Player Discussion Marner

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If doesn't perform well tonight I really hope they bench him.

That might be what it takes to finally get him to waive.

A good old booing and benching combo usually does the trick.

how can the PR coach not coach him to say anything but what he said.

How clueless do you need to be to say this stuff unless you actually believe it.

Maybe it's just who he is. A lot of people dislike his attitude and I mean a lot.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Must be internal analytics because the public ones are bad
Leafs PP is the 4 worst in the league so this keep doing the same thing over and over in Marner's head seems bad analytics . 4 of the top 12 highest forwards in the game and 4th worst PP in the league .. To me the Leafs are getting screwed on value of contracts when even with a man up they can score.

1729967686916.png

The problem is not only this year.. Take it all the way back to last February (prior the playoffs)

1729967888134.png

Reactions: arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Must be internal analytics because the public ones are bad
This reeks of purposely not seeing the problem because you are part of the problem.

To acknowledge there is a problem would require recognizing your role in it, and we know Marner et al just aren’t built that way.

At least Rielly and Nylander can man up and say they stunk. Matthews and Tavares are a bit better. Marner? Not a chance. Just keeps spewing the same mindless cliches.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Was it really? If this is true, ffs what else was in there. Why even continue on with this goofball?
It was reported at the time of negotiations, he wanted to be acknowledged as Matthews equal in terms of compensation and leadership recognition. The way they alternated the A, and the timing of him getting the A leads me to believe it to be true.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It was reported at the time of negotiations, he wanted to be acknowledged as Matthews equal in terms of compensation and leadership recognition. The way they alternated the A, and the timing of him getting the A leads me to believe it to be true.
I don’t know man…..seems like a reach I don’t think he’s that bad

Reactions: francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
A couple of interesting points from Mark Masters:
  • Marner apparently said, "We need to turn this around, or it's gonna get ugly."
  • Berube reportedly met with Marner and Matthews, telling them they were playing too loose.
I’m curious if those were Marner’s exact words because, in my opinion, they’re poorly chosen. They should be turning it around because they hate losing and want success, not because it’s "gonna get ugly." It’s strange to me that Marner always focuses his interviews to outside reactions than about winning itself. He really cannot handle the spotlight of Toronto.

Also, that’s not what you want to hear from an assistant captain. Negativity, doubt... "if we lose, it’s gonna get ugly?" That’s neither inspiring nor confidence-building.

But id need to see the actual interview.

Reactions: Zero1 and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
View attachment 921811

While three of the Leafs' stars and their coach have taken responsibility for the Leafs' recent struggles, Marner continues to fall into his old ways. In speaking with media following practice on Friday, Marner was asked about the team's struggles. Every answer he gave began with 'we' and there was nothing from him that indicated he was taking responsibility himself.

Although Marner is tied for the team lead in points with Nylander with seven, the pending UFA has just 1 goal in 8 games and has just 2 points in his last five games. For someone looking to secure a long-term extension with the Leafs, not taking accountability for his part in the Leafs' recent struggles likely doesn't bode well for his future in Toronto. There is lots of season left for that to change, but as of right now, Marner appears to be the only one of the 'Core Four' not shouldering any of the blame for the troubling start himself.

With Bell officially out of the Leafs business, expect the gloves to come off at tsn when it comes to criticizing the team.

They better turn things around quickly or the guys like Marner will be facing potentially the most hostile media group since 2014.when the rebuild began

Reactions: Mess and LeafSteel

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
With Bell officially out of the Leafs business, expect the gloves to come off at tsn when it comes to criticizing the team.

They better turn things around quickly or the guys like Marner will be facing potentially the most hostile media group since 2014.when the rebuild began
Which is a positive thing. Other than the homer fans and marnersites most will agree with hostile criticism towards the team.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don’t know man…..seems like a reach I don’t think he’s that bad
It was considered a reach when we first heard reports that he wanted to be paid similarly to Matthews. This could have been the Marner camp's way of portraying their demands wasn't about greed, but rather being appreciated as being equally valuable to the team as Matthews.
All things considered I dont find it hard to believe.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Again, what Ferris actually said is "That is one of the factors that you bring into it, that there is a comparison of players on his team". Not exclusively. Not who. Not whether all attempted comparables were accepted by the team. Not how they were compared, or that status was ignored. Not what other comparables and factors Marner's side brought into the negotiations. Not what comparables and factors the team's side brought into the negotiations. Not how the contract was formed. Not that Marner's contract was inflated or constrained by internal contracts, or derived from UFA contracts.

The only information you actually have is that, according to Ferris, one of the factors that Marner' side wanted to bring into the negotiation were teammate comparisons. And that Marner's contract doesn't correlate with Tavares, but does correlate with the history of post-ELC contracts.
The "information" (which isn't mine) clearly says non-Leaf players were not used as comparables. So the only factors that could have been used were the Tavares and Matthews contracts.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
A couple of interesting points from Mark Masters:
  • Marner apparently said, "We need to turn this around, or it's gonna get ugly."
  • Berube reportedly met with Marner and Matthews, telling them they were playing too loose.
I’m curious if those were Marner’s exact words because, in my opinion, they’re poorly chosen. They should be turning it around because they hate losing and want success, not because it’s "gonna get ugly." It’s strange to me that Marner always focuses his interviews to outside reactions than about winning itself. He really cannot handle the spotlight of Toronto.

Also, that’s not what you want to hear from an assistant captain. Negativity, doubt... "if we lose, it’s gonna get ugly?" That’s neither inspiring nor confidence-building.

But id need to see the actual interview.
what I want to hear him say is something like, I play the least important and most easily replaceable position on the team, and the regular season doesn't matter anyway, so why is anyone even asking me for comment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad