Proposal: Marner to Utah

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
The only deal that would make sense for UTAH is Schmaltz @ 50% or $2.9M cap hit over 2 years. UTAH saves money, Leafs save cap.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Utah mammoths are not available. Lamoureux, Geekie and Crouse aren't getting traded.

I'd be fine with dealing Schmaltz or even Maccelli plus the 2nds but none of the big boys are available.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Diehard AZ fan who will be following the team to Utah.

I personally, and a lot of the others in the fanbase, do not want to bring on Marner. The team isn't ready for a player like that, and it could effect the cap space to sign all of the young players who will be coming up. Unfortunately, I don't own the team and there are rumblings that Ryan Smith wants to make a splash.

I'm trying to make a proposal that is fair for both sides despite this. I know Keller is the dream in TOR, but outside of nearly a 1:1 swap I don't see it happening.

To TOR
Nick Schmaltz
Maveric Lamoureux
2025 2nd
2025 2nd

To UTHC
Mitch Marner

Schmaltz is a similar player to Marner in that he is a playmaker first that can also score. He has a fantastic stick and is great at causing turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive ends. He has similar qualities that Marner has where he isn't great along the boards. But he has been on PPG paces in the past, that were derailed by injuries. Playing in TOR you have to think 70+ points is absolutely possible. But the big piece is TOR gets another very skilled forward that also saves them 5m in cap space NOW and potentially 7+ in space when Marner needs a new contract.

Maveric Lamoureux is a giant defenseman and former 1st round pick. His development has been great besides some injuries.

Two 2nds provides ammo to make more moves at the deadline.

Flame away. I don't care if you don't want to move Marner. Or if you don't want to trade for Marner. I want to know if this is a more agreeable price to both sides.
Solid proposal OP, nice job. Not an overwhelming win but I do this as a Leafs fan

Reactions: Grimes

Hollowmoon

Jul 23, 2018
Maccelli + picks for Marner? Matthews and Maccelli could team up well! Tor saves around 10M in salary (Maccelli is about 3,5M/Year?)

Reactions: Dog

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Maccelli, Matthews, Nylander
Marcella, prospect + 38 + 49 for Marner which equates to a top 9 forward + 1st + prospect. That's the general trade value if Marner is a rental.

But then don’t you still have too much ties in 3 forwards, nylander, Matthews, Marner?
Yeah probably but at this point trading Marner for scraps shouldn't be on the table. I'd rather he walk for nothing if that's the case.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nah….
He’s an elite player and if we deal him it will be with an extension in place and he would have agreed upon the destination.

We’ll clean up!
Like how Flames’ fans thought they cleaned up when Treliving traded Tkatchuk? Marner is a great player. He has a NMC. It’s not a circumstance where treliving has any leverage.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Replace Schmaltz with Crouse and we have a deal
I wouldn't trade Crouse 1 for 1 for Marner let alone with the extra's. Remember your also gaining 6.6 million in cap space plus another million or so by dropping another player from the roster because your gaining Crouse and another body (free agent possibly with the 7.6 million).

So it would really be Marner for Crouse and a 7-8 million dollar free agent and Marner will be getting a raise so even more.

Edit,

Leafs interested in Pesce apparently so imagine signing him probably 7 max. Who you rather have Marner or Crouse and Pesce ?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Diehard AZ fan who will be following the team to Utah.

I personally, and a lot of the others in the fanbase, do not want to bring on Marner. The team isn't ready for a player like that, and it could effect the cap space to sign all of the young players who will be coming up. Unfortunately, I don't own the team and there are rumblings that Ryan Smith wants to make a splash.

I'm trying to make a proposal that is fair for both sides despite this. I know Keller is the dream in TOR, but outside of nearly a 1:1 swap I don't see it happening.

To TOR
Nick Schmaltz
Maveric Lamoureux
2025 2nd
2025 2nd

To UTHC
Mitch Marner

Schmaltz is a similar player to Marner in that he is a playmaker first that can also score. He has a fantastic stick and is great at causing turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive ends. He has similar qualities that Marner has where he isn't great along the boards. But he has been on PPG paces in the past, that were derailed by injuries. Playing in TOR you have to think 70+ points is absolutely possible. But the big piece is TOR gets another very skilled forward that also saves them 5m in cap space NOW and potentially 7+ in space when Marner needs a new contract.

Maveric Lamoureux is a giant defenseman and former 1st round pick. His development has been great besides some injuries.

Two 2nds provides ammo to make more moves at the deadline.

Flame away. I don't care if you don't want to move Marner. Or if you don't want to trade for Marner. I want to know if this is a more agreeable price to both sides.
I can definitely see Marner being traded to Utah with an extension.

Utah’s management will want to purge the failure of the past with the Yotes.

It wouldn’t be for anything less than Crouse + 1st or the equivalent. Kind of interesting the “off the table” prospects of a team who hasn’t made the playoffs in some time.

Utah will want a playoff appearance in their first season. Good for business. They won’t be sitting back collecting prospects. Marner gets them to the playoffs and is an exciting watch and draw overall.

Marner would be incredible for a new team and fanbase like Utah. Very engaging player, just done in Toronto.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Solid proposal OP, nice job. Not an overwhelming win but I do this as a Leafs fan

Thanks! Feels at least like something both teams can swallow (which is usually how these types of things go).

While I agree that Crouse is probably a better fit for TOR he just bought a house and moved to Utah. I'm sure he got the greenlight by management to do so. I know hockey is a business and blah blah blah but he stuck it out in AZ so they may feel they owe it to him.

I've seen Maccelli's name floated around too. If he was involved that would work, but Schmaltz has played center at times, so if TOR ends up moving Tavares this provides some optionality too.

As a UTHC fan who wants to see the rebuild happen properly I don't want a 12m x 8yr Marner on this team. I also understand where TOR fans feel like they need a larger haul for a super star but if management really feels like they need to move Marner then finding a dance partner could be a challenge.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Schmaltz is a poor man’s Marner (good player though). I get it, the Leafs trade Marner here, get a legit top six playmaking winger back, a good prospect and some extra picks while clearing salary.

But this doesn’t really fundamentally change the Leafs…which I think has to be the basis of a Marner deal. Utah won’t be trading Crouse in this kind of package (so stop dreaming Leafs fans) - but he’s the type of guy that the Leafs would target to change the identity of how they construct their top of the line-up.

If you can’t get a Crouse-level “heavy” back, then I think you either keep Mitch for now or if you get a great pure futures/assets package back that you can then swing around and deal for immediate help.

Turning Marner into Schmaltz, a (good) defensive prospect who isn’t likely to really help for another year or two and some non-premium picks is kind of the “middle ground” which I think is strategically the worst way to handle Marner.
See, I think it could fundamentally change the Leafs. If they do this, roll the dice on a Woll +Brossoit/Stolarz tandem, and move Kampf, it sets up

Knies-Matthews-Schmalts
xxx-xxx-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarncrok
Holmberg-Dewar-Cheap W (Blais/Grebenkin)
Reaves

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
Benoit- xxx
xxx

with just under 24m to fill the xxx's. If you go cheap on the 6/7 D (2.5 combined) you've got 21.4 for the 4 impact slots. 6.5 to 1RD, 5.5 to 2C, 5 to 2RD, 4.4 to 2LW. Or go higher end at 1-2 positions... either way very different team make up.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Like how Flames’ fans thought they cleaned up when Treliving traded Tkatchuk? Marner is a great player. He has a NMC. It’s not a circumstance where treliving has any leverage.
Thank you for making my point.
Calgary did amazing with all they got. That return was for a player who wanted out and they still got Huberdeau + Weegar + prospect + 1st and a 3rd.
Marner hasn’t gone to the Leafs and demanded a trade.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I wouldn't trade Crouse 1 for 1 for Marner let alone with the extra's. Remember your also gaining 6.6 million in cap space plus another million or so by dropping another player from the roster because your gaining Crouse and another body (free agent possibly with the 7.6 million).

So it would really be Marner for Crouse and a 7-8 million dollar free agent and Marner will be getting a raise so even more.

Edit,

Leafs interested in Pesce apparently so imagine signing him probably 7 max. Who you rather have Marner or Crouse and Pesce ?
Freeing up Cap space isn’t an asset the other team is using to trade for a player. Your logic is faulty.
Marner still has a shit ton of value. The team acquiring him wants him because he’s elite and acknowledges the fact you have to not only pay assets for elite but also have to have the cap space to make it work.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
See, I think it could fundamentally change the Leafs. If they do this, roll the dice on a Woll +Brossoit/Stolarz tandem, and move Kampf, it sets up

Knies-Matthews-Schmalts
xxx-xxx-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarncrok
Holmberg-Dewar-Cheap W (Blais/Grebenkin)
Reaves

Rielly-xxx
McCabe-xxx
Benoit- xxx
xxx

with just under 24m to fill the xxx's. If you go cheap on the 6/7 D (2.5 combined) you've got 21.4 for the 4 impact slots. 6.5 to 1RD, 5.5 to 2C, 5 to 2RD, 4.4 to 2LW. Or go higher end at 1-2 positions... either way very different team make up.
that's a lot of xxx
two top 6 players and all 3 RD, one of the hardest positions to fill. Oh yeah, TOR needs to sort out goaltending as well. And it's not like you'll have cap to just fill them via UFA

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
that's a lot of xxx
two top 6 players and all 3 RD, one of the hardest positions to fill. Oh yeah, TOR needs to sort out goaltending as well. And it's not like you'll have cap to just fill them via UFA
If actually you read to the bottom, they would.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If actually you read to the bottom, they would.
Those numbers can work but I guess you are gonna roll the dice and go with Martin Jones and Jospeh Woll again? If TOR wants to be serious, they will need to spend on a 1G and then those numbers don't work out so well anymore unless you skim the bottom of the UFA barrel which could work but I don't want to do your homework for you, man.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

It wouldn’t be for anything less than Crouse + 1st or the equivalent. Kind of interesting the “off the table” prospects of a team who hasn’t made the playoffs in some time.

Utah will want a playoff appearance in their first season. Good for business. They won’t be sitting back collecting prospects. Marner gets them to the playoffs and is an exciting watch and draw overall.

Marner would be incredible for a new team and fanbase like Utah. Very engaging player, just done in Toronto.
Utah would pass, and Marner wouldn’t waive.

Reactions: Fatass

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Maybe and maybe. But you and I don’t know either of those things. Simply a couple of fans having a discussion.
Ya, I just the feel Marner’s camp, is going to not waive, and say is playing out his current deal, and hope to get 12.5x8 from the leafs

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thank you for making my point.
Calgary did amazing with all they got. That return was for a player who wanted out and they still got Huberdeau + Weegar + prospect + 1st and a 3rd.
Marner hasn’t gone to the Leafs and demanded a trade.
Are the Flames better or worse with the return for Tkatchuk?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Are the Flames better or worse with the return for Tkatchuk?
In terms of assets in, assets out - of course they are better.

They also lost Gaudreau for nothing. Getting 0 for Matthew Tkachuk would have been devastating for that franchise IMO.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Those numbers can work but I guess you are gonna roll the dice and go with Martin Jones and Jospeh Woll again? If TOR wants to be serious, they will need to spend on a 1G and then those numbers don't work out so well anymore unless you skim the bottom of the UFA barrel which could work but I don't want to do your homework for you, man.
Don't worry, I have no desire to have you anywhere near my "homework".

You apparently don't want to read the post in it's entirety either, the goaltending for the scenario was addressed- literally in the first line of text.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Ya, I just the feel Marner’s camp, is going to not waive, and say is playing out his current deal, and hope to get 12.5x8 from the leafs
You’re probably right. Ferris has a tendency to walk his guys to FA, sometimes to the detriment of the player. Wouldn’t be the first guy he’s sewered for his own personal gain.

If the leafs sign him to 12.5 x 8, I think we see the return of the waffles. That would be unprecedented and ludicrous. Fans would probably riot.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

What makes you so sure that Marner gets them to the playoffs?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Freeing up Cap space isn’t an asset the other team is using to trade for a player. Your logic is faulty.
Marner still has a shit ton of value. The team acquiring him wants him because he’s elite and acknowledges the fact you have to not only pay assets for elite but also have to have the cap space to make it work.
Not saying he doesn't have value but 1 in my opinion Crouse is more valuable on his current deal and 2 everyone knows Leafs need or want to move Marner. Add in his NMC and Leafs are over a barrel unless they decide to keep him. He's elite not denying that but he's also got faults as in contract and has failed to show up when it counts. If he played to his ability in playoffs Leafs wouldn't be considering dealing him. Not too many teams will give assets for a soft 11 million dollar winger in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad