Player Discussion Marner

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Yeah 8 years wont age well, imagine how over paid Mitch will be when he loses his great skating ability. Give him the Matthews term except this time it’s our idea.
Nah I wouldn't waste that cap space the next three years will probably be Matthews best, we need the best possible roster in that period. Matthews could bolt after his current contract weather we succeed or fail, or he may start to decline. We've given Marner more than enough rope here. He is what he is at this point.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
the narrative was that Marner would come out flying like Nylander last year and make it impossible to not want to re-sign him

unfortunately for mitch the reality is he starts slow every single year, even going back to junior. His summer routine must be awful because it's every year with this guy. He picks it up around December.

The pattern goes back to his junior days. I remember some folks fretting in his D+1 when he was sent back to London and he took a few weeks to get going.

I don't doubt he will heat up but it will likely mean there's a higher probability that a new contract won't be agreed upon until closer to the spring (at the earliest - if both sides still want to go that path)

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
the narrative was that Marner would come out flying like Nylander last year and make it impossible to not want to re-sign him

unfortunately for mitch the reality is he starts slow every single year, even going back to junior. His summer routine must be awful because it's every year with this guy. He picks it up around December.

Starts slow and ends slower.

Might even be slow in general given his decision making

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
And look where that brilliant strategy has taken the team.

Marner is a stone cold loser. Slow, soft, pouty, petty, greedy. Head filled with shambles.
Well everyone is an armchair quarterback. I’ll just believe in the people being paid to make the correct decisions over some internet poster.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Best part of going to the game last night was booing this loser. A disgrace to the maple leaf jersey. A real life Mr burns in terms of greed.

Now that you mention it, envision a 27 year old Mr Burns in real life, dead ringer for Money Mitch.

Well everyone is an armchair quarterback. I’ll just believe in the people being paid to make the correct decisions over some internet poster.

The people being paid have clearly not made the right decisions.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I want to see him gone but we all know he will thrive in the next place he goes and this will look bad. But I still want him gone

I don’t see him thriving elsewhere at all. He’s going to have lesser line mates and I expect him to mail it in once he signs the giant long term deal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Focusing on those playoffs

The one thing we can all agree on (I think) is that the stars all need to buy in to the new system and do their part as a team player. Being on a certain line because better stats when contracts come up is a terrible look.

Willy went all out last year for his contract but I think overall he didn't hurt the team for instance. He was pretty clutch and the overall impressions here are positive despite most everyone agreeing he was overpaid for the effort.

Now with the new coach, Mitch needs to accept its a new style and maybe the points won't be there and maybe AM MM is not the best look for the system. Having them stop playing for the coach already is just a bad omen. They may as well blow it up if that's the level of entitlement.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The one thing we can all agree on (I think) is that the stars all need to buy in to the new system and do their part as a team player. Being on a certain line because better stats when contracts come up is a terrible look.

Willy went all out last year for his contract but I think overall he didn't hurt the team for instance. He was pretty clutch and the overall impressions here are positive despite most everyone agreeing he was overpaid for the effort.

Now with the new coach, Mitch needs to accept its a new style and maybe the points won't be there and maybe AM MM is not the best look for the system. Having them stop playing for the coach already is just a bad omen. They may as well blow it up if that's the level of entitlement.
From what I’ve seen the Captain has had plenty of opportunities to bury the puck but he hasn’t. Must be Marner’s fault but when the Captain scores it’s in spite of Marner. I see.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Marner stunk last game.

It was a brutal effort. He was, by far, the worst player on the team. I doubt all those boo's were for him but they may as well have been.

That was a standout pathetic performance in a game full of pathetic performances from the entire team.

Missing the playoffs while only booking seventy five points isn't a good look in a contract year. This is just so typical of Marner. There's a lot riding on the line and he doesn't do well in situations like this.

The bigger the occasion the smaller his performance.

So we get to be treated to playoffs Marner the whole season. Aren't we lucky as fans. This could still get a lot uglier before it gets better.

I can't wait to see Marner riding pine if he has another smelly game like the last.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1729954460368.png

While three of the Leafs' stars and their coach have taken responsibility for the Leafs' recent struggles, Marner continues to fall into his old ways. In speaking with media following practice on Friday, Marner was asked about the team's struggles. Every answer he gave began with 'we' and there was nothing from him that indicated he was taking responsibility himself.

Although Marner is tied for the team lead in points with Nylander with seven, the pending UFA has just 1 goal in 8 games and has just 2 points in his last five games. For someone looking to secure a long-term extension with the Leafs, not taking accountability for his part in the Leafs' recent struggles likely doesn't bode well for his future in Toronto. There is lots of season left for that to change, but as of right now, Marner appears to be the only one of the 'Core Four' not shouldering any of the blame for the troubling start himself.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
View attachment 921811

While three of the Leafs' stars and their coach have taken responsibility for the Leafs' recent struggles, Marner continues to fall into his old ways. In speaking with media following practice on Friday, Marner was asked about the team's struggles. Every answer he gave began with 'we' and there was nothing from him that indicated he was taking responsibility himself.

Although Marner is tied for the team lead in points with Nylander with seven, the pending UFA has just 1 goal in 8 games and has just 2 points in his last five games. For someone looking to secure a long-term extension with the Leafs, not taking accountability for his part in the Leafs' recent struggles likely doesn't bode well for his future in Toronto. There is lots of season left for that to change, but as of right now, Marner appears to be the only one of the 'Core Four' not shouldering any of the blame for the troubling start himself.

If doesn't perform well tonight I really hope they bench him.

That might be what it takes to finally get him to waive.

Reactions: hullsy47

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I want to see him gone but we all know he will thrive in the next place he goes and this will look bad. But I still want him gone
Sometimes it's best for both sides to have a fresh start. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a player needs. My personal belief about Marner is, that he isn't a true #1 franchise guy. If he's your 3rd or 4th best player and he's being paid and used that way, he and the team will excel. If he's demanding Matthews/Mackinnon money and being used in most situations but not performing to his contract, it's an issue.

At 9-10M I don't mind him, we all know his ego is too big and he'd never accept that kind of contract. But that's what he is and there's nothing wrong with that. You just can't demand top dollar and be as pissy as him while not producing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad