Player Discussion Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
depend what you talking about being smaller.

Outplaying pastrnak line is not the same than outplaying maroon line. Exemple his 1st goal was great gm 6, but do rhe same exact play against pastrnak and unstead of a goal with the same play, its a breakaway against with his risky play at blue line. It was worling against beecher but would not working against a pastrnak or marchand
It should be obvious.

We know what Marchand told him, did that affect his play in the playoffs?
I don't know, or don't remember. What did Marchand tell him?

What anyone says should have no impact on a player who's supposedly a superstar. As far as what's affecting him goes, who the hell knows?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner played 19% of time against opposite bottom 6 vs 45% for Nylander.

Marner played 3 more game but plsyed less ice time against opposite worst line than Nylander.

The 55% of time he played against opposite top, he been on the ice for 1 goal for and 1 against

in the 45% he played against bottom 6 player 3 gf for, 0 against

Marner 3 gf 2 ga vs opp top 6 and 0 gf/ga vs opp bottom 6

So the real question, reverse the situation by using Nylander 81% vs opposite top 6 and marner only 55%. Who will get the most succes?
In game 5, Marners long shift and poor line change caused a goal against but he was on the bench when Domi got the -1. This shows why your math is flawed and why examining game tape matters.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I more so agree with you, but we can’t pretend like everyone loves Nathan Mac. Some of his own teammates despise him and past teammates have publicly said he’s too extreme. That comes with being great though. Leadership is pretty subjective. What one person views as leadership could be what another views as not good leadership.
At the end of the day, winning matters.

Look at MJ, he ain’t the nicest guy but he won a lot and players played with him respected him and those played against him feared him.

Look at Kobe.

Look at the leaders in the past Cup winners, Tkachuk and Barkov, Marchessault and Stone, Mack and Landy, Kuch and Hedman, ROR and Schenn….
Not saying they are not nice people but they certainly are also players who hated to play against.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
In game 5, Marners long shift and poor line change caused a goal against but he was on the bench when Domi got the -1. This shows why your math is flawed and why examining game tape matters.

whatever goal against ...number of goal nylander line scored at 5v5 vs any top 6 line last 3 years ? 5...it's very bad number, its not much more than 1 by series...

so again, if nylander should play o the same situation than Marner and as much against opp top 6, do he will still scoring at the same rate? When 65 ton70% of his production come against easier matchup?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
whatever goal against ...number of goal nylander line scored at 5v5 vs any top 6 line last 3 years ? 5...it's very bad number, its not much more than 1 by series...

so again, if nylander should play o the same situation than Marner and as much against opp top 6, do he will still scoring at the same rate? When 65 ton70% of his production come against easier matchup?

If Nylander played with a Selke level center he ... speculation, speculation, and more speculation.

Reactions: freshwind

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If Nylander played with a Selke level center he ... speculation, speculation, and more speculation.

Marner played with Matthews last year? I certainly missed it...

Even without matthews last year, Marner line scored at rate of 1 goal every 27 minagainst opposite top 6 vs Nylander line at a rate of 1 goal every 38 minutes

So changing those matchup, do we would still producing at same rate or impacting stats of everyone? I don't have the answer, you don't have the answer and nobody have this answer but still something we should talk about...

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hopefully Berube will have a closed door ceremony where he bestows Marner with a set of nuts. If he can do that, he's a heck of a hire.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Marner played with Matthews last year? I certainly missed it...

Even without matthews last year, Marner line scored at rate of 1 goal every 27 minagainst opposite top 6 vs Nylander line at a rate of 1 goal every 38 minutes

So changing those matchup, do we would still producing at same rate or impacting stats of everyone? I don't have the answer, you don't have the answer and nobody have this answer but still something we should talk about...
Marner played with Matthews for the majority of the season. When he got hurt Domi took his spot. After he came back from his ankle sprain he was with Tavares (incl. playoffs).

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Why do Marner fans like comparing Marner to Nylander so much? Nylander made 55% less than Marner for 5 years. I dont like Nylander at 11+ million. But the last 5 years Nylanders play exceeded his 7 million pay. I will give him a chance at his new contract. Im grateful for his last one.

Marner, himself, did not live up to 11 million per year. not even remotely close. He was effective on the ice as a 2nd line player. And thats a stretch.

Compare apples to apples. look at Matthews best game vs Boston (withour Marner on his line of course)
vs Marners. Note all Marners looked bad, this one has a goal so i chose it. Believe it or not, rhis is one of the good ones for Marner. He has one game with no shots at all, and another game with 2 shots, and both locations shouldnt even be called shots. These include pp!

Matthews:
1728152057546.jpeg

Marner:
1728152167893.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad