otherwise he doesn't have the stats to merit it yet.
Ok, but that has nothing to do with my post.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Ultimately, a player or two will need to give us a slight discount for this to work

If not, Matthews will need to be locked up regardless
Depending on their asking price, you lock up either Marner or Nylander and the other one gets a bridge deal
The player getting the bridge deal will be shopped as I'm not losing an asset like Marner or Nylander for nothing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ok, but that has nothing to do with my post.

It does if you read between the lines.

If Marner will not sign for < $7 mil and if Dubas is not going to offer more than > $7 mil because Marner hasn't earned it then the answer really is there is no answer to your question because the sides wold be too far apart on value.

Unless you're suggesting Dubas offers a 3 year X $6.5 mil deal and Marner accepts that and sets out to "prove it" on his next contract or he will wait until next summer when his stats are better to warrant more $$.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It does if you read between the lines.

If Marner will not sign for < $7 mil and if Dubas is not going to offer more than > $7 mil because Marner hasn't earned it then the answer really is there is no answer to your question because the sides wold be too far apart on value.

Unless you're suggesting Dubas offers a 3 year X $6.5 mil deal and Marner accepts that and sets out to "prove it" on his next contract or he will wait until next summer when his stats are better to warrant more $$.
I guess you didn't understand the question there was no suggestion, it was just a question.

The question was,
I wonder what Dubas could offer that would entice him to sign now?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Explain to me how the team wins with

Matthews + Tavares - 22M
Marner 9-10M
Nylander 7M

That's potentially 39M in four guys. Half the salary cap. I think we would be fine if they each took a bit less to allow an extra 3-4 M AAV to allow another top 4 D.

That would also mean Gardiner is gone so not only does the team NOT have the money to improve the defense it gets considerably worse.

Marner would return a top pairing guy and a solid depth piece I think OR can be used in a package to get a Seth Jones type trade.

Tavares - 11
Matthews - 10
Marner - 7.5
Nylander - 6.5

yeah, 35 million is more realistic. Marner is the wild card here. You're right; that extra 4 million is very important to get Dermott locked up long term

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

The cap will have gone up significantly since Pasternak signed his deal and Marner signs his.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The discussion is next year. You think he is going to take 7.5? He will put up 90 easily.

Marner is probably worth about 6.9 right now. If we wait until next season; his value could go as high as 9.0 million. If they settle on something between 7 and 9 now; it would be ideal. Anything under 8 million; and i'm probably doing that deal right now. I would aim for 7.5 x 8 this year. $60,000,000 over 8 years right now is pretty good for both parties. If i'm Marner; i'd realistically wait it out; but even players are conscious of things like one injury and your done + maybe leaving a little cap room for the boys

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I guess you didn't understand the question there was no suggestion, it was just a question.

The question was,
I wonder what Dubas could offer that would entice him to sign now?

There were reports out there that Marner will be seeking Eichel $10 mil per money per season..Not sure how much truth there is to those however.

If that is truly the ask then I can't see Dubas having any option but to wait and have Marner prove it first. With JT or Matthews as his centre next year betting Mitch feels he would be willing to in fact "prove it".

If Dubas is at $7 mil (based on actual comparables) and Marner camp at $10 mil (based on future potential) then its hard to see a solution with a $3 mil gap/season. Can't imagine Dubas saying "lets split the difference and go 8 X $8.5 and call it a day".

I'd also predict if Marner was willing to take $7-$7.5 mil now, he would likely already be re-signed as that is a number I could see Dubas offering and willing to accept also.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
There were reports out there that Marner will be seeking Eichel $10 mil per money per season..Not sure how much truth there is to those however.

If that is truly the ask then I can't see Dubas having any option but to wait and have Marner prove it first.

If Dubas is at $7 mil (based on actual comparables) and Marner camp at $10 mil (based on future potential) then its hard to see a solution with a $3 mil gap/season. Can't imagine Dubas saying "lets split the difference and go 8 X $8.5 and call it a day".

I'd also predict if Marner was willing to take $7-$7.5 mil now, he would likely already be re-signed as that is a number I could see Dubas offering and willing to accept also.
Agreed, barring a pretty large deal Marner will wait.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We could bridge Marner and Nylander. If both do well at the end of their bridge deal, you have the option to sell one high and extend the other. Luke Fox thinks Matthews gets more than Tavares which I don't agree with.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We could bridge Marner and Nylander. If both do well at the end of their bridge deal, you have the option to sell one high and extend the other. Luke Fox thinks Matthews gets more than Tavares which I don't agree with.

I'd bridge Nylander

I'd offer Mitch 8 X 8.75

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Me either.
Who is Luke Fox?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'd bridge Nylander

I'd offer Mitch 8 X 8.75
I'm thinking you are in the right range to get a deal done early. People do not realize that Pastrnak's contract was 6 years...not 8. The extra 2 years cost. Maybe Marner compromises with a 5-6 year deal. I only know this. If a deal isn't signed by the 1st game of the regular season....if Marner scores a hat trick that night...I will have to medicate myself to get to sleep.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad