Player Discussion Marner

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
On a real team. By real team, I mean a team that actually has the goal of winning a Stanley Cup.

If Rantanen walks I could 100% see Colorado taking whatever money allocated for him and offering to Marner. Might be cheaper for them to go to Marner. It’s identical pending UFA situations. Rantanen could stay but he could leave, I’m sure he feels like he is worth just as much as Nathan MacKinnon

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If Rantanen walks I could 100% see Colorado taking whatever money allocated for him and offering to Marner. Might be cheaper for them to go to Marner. It’s identical pending UFA situations. Rantanen could stay but he could leave, I’m sure he feels like he is worth just as much as Nathan MacKinnon
Rantanen might just be. But for any team with Cup aspirations, Marner is not. He's NOT a $10 million dollar player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rantanen might just be. But for any team with Cup aspirations, Marner is not. He's NOT a $10 million dollar player.

On a we want to win buy in team. 8-9m. On a we need him to win team like 10m-11m. On the Leafs he probably think 13-14m. At which point Marner should be fired out of. A clown Canon shot from coast to coast.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
This has always been my criticism of Marner, he just moves around in open ice, lifting an opponents stick is as close as he wants to get to a dirty area of the ice. I'm sure this is exactly what Berube was getting at: the difference between competing hard and working hard. Marner works hard, but his compete level is almost nonexistent.

Watch the Bruins series and he looks like he's in a shinny game.
When I watch Marner I’m starting to see a lot of extra movement(wasted) like he’s figure skating. He puts in a lot of extra wasted effort. Hes got a bad habit on the PK when it’s time to change he moves to the far side away from the benches and stays out that little bit longer.

I think the most glaring thing was the McAvoy play in the playoffs. That sums up Mitch in the playoffs. Not willing to go the extra mile.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When I watch Marner I’m starting to see a lot of extra movement(wasted) like he’s figure skating. He puts in a lot of extra wasted effort. Hes got a bad habit on the PK when it’s time to change he moves to the far side away from the benches and stays out that little bit longer.

I think the most glaring thing was the McAvoy play in the playoffs. That sums up Mitch in the playoffs. Not willing to go the extra mile.
Is it not willing or not able to go the extra mile? All we know is they don’t do it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He is always making pointless movements. He gets stung on them and throws away the puck all the time because of it.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Agreed, his numbers prove it. His points are more a reflection of heavy minutes and playing with skilled linemates than his own ability.

Marner has 1 goal, 7 points in 7 games, and is a -2.
  • 3 assists are on the PP.
  • 2 assists are phantom (one from a clearing attempt, the other a dump-in).
  • 1 assist was a shot attempt creating rebound which came 5v5 while playing on a $36 million line.

No matter what the Marner fans are trying to sell, it's not looking good.
Aye, you left out his GWG, shocker...

He's been below average this season, but still better than Matthews. Matthews, the captain, and his 13M+ salary is the guy to look to for more at this point. Where are the Matthew's threads??

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

He's been below average this season, but still better than Matthews. Matthews, the captain, and his 13M+ salary is the guy to look to for more at this point. Where are the Matthew's threads??
When Marner collects multiple Art Ross’s (Rocket equivalent), multiple 100+pt seasons, and plays the hardest skater position, he can then be given the benefit of the doubt like Matthews.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I didn't miss it, I listed the empty calorie type points.

And only because you asked it - frankly I'm not excited about his goal. I actually indicated this was one of the most common ways he scored before the season starts. It's his favorite way to score and he will cheat a bit to get these opportunities.

Here is an example (photos attached) from last season, notice how Marner is already heading out of the zone while reaching for the puck (photo 1). The leafs recovered the puck and send him in for a breakaway goal (2nd photo)..but how did he know that his teammates were gonna recover the loose puck? If you watch him on defense, he constantly pressures the D trying this play.

How many goals like this has he scored in the playoffs? none?

Keefe referred to playoff type goals (around the net) and Berube is talking about more N-S play. And Broudreau mentioned Leafs are always looking to jump from defense to transition to offense and in the playoffs it costs them. This is an example of what Broudeau was talking about.

1729779847817.jpeg

1729779873411.jpeg

Last edited:

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think it's going to have to fall into the 11.75-12.75 mil over 8 years for management (and player's representative) to sell it to the local market.

The fanbase is only going to be tolerant of Matthews doing stuff that's more out of left field in terms of contact term/structure and survive the PR battle.

12.6 essentially gives him the Matthews raise
Yup. It cannot be any higher than that given the toxicity associated with Marner and the lack of playoff success.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I've come to realize a lot of my dislike for Marner doesn't actually come from Marner.

Yes he comes across as a whiny spoiled snot in interviews. Yes he's an overpaid underachieving choke artist. Yes he's a spineless penalty box crybaby.

But up until recently I still liked him as a player despite all those things.

It's how polarizing he is. Even worse are his supporters. A player this divisive causes a rift in the fan base.

It results in these childish almost unreadable threads.

One way or another I hope he's gone next summer. Even if it means he walks as a free agent. If ever there was a time where losing a hundred point player for nothing was addition by subtraction this is it.

Nothing would say "we have no respect for our fans" more than running it back with him again.

Good riddance.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
When Marner collects multiple Art Ross’s (Rocket equivalent), multiple 100+pt seasons, and plays the hardest skater position, he can then be given the benefit of the doubt like Matthews.

How many Art Ross' has Marner won?
How many Rockets has AM won?

What is the Ross to Rocket ratio?

I've come to realize a lot of my dislike for Marner doesn't actually come from Marner.

Yes he comes across as a whiny spoiled snot in interviews. Yes he's an overpaid underachieving choke artist. Yes he's a spineless penalty box crybaby.

But up until recently I still liked him as a player despite all those things.

It's how polarizing he is. Even worse are his supporters. A player this divisive causes a rift in the fan base.

It results in these childish almost unreadable threads.

One way or another I hope he's gone next summer. Even if it means he walks as a free agent. If ever there was a time where losing a hundred point player for nothing was addition by subtraction this is it.

Nothing would say "we have no respect for our fans" more than running it back with him again.

Good riddance.

The money and the contractually stapled to PP1 and AM34 are the worst part to me. Obviously double that concern in the PO.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I do think at some point they have to ask him, is being a maple leaf more important to you or being the highest paid winger. That’s the hard thing Marner will have to wrestle with. How bad do you really want to be here? I could honestly see 11.93, 8 year deal full NMC. Puts him ahead of Willie and Pasta
He will go down as either first or second in points in Maple Leafs history if he stays and remains healthy. I can't see him passing this up. 11.93 is a very reasonable guess but I'm betting it's 12.93.

I think the Selke nomination and being used in all scenarios will get him a bit more than just 500k over Willy. They even had him playing defense a couple of games last year. Hopefully the team stands firm and he does take a discount but I'm not holding my breath. They just gave Willy a 5 million dollar raise.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yep Marner is being picked on.

Avg shot distances season vs playoffs. Look whose at the bottom of these charts. Note being at the bottom of these charts is a bad thing. And he's the worst by more than a little. Green is good, red is bad.

1729789472197.png

1729789497343.png

Slot shot season vs playoffs

2023:
1729789535903.png

2024:
1729789621500.png

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep Marner is being picked on.

Avg shot distances season vs playoffs. Look whose at the bottom of these charts. Note being at the bottom of these charts is a bad thing. And he's the worst by more than a little. Green is good, red is bad.

View attachment 920891

View attachment 920892

Slot shot season vs playoffs

2023:
View attachment 920893
2024:
View attachment 920895
So if I'm understanding this correctly, in the playoffs last season, Marner on average shot from 22+ feet further away from the net then during the regular season.

That's so bizarre, it doesn't even seem real.

Reactions: stickty111

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He will go down as either first or second in points in Maple Leafs history if he stays and remains healthy. I can't see him passing this up. 11.93 is a very reasonable guess but I'm betting it's 12.93.

I think the Selke nomination and being used in all scenarios will get him a bit more than just 500k over Willy. They even had him playing defense a couple of games last year. Hopefully the team stands firm and he does take a discount but I'm not holding my breath. They just gave Willy a 5 million dollar raise.
Sample size for 2024 was only a few games and Marner barely gets any shots on net. i know he didnt even record a shot in at least one...but when he does, they are far from the net. If he went to the net more (physical area) chances are he'd score more. Doesn't get much worse.

Wasn't it Gretzky #1 that said "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"? Someone tell Gretzky #2.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Sample size for 2024 was only a few games and Marner barely gets any shots on net. i know he didnt even record a shot in at least one...but when he does, they are far from the net. If he went to the net more (physical area) chances are he'd score more. Doesn't get much worse.

More importantly he could actually playmake more effectively if he was more of a scoring threat.

In the NBA and NHL, pure passers are super easy to defend. You have to attack to open up the pass. Not the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad