Player Discussion Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He looked good. His quickness vs last year is much better. I thought he was auditioning to play with JT last season.

That drop pass was a stinker. Outside that there is still no world I want to pay him 11.5m like Nylander. Not even Nylander deserves Nylander money, but if the team is going to keep it going I hope The worst case is MM WN @ 11.5m each.
I'm afraid Marner will insist on getting more than Nylander but maybe they can sell him 11.5M but a 4 year term like Matthews. ATM that would seem better for the team than 11.5x8 (if he chokes again say 3 out of the next 4 playoffs, maybe it'll become clear to everyone that it's time to move on) and it might look that way for both sides? Or maybe Berube figures out how to get the most out of him in the playoffs and he's a Leaf for life, the odds of that happening don't seem too good but that would be obviously be the best case scenario for everyone.

Whatever they do, I hope they realize that we have massive leverage because of endorsements, and the fact that Marner doesn't want to leave. Use the leverage and stop bending over for the star players the way Dubas did. JMHO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hard to believe that his two way game looks even better this year.
Those tough PK minutes may catch up to him at some point.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and Smif

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm afraid Marner will insist on getting more than Nylander but maybe they can sell him 11.5M but a 4 year term like Matthews. ATM that would seem better for the team than 11.5x8 (if he chokes again say 3 out of the next 4 playoffs, maybe it'll become clear to everyone that it's time to move on) and it might look that way for both sides? Or maybe Berube figures out how to get the most out of him in the playoffs and he's a Leaf for life, the odds of that happening don't seem too good but that would be obviously be the best case scenario for everyone.

Whatever they do, I hope they realize that we have massive leverage because of endorsements, and the fact that Marner doesn't want to leave. Use the leverage and stop bending over for the star players the way Dubas did. JMHO.[/ ]

Obviously I like Mitch but I’m not giving more than 11, unless he gets us to final.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think there is any scenario where Marner gets less than Nylander. It will start with a $12.
He might bite on 11.5x4. The selling point would that the deal is better than Nylander's cause he can cash in again, tell him that maybe 4 years down the line he gets 15 million a year. ;)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He might bite on 11.5x4. The selling point would that the deal is better than Nylander's cause he can cash in again, tell him that maybe 4 years down the line he gets 15 million a year. ;)
Possible. Or maybe he goes for $11.6 or $11.9 on a longer deal. Either way, it will be a big number.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Beauty effort on the goal last night. His first step seems more explosive this year, hopefully a sign of good things to come.
That's the hope. But then, regular season Marner has always been money in the bank, the first few games of the playoffs as well. It's game 87 when his game usually falls off the proverbial cliff so we won't know shit until then, that's just the reality.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Plus we can take advantage as you say, this is home will he leave for a 10% raise? I know you would… lol! You started it all.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Beauty effort on the goal last night. His first step seems more explosive this year, hopefully a sign of good things to come.
Its funny, ive found the opposite with his skating. It looks really laboured to me and he's lacking an extra gear. Even last night he beats a D who is standing still and Letang cuts him off from across the ice after pivoting. Beauty shot and effort though by Mitch.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think he signs 4 x 12. 8 yrs would be too high of AAV.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Was there supposed to be some kind of concern or something that Marner wasn't going to be able to produce in the regular season in his contract year?

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Its funny, ive found the opposite with his skating. It looks really laboured to me and he's lacking an extra gear. Even last night he beats a D who is standing still and Letang cuts him off from across the ice after pivoting. Beauty shot and effort though by Mitch.
I actually feel physical pain watching him skate. That was a nice shot though.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Looked to me the dman was a couple of strides ahead of him and was moving but yeah Mitch blew by him like Petterson was a pylon.

Reactions: francis246

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Looked to me the dman was a couple of strides ahead of him and was moving but yeah Mitch blew by him like Petterson was a pylon.
He is a pylon in that situation. The D is reading forward/pressure and is stopped at the line the play and Marner jumps it forcing him to retreat from a standstill while Mitch has speed already. Looks like he thought the wing would grab it and he's flat footed as a result. Its a great read by Marner and he exploits the position he's put the D in.

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
High praise from Berube as well.
Chief does pile on the praise for Marner, so coach seems pleased with his game thus far……..

I think ultimately a Marner deal looks like this:

8 yrs @ 9m/year

A promise to play a young Hillary Swank in the prequel to Million Dollar Baby
Sadly that’s the number I feel he’s worth, if he ever took it Styles would immediately become the new overpaid whipping boy. Book it……..

The Nylander overpay is going to make that tricky.
Two wrongs don’t make a right………

Sep 18, 2009
Was there supposed to be some kind of concern or something that Marner wasn't going to be able to produce in the regular season in his contract year?
Marner is a very good regular season player
Marner gets shutdown in the playoffs and is weak on the wall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad