Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Correct me if I'm wrong but do you think Leafs should add EK if they get a chance?

At 50% retained I don't think it would be the worst idea.

Everybody else in the world is against it. So if you are too I don't blame you. It sounds like a crazy idea wanting to add a three time Norris trophy winner to the team at only $5M a year.

Only a lunatic like me would want them to do that.

Reactions: LeafGrief

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bottomline I think a trade is nearly impossible. I think they give Berube a run with him. Few know better about protecting & creating an environment where softer stars can thrive. End result will be an extension for Marner or he gets pissed off with all the negative scape goat press and bolts year end.

Sadly Dubas messed things up the the salary cap. It will take at least one more year to correct that.
One year is nothing, especially when you've been watching for over 60 years.

The year will fly by for some, and who knows maybe Berube's system, and deployment of assets will build a more balanced line-up.

Matthews
Nylander
marner
Tavares

These pieces are not glued to each other.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Everybody else in the world is against it. So if you are too I don't blame you. It sounds like a crazy idea wanting to add a three time Norris trophy winner to the team at only $5M a year.

At 5 million, Karlsson would be fine. I wouldn't pay a premium to add him with retention though....

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is not. Having said that, is there any evidence that he wants 12.5 or has it just become "board gospel" ?

Is it the only conclusion or is there a possibility it is being used as a negotiating tactic?
The 12.5mil was the number being floated as someone suggested MM wants 100mil on his next contract.

Negotiation tactic with who? The Leafs? As far as comments goes, seemed like the Leafs didn’t want to extend him. As I mentioned in another thread, there seems to be quite a difference between negotiating with Willie and Marner. As there was a sense that Willie and Leafs will work out a deal even though they shopped Willie, but I just don’t get a sense that both sides want a deal to happen between MM and Leafs.

Lastly, watching the Panthers Vs Oilers just showed that being a top heavy forward team is not going to get it done when against a balanced team with talents. One of the stats that showed up was no Panthers forwards players more than 43secs per shift. Don’t see that happened with any teams with a top heavy forward group.

I am with you, I don’t see why not, as EK at 5mil is not a bad deal. Just need to sign Edmundson to play with him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One year is nothing, especially when you've been watching for over 60 years.

The year will fly by for some, and who knows maybe Berube's system, and deployment of assets will build a more balanced line-up.

Matthews
Nylander
marner
Tavares

These pieces are not glued to each other.
Some fans do not have another year to wait. This year we get to watch a Russian/Finn hoist the cup for the f***ing Florida Panthers. Conn Smythe would be proud. Not.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess so. I think allowing 1-2 goals most games attests to the effort on the defensive side, anyway.
Or Bruins is just not a good offensive team or Sammy and Woll actually wasn’t a problem as some made them out to be.
Their 1C is Coyle, probably the 2nd worst 1C of all the teams that made the playoffs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Some fans do not have another year to wait. This year we get to watch a Russian/Finn hoist the cup for the f***ing Florida Panthers. Conn Smythe would be proud. Not.
I just don’t understand why wait another year?

The League itself is showing that having 3 forwards each tied up at 11mil plus won’t work. Heck no teams had even make it to CF with 2 forwards at 10mil plus each.

The cap distribution on the Leafs is completely wrong and to think that Cap going up is going to solve it is fools gold as supporting players will be more expensive. Heck, I am surprised ELC have not increase as if the cap kept increasing

Reactions: ToneDog

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Negotiation tactic with who? The Leafs? As far as comments goes, seemed like the Leafs didn’t want to extend him. As I mentioned in another thread, there seems to be quite a difference between negotiating with Willie and Marner. As there was a sense that Willie and Leafs will work out a deal even though they shopped Willie, but I just don’t get a sense that both sides want a deal to happen between MM and Leafs.
What happens to his price if the Leafs say they want to resign him?

What happens to his price if Marner says he wants to stay in Toronto long term?

Both sides are saying/acting exactly as they should to not weaken their positions.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What happens to his price if the Leafs say they want to resign him?

What happens to his price if Marner says he wants to stay in Toronto long term?

Both sides are saying/acting exactly as they should to not weaken their positions.
Possible or that one side just don’t want to deal with the other side

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So are you saying it’s okay and acceptable to shit the bed in the playoffs just as long as you help them get there?

I think it’s pretty clear that his point is not every GM has the luxury of just trying to get their roster over the next playoff hump in their path. You need to improve your roster to the point they can be a consistent threat for the playoffs before anything else matters.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So are you saying it’s okay and acceptable to shit the bed in the playoffs just as long as you help them get there?
Depends on where the team is.
For example, Perry will most likely be a four time Cup loser over the past 5 yrs. But I think any teams, Leafs included, except Panthers, Vegas, Avs and TB, would love to have Perry and be a SC loser.

There are enough teams out there that just making the playoffs is their SC.

At this point Leafs need to advance in the playoffs, should be Cup or Bust but since they can’t even get out of the first round, let’s keep realistic expectations.

Reactions: mikeyz

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Depends on where the team is.
For example, Perry will most likely be a four time Cup loser over the past 5 yrs. But I think any teams, Leafs included, except Panthers, Vegas, Avs and TB, would love to have Perry and be a SC loser.

There are enough teams out there that just making the playoffs is their SC.

At this point Leafs need to advance in the playoffs, should be Cup or Bust but since they can’t even get out of the first round, let’s keep realistic expectations.

Two playoffs games are worth how much $$ to a team?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just don’t understand why wait another year?

The League itself is showing that having 3 forwards each tied up at 11mil plus won’t work. Heck no teams had even make it to CF with 2 forwards at 10mil plus each.

The cap distribution on the Leafs is completely wrong and to think that Cap going up is going to solve it is fools gold as supporting players will be more expensive. Heck, I am surprised ELC have not increase as if the cap kept increasing
Panthers showing how to win on and off the ice. Zito schooled the stick boy from Brock.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
All Canadian teams have been schooled for the last 30 years, including Burke, Nonis, Fletcher, Quinn, Lamoriello, ...

Name me one Canadian Team GM who has won a Cup.

This isn't a Leafs thing this is a Canadian thing.
It has been done but not very often. I agree with you. GMs of Canadian teams have it tough but you have to be competent to have a chance (except if your name is Bergevin who was not and got a kick at the can, thanks to you know who).

Who cares, it's winning the Cup right?

Or you'll be happy with a close but no cigar?
I'll take losing in the SCF over round #1 all day long. How about you? Ask the Panthers what they learned losing in the SCF last year? Gotta get to the door to break it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If you are changing it to 'last regular season', Marner was at least close, but the topic was 'last two playoff series', and Nylander and Matthews were much better in them.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don’t understand the Canadian teams Vs American teams thing.
Teams in lower tax state will help, nicer weather too but you can’t tell me if Panthers, or the past 5Cup winners, switched with any Canadian teams roster and MGT, that team won’t win the Cup like they did.

We can continue to say it is a conspiracy from Bettman or reffing in the finals(mainly just that no goal call in the Flames Final) but we also have to admit that Canadians teams over the past 30 yrs just wasn’t as good as the rest of the league.

Before McD, the top 3-5players always played in the States. Price is literally the only top 3 goalies who played in Canada since Roy got traded to Avs. Until now with Demko and Helle playing for Nucks and Jets.

It has been done but not very often. I agree with you. GMs of Canadian teams have it tough but you have to be competent to have a chance (except if your name is Bergevin who was not and got a kick at the can, thanks to you know who).

I'll take losing in the SCF over round #1 all day long. How about you? Ask the Panthers what they learned losing in the SCF last year? Gotta get to the door to break it down.
If the Leafs made it to the Finals, at least some of their usual excuses will make sense like we are close, we are right there, the bounces just didn’t go our way, a good lesson, respect in the handshake line…

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well I didn’t mind the rest of his press conference but Marner was asked what he thinks it means to be a Maple Leaf.

“It means the world to me, we are looked upon as Gods”

That’s the full context. He’s just bad at speaking, we all know what he meant but that’s something you say to the boys. Not media avail because it comes across as you care more about the status than actually winning.
Like I said when this quote was said, we all know MM is the worst at doing presser, and should just laugh at what he said as entertainment

Marner and 23 overall

For

Seth Jones and 2nd overall
That’s more like a JT for Jones proposal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad