Player Discussion Marner

Jun 27, 2005
I literally work a full time job and still post here as much as I do. What are you golfing for 12 hours a day? None of your bullshit adds up.
I almost took that post seriously. I hope you're proud that you posted 16,000 times to a Leafs forum in 7 years because I'm a bit embarrassed that I've wasted the time to post 3100 times in almost 20 years.

This is getting boring. I repeat:

You ignored my questions, yet you keep expecting me to answer yours while also putting up with your insults. Why can't you discuss things without making personal insults? How is fair that you keep peppering me with insults and asking me questions when you refuse to answer my questions?
I answered your question with a paragraph, you of course ignored everything, just as predicted. What's wrong with you?

Jun 27, 2005
You did not answer my questions. Will you ever stop lying?

Marner is a fantastic player during the regular season but in the playoffs, he's much less effective.

Do you disagree with this statement?
Is this different from what you see when you watch him play?

Everyone on the Leafs is less effective in the playoffs because the rules change.
Marner is usually very good defensively in the playoffs and the numbers confirm that.
The entire team is bad offensively in the playoffs especially the PP.
Has Marner had some disappointing series, of course, but so has everyone else on the team yet haters like you ignore that.

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Everyone on the Leafs is less effective in the playoffs because the rules change.
Marner is usually very good defensively in the playoffs and the numbers confirm that.
Has Marner had some disappointing series, of course, but so has everyone else on the team yet haters like you ignore that.
I though golf was a good way to relieve stress and relax..I guess not..lighten up

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You're wrong. Historically, playoff scoring is about 4-5% less than in the regular season. Marner's drops off more than any of our other stars. JT's number are awful as well, Matthews isn't great either but Nylander's been great. You like numbers so much, here are their numbers over the last 5 seasons (posted by someone else but I have no reason to believe that the math isn't correct):

Marner: 24% less points per game in the playoffs
Nylander: 2% less points per game in the playoffs

Conslusion - you dismissing criticism of Marner with "the entire team is bad" is lame. Not everyone on our team drops off, Marner though has been pretty bad.

Now do you remember this insulting post you made?

Aren't you supposed to be a DB admin or something?
Shouldn't you be able to understand basic numbers?
It's a pretty lame job but at least you can post your nonsense ignoring reality all day long.

This was my answer to you, are you ever going to answer my question?

I have never been a DB admin so I would never have posted that. Makes one wonder what else you're "pretty sure" about that's completely wrong. BTW, what makes you say that it's a lame job? I've worked with ORACLE DBA's and UNIX DBA's myself, both jobs seem quite demanding, both are very important and the people I've worked with in those positions have been very capable people. I dunno man, your assessment seems pretty lame to me.

IMO, there is no such thing as a lame job. If you do honest work for honest pay, there's nothing wrong with that no matter what job you do. Putting people down based on the kind of work they do makes you seem like rather pompous and full of yourself. JMHO.

Jun 27, 2005
You're wrong. Historically, playoff scoring is about 4-5% less than in the regular season. Marner's drops off more than any of our other stars. JT's number are awful as well, Matthews isn't great either but Nylander's been great. You like numbers so much, here are their numbers over the last 5 seasons (posted by someone else but I have no reason to believe that the math isn't correct):

Marner: 24% less points per game in the playoffs
Nylander: 2% less points per game in the playoffs

Conslusion - you dismissing criticism of Marner with "the entire team is bad" is lame. Not everyone on our team drops off, Marner though has been pretty bad.

Now do you remember this insulting post you made?

Aren't you supposed to be a DB admin or something?
Shouldn't you be able to understand basic numbers?
It's a pretty lame job but at least you can post your nonsense ignoring reality all day long.

This was my answer to you, are you ever going to answer my question?

I have never been a DB admin so I would never have posted that. Makes one wonder what else you're "pretty sure" about that's completely wrong. BTW, what makes you say that it's a lame job? I've worked with ORACLE DBA's and UNIX DBA's myself, both jobs seem quite demanding, both are very important and the people I've worked with in those positions have been very capable people. I dunno man, your assessment seems pretty lame to me.

IMO, there is no such thing as a lame job. If you do honest work for honest pay, there's nothing wrong with that no matter what job you do. Putting people down based on the kind of work they do makes you seem like rather pompous and full of yourself. JMHO.
Wow, once again, you ignored all the defensive stuff. It doesn't matter f Nylander scores more if he's giving up even more goals against. I've repeated that so many times yet once again you ignored the defensive end and only mention points.

I'm resigned to the fact that you just don't care about defensive play or defensive stats and the only tool in your tool box is points and you'll just ignore everything else.

As to the DB admin stuff. First, ORACLE DBA's is a thing because Oracle is a DB. UNIX DBA's is a thing but not in this context because UNIX is not a DB. You can be a UNIX ORACLE DBA but the way you wrote it shows a clear lack of understanding or just bad writing.

I know lots of DBA's. If you don't understand the difference between working ON a DB for a company like Oracle as opposed to working WITH a DB at a large bank or airline then you wouldn't understand my perspective.

The fact that your name is reference to an early 80's player indicates that you are over 50 give or take, I'm going with 57(±4). If you're that old and "work with data" and have all day to post from work, I predict with some certainty that you missed out on the tech glory days and didn't get any shares. Maybe you should have been in school learning to engineer things instead of being a "semi-professional" gambler.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We're talking about haters whining for years. I've followed what the haters have said. What my posting on GDT threads has to with you guys whining I have no clue. During golf season I'm golfing 5 times a week. I don't have the time or the interest in posting ALL DAY LONG about your whining.

Why do you people NEVER and I mean NEVER ever respond the the actual stats that I post? Once again, the haters become very predictable.
Ive responded to Marner having most points many times. Ive posted all the goals numerous times and spent hrs disecting plays. Marner fans go LULZ and dont want to discuss. So im glad you are willing to right now.

1) Who is the play driver on these points Marner has? Answer, not Marner. If Marner was actually play driving as much as his linemates then their stats wouldnt look so pathetic.

Here are all the Leafs playoff goals from 2023, Marners most productive postseason.

Which goals was Marner the play driver?

Last playoffs, he had 1 goal, 3 points in 7 games. Cant produce when he doesnt have his elite linemates making the critical play that leads to goals.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Dude, we're talking about defense. Pay attention. Now show all goals against and we have a discussion BUT make sure that you have a realist sample size. I would love to see all the goals against in the last 3 playoff seasons.
So you don’t want to talk about his offense? But your chart indicates offense?

Okay so you want to discuss defense?

Should I post Marners seven giveaways or misplays in critical playoff games that ended up in our net? Ive only done it 100 times in the past.

Let’s go one for one, posting highlights of bad plays that led to goals by the core.

Here’s my first one:

Montreal vs. Leafs, Game 6. Marner, with all the time in the world to clear the puck, flips it out of play for a penalty. Montreal scores on the 5-on-3 power play, goes up 2-0 in the elimination game, and, of course, wins:

Jun 27, 2005
So you want me to post the 7 giveaways or misplays in critical playoff games that endes up in our net?

Lets go one for one postinf highlights of bad plays that led to goals against by the core.

Here is my first one:

Montreal vs Leafs game 6, Marner with all the time in the world to dump the puck and instead he flips it out of play for a penalty. Montreal scores on the 5-3 pp and goes up 2-0 in the elimination game and of course wins:
Now do, Nylander, Tavares and Matthews.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Now do, Nylander, Tavares and Matthews.
... your the one arguing Marner is better than them defensively. You must have evidence to support your claim right?

The burden of proof lies with those who make the claim. - Carl Sagan

1 for 1... come on post one, I have a list of Marner postseason GA giveaways im excited to post. You get 3 players, I only get Marner. This should be easy for you, right? Marner is way betrer defensively!

Jun 27, 2005
Should I post Marners seven giveaways or misplays in critical playoff games that ended up in our net? Ive only done it 100 times in the past.
By the way, the Leafs have had 72 playoff goals scored against them in just the last 3 seasons and you're going even farther back than that.

... your the one arguing Marner is better than them defensively. You must have evidence to support your claim right?
Yes and I've posted the stats multiple time in this thread in the last week. I even replied to you one with them. PAY ATTENTION.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
By the way, the Leafs have had 72 playoff goals scored against them in just the last 3 seasons and you're going even farther back than that.
72! Im only posting his mess ups from elimination games. Theres even more from the non elimination games.

But... 72 is good. You must have alot of goals caused by the other core 3 you can share to prove they are the problem and not defensive expert Marner.

Jun 27, 2005
72! Im only posting his mess ups from elimination games. Theres even more from the non elimination games.

But... 72 is good. You must have alot of goals caused by the other core 3 you can share to prove they are the problem and not defensive expert Marner.
I posted stats but you guys ignore them.

I think that I might have figured you haters out. You notice Nylander's flashy goals and Marners 7 really bad mistakes (all player make them) and ignore everything in between because they don't make the highlights. You ignore, that word pops up a lot with you people, the countless times that Nylander is coming back slow or hanging out at the blue line waiting for stretch pass while the other teams scores. But much more importantly you miss/ignore the incredible defense plays that Marner makes almost every shift because they are routine and don't make the highlights. I wonder if you guys don't actually watch the games and only watch Sports Center.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Yes and I've posted the stats multiple time in this thread in the last week. I even replied to you one with them. PAY ATTENTION.
1) So, you don’t want to break down each goal and figure out who the real play driver was?

2) You can’t come up with examples of goals against that were definitely caused by other core players, but I’ve got a list for Marner?

... And yet, you're upset no one wants to engage with your paper stats?

Here's the reality: of the seven breakdowns by Marner, most of the other core players got a minus because of his dumb plays. Yet, you can’t show me a single instance where Marner got a minus solely because of their mistakes.

Plus, I can point to two cases where Marner line-changed, and the incoming winger took the minus when Marner should have. One of those plays was Nylander, and the other was a long shift where Matthews and Marner got caught. Marner got off but it was a nad line change and Boston saw that and attacked it, leaving Matthews and Domi to take the minus.

There are so many variables that your pretty stats miss, but the eye test doesn't.

But you don’t want to review game tape, do you? Probably because you know it doesn’t paint Marner in a good light.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I posted stats but you guys ignore them.

I think that I might have figured you haters out. You notice Nylander's flashy goals and Marners 7 really bad mistakes (all player make them) and ignore everything in between because they don't make the highlights. You ignore, that word pops up a lot with you people, the countless times that Nylander is coming back slow or hanging out at the blue line waiting for stretch pass while the other teams scores. But much more importantly you miss/ignore the incredible defense plays that Marner makes almost every shift because they are routine and don't make the highlights. I wonder if you guys don't actually watch the games and only watch Sports Center.

Best defense is a good offense.

Do you have any video of the other core 3 "pulling the chute"? See video below.

Jeez, think of the suffering of his linemates stats because Marner is jist giving away possession to avoid being hit.

I can show you 2 plays Marner got a point because Matthews crushed the defender to get puck possession. If Matthews didnt want to play physical (like his linemate Marner), the goals, and Marners points dont happen.

There is two of Marner floating around the web:

Last edited:

Jun 27, 2005
1) So, you don’t want to break down each goal and figure out who the real play driver was?

2) You can’t come up with examples of goals against that were definitely caused by other core players, but I’ve got a list for Marner?

... And yet, you're upset no one wants to engage with your paper stats?

Here's the reality: of the seven breakdowns by Marner, most of the other core players got a minus because of his dumb plays. Yet, you can’t show me a single instance where Marner got a minus solely because of their mistakes.

Plus, I can point to two cases where Marner line-changed, and the incoming winger took the minus when Marner should have. One of those plays was Nylander, and the other was a long shift where Matthews and Marner got caught. Marner got off but it was a nad line change and Boston saw that and attacked it, leaving Matthews and Domi to take the minus.

There are so many variables that your pretty stats miss, but the eye test doesn't.

But you don’t want to review game tape, do you? Probably because you know it doesn’t paint Marner in a good light.
Look man, there's a lot here. And if you think 11 minutes of highlights is "breaking down game tape" yikes. After a comment like that what's the point.

If you don't think the other core players are responsible for goals against, well then yikes again. All players are responsible for goals against some times.

Two whole examples where Marner messed up during a line change? What have I told you about sample size? Do see what you're doing. You're ONLY looking for the highlight reel bad plays and just ignoring the shift after shift of good things. Man I sure hope you don't watch the games like that because Marner makes a lot great plays that are going to upset you.

I would love to see your analysis of the "game tape" but it would have to include the ENTIRE game. Shift by shift. You know, maybe you could start a youtube channel and spend three or four hours per game pointing out what happens every play. Am I going to that with you? Of course not.

But responding to you is starting to waste my time.
Here it is in a nutshell. You're still one of the kooks that thinks that marner sucks EVEN IN THE REGULAR SEASON. Even Gary fully acknowledges that Marner is a regular season superstar. Until you learn to recognize Marners brilliance in the regular season your OBVIOUS bias isn't really ready to discuss the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad