Proposal: Marner to Utah

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In terms of assets in, assets out - of course they are better.

They also lost Gaudreau for nothing. Getting 0 for Matthew Tkachuk would have been devastating for that franchise IMO.
Leafs’ fans want to be as “successful” after any Marner trade as the Flames have been for Treliving’s return from his Tkatchuk trade?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Leafs’ fans want to be as “successful” after any Marner trade as the Flames have been for Treliving’s return from his Tkatchuk trade?
1. Leaf fans have nothing to do with this.
2. this is a completely different situation than what was happening in Calgary
3. Hubey was coming off of a 115pt season. and if i recall, 99% of fans were thrilled at the return at the time of the trade. The Tkachuk trade is irrelevant to this situation.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1. Leaf fans have nothing to do with this.
2. this is a completely different situation than what was happening in Calgary
3. Hubey was coming off of a 115pt season. and if i recall, 99% of fans were thrilled at the return at the time of the trade. The Tkachuk trade is irrelevant to this situation.
Same GM. We can figure the same GM will target similar players, no?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Same GM. We can figure the same GM will target similar players, no?
Entirely different situation.

Calgary's best 2 players wanted out, not the case in Toronto.

Weegar is solid. Huby went from a rockstar in Florida to living in Calgary. That would sewer most people. no offence to Calgary.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Not saying he doesn't have value but 1 in my opinion Crouse is more valuable on his current deal and 2 everyone knows Leafs need or want to move Marner. Add in his NMC and Leafs are over a barrel unless they decide to keep him. He's elite not denying that but he's also got faults as in contract and has failed to show up when it counts. If he played to his ability in playoffs Leafs wouldn't be considering dealing him. Not too many teams will give assets for a soft 11 million dollar winger in my opinion.
There are so many teams out there if not all of them that would simply love to have a Marner on their roster (warts and all) as he could help them simply get into the playoffs. That alone would be enough for most teams as they would just love the potential playoff revenue.
Leafs are different as we need to be a team That can compete for the cup. Our fan base is out for blood.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Nah….
He’s an elite player and if we deal him it will be with an extension in place and he would have agreed upon the destination.

We’ll clean up!
Why would he do that? What is the motivation for him to significantly weaken the team he wants to go to, when all he has to do is wait a few months and can go to any team he wants and demand whatever he wants without weakening them?

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Why would he do that? What is the motivation for him to significantly weaken the team he wants to go to, when all he has to do is wait a few months and can go to any team he wants and demand whatever he wants without weakening them?
I think the main motivation is that he can negotiate the extra 8th year at a high AAV. He would be 35 at the start of that 8th season and there’s a good chance he would make less if he could only sign for 7 years and had to sign a new deal. Based on his prior contract negotiations, he didn’t take any discount for the team (neither did Matthews or JT) and showed us his priorities.

If anything, he might just look at the Tkachuk trade and think losing one or two pieces isn’t the end of the world.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I wouldn't offer much as a rental with an NMC, but if you can get an extension in place, you burn down the farm and go after him.
Utah isn’t burning down their farm for Mitch Marner, extension in place or not.

We don’t have a need for Mitch Marner and certainly don’t need the disappearing act when this team makes the playoffs.

If Marner can be had for a reasonable price, sure. But I can guarantee Bill Armstrong isn’t going to derail what he’s done the past 4 years for a soft winger.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Utah isn’t burning down their farm for Mitch Marner, extension in place or not.

We don’t have a need for Mitch Marner and certainly don’t need the disappearing act when this team makes the playoffs.

If Marner can be had for a reasonable price, sure. But I can guarantee Bill Armstrong isn’t going to derail what he’s done the past 4 years for a soft winger.
First off, I never said Utah would, I said I would.

The soft winger narrative comes from how the Leafs front office operates their team and how it does so at the expense of mentality, toughness and hunger. Soft wingers don't post the numbers he does, and a strong coach and staff would really help him reach the next level skill and mentality-wise.

Considering Utah is building, an asset like him would help it. And also considering Utah has 43.5M in cap space, outside of signing their blueline and one or other RFAs, they can do almost anything at this point, as long as they do it wisely.

As for making the playoffs and all that, this is a 27 year old who is 639P in 576 regular season games and 50P in 57 games in the playoffs makes him sound more productive than just soft. In contrast, Pierre Turgeon is 'soft', you wouldn't want him?

Last edited:

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
First off, I never said Utah would, I said I would. The soft winger narrative comes from how the Leafs front office operates their team and how it does so at the expense of mentality, toughness and hunger. Soft wingers don't post the numbers he does, and a strong coach and staff would really help him reach the next level skill and mentality-wise.

Considering Utah is building, an asset like him would help it. And also considering Utah has 43.5M in cap space, outside of signing their blueline and one or other RFAs, they can do almost anything at this point, as long as they do it wisely.
Utah is in the position they are by design. By not over paying for vets and building through the draft. Could be an issue when these entry level deals all come to a head though.

Utah doesn’t really have a need for Marner though. We don’t need wingers. We need centers and the priority is defense. We’re not looking to really compete for another few years, so that’s another reason to pass.

Also, for the record, the thread is about Utah and Marner, you saying you’d sell the farm insinuates that you’re talking about Utah, but I understand where you’re coming from

Reactions: BlueSeal

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Diehard AZ fan who will be following the team to Utah.

I personally, and a lot of the others in the fanbase, do not want to bring on Marner. The team isn't ready for a player like that, and it could effect the cap space to sign all of the young players who will be coming up. Unfortunately, I don't own the team and there are rumblings that Ryan Smith wants to make a splash.

I'm trying to make a proposal that is fair for both sides despite this. I know Keller is the dream in TOR, but outside of nearly a 1:1 swap I don't see it happening.

To TOR
Nick Schmaltz
Maveric Lamoureux
2025 2nd
2025 2nd

To UTHC
Mitch Marner

Schmaltz is a similar player to Marner in that he is a playmaker first that can also score. He has a fantastic stick and is great at causing turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive ends. He has similar qualities that Marner has where he isn't great along the boards. But he has been on PPG paces in the past, that were derailed by injuries. Playing in TOR you have to think 70+ points is absolutely possible. But the big piece is TOR gets another very skilled forward that also saves them 5m in cap space NOW and potentially 7+ in space when Marner needs a new contract.

Maveric Lamoureux is a giant defenseman and former 1st round pick. His development has been great besides some injuries.

Two 2nds provides ammo to make more moves at the deadline.

Flame away. I don't care if you don't want to move Marner. Or if you don't want to trade for Marner. I want to know if this is a more agreeable price to both sides.
Friedman was talking Vegas this morning on Leafs radio. He never who coming back for Marner. But others mentioned Theodore and Thompson

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But then don’t you still have too much ties in 3 forwards, nylander, Matthews, Marner?
Absolutely, especially when you remember that Tavares has one more year at $11M cap hit.

They have extended their two best players - Matthews and Nylander - and just have to get rid of the others. Short of convincing him to retire, there's nothing you can do with Tavares until his contract expires next summer. If they can't convince Marner to waive his NMC plus find someone willing to pay him $12M, that will have to wait until next year as well.

The problem is that the only teams that should want him are teams that need him to help them make the playoffs but don't expect to win any, while that is just the type of team he is least likely to want to go to.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Absolutely, especially when you remember that Tavares has one more year at $11M cap hit.

They have extended their two best players - Matthews and Nylander - and just have to get rid of the others. Short of convincing him to retire, there's nothing you can do with Tavares until his contract expires next summer. If they can't convince Marner to waive his NMC plus find someone willing to pay him $12M, that will have to wait until next year as well.

The problem is that the only teams that should want him are teams that need him to help them make the playoffs but don't expect to win any, while that is just the type of team he is least likely to want to go to.
Interesting Toronto considers Nylander one of their best as it was always Marner repping in all star. Also, stats wise it seems like Marner always outproduced Nylander. Now, I don’t follow leafs closely enough so just stat watching, but, at least I find it surprising.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The way Tavares did when he left the Islanders to go to Toronto?

Which team he 'weakened' has been a topic for debate for a while.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Interesting Toronto considers Nylander one of their best as it was always Marner repping in all star. Also, stats wise it seems like Marner always outproduced Nylander. Now, I don’t follow leafs closely enough so just stat watching, but, at least I find it surprising.
Nylander played more games and put up more points and Marner played less games but put up better points per game. Marner would be the man out based on needs also don't want to overpay him.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Cam Talbot was LA's all star this year. It shouldn't need to be said, but team representation at the ASG means f*** all

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner has outproduced Nylander a bit, but he has been playing on the top line with a top scorer in Matthews, while Nylander has been on the second line with the very slow Tavares. This year Matthews actually did better with Max Domi on RW than with Marner. Nylander has been improving year to year while Marner really hasn't. Nylander was selected for the all stars before Marner this year. Nylander is also a player who scores (80 goals the last two seasons) and drives his own line.

The biggest thing seems to be that Nylander improves in the playoffs, while Marner does the opposite, especially the deeper into the playoffs they go.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander has made pretty good strides the last few years but still is the 3rd wheel behind the other 2.
When the window was open for both of these players it was Nylander they admitted to have shopped, not Marner.

Even last year when many consider it to be Nylander's best season and Marners worst, he outproduced him while still be better defensively.

1718291857347.png

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If I were trading Marner I'd want a top 9 forward or a top 6 d along with a 1rst and a prospect. Ideally the player would be physical, cheap and sound defensively.

I have no doubt Utah has the assets but HF will say he has negative value because HF.

Not worth discussing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad