Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That might hurt their feeling just give them all C’s
Since you can only have two "A"s, give Marner a "B" and tell him it's one higher than a "C".

Problem solved.

1724593964010.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I keep asking the posters who say "nothing has changed", despite the changes in defence, goaltending, coaching, and now leadership, to explain exactly what they would consider change.

I've mainly got back silence. Other than that, they want one or more of the five with NMCs traded, despite that being virtually impossible. I did have one person mention Shanahan, which I would like to see too.

So far I like the direction ... new coach, a healthy OEL, off-peak Tanev (not my first choice but).

To me I think it all rests with how Berube puts the puzzle pieces together.

Domi versus marner
Tavares versus Holmberg
Reaves versus 4th. liner

If we see:
  1. Knies - Matthews - marner
  2. Generic - Tavares - Nylander
  3. McMann - Domi - Jarnkrok
  4. Dewar - Kampf - Holmberg
Then perhaps
1724597482028.png

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just realized Drai has not signed a new contract yet. Not saying Leafs got a shot with him but won't it make sense to actually have the cap space to offer Drai?
1. It can cause other teams to bid higher for Drai?
2. If Drai signs with another team, it opens the door for McD a year later.
3. Use Drai's contract as comparable.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm missing "Marner will finish his contract never being worth his cap" hit option.

1 more season, I think that Mitch can keep his incredible streak alive. He is that good.

his expected chokage per season is off the roof for the next one.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm missing "Marner will finish his contract never being worth his cap" hit option.

1 more season, I think that Mitch can keep his incredible streak alive. He is that good.

his expected chokage per season is off the roof for the next one.
Agreed... hes failed every year since signing his last contract. Even if he somehow pulls off a decent post season in his contract year. Signing him long term would be begging for trouble. Tryout for a contract should end the season before the contract year IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the key to the Leafs having more playoff success with Marner is he’s de-emphasized as a leading 1-2 punch with Matthews and can fall back into a secondary tier on par with Nylander, and guys like Domi and Knies rise to a level to close the gap with Tavares. So you have a forward hierarchy that looks like:

Matthews
Nylander-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Knies

But this is really saying Matthews needs to really assume a greater role than he ever has and Nylander doesn’t take a step back.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think the key to the Leafs having more playoff success with Marner is he’s de-emphasized as a leading 1-2 punch with Matthews and can fall back into a secondary tier on par with Nylander, and guys like Domi and Knies rise to a level to close the gap with Tavares. So you have a forward hierarchy that looks like:

Matthews
Nylander-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Knies

But this is really saying Matthews needs to really assume a greater role than he ever has and Nylander doesn’t take a step back.
How do you do that though? How does the media start treating Matthews like the Mackinnon and Mcdavids of this team? Need to get the core 4 talk to drop, but even though Tree said he wants it to stop... its still in the media. The captaincy is a good start. Maybe having Tavares and Reilly as the A's and not Marner would further establish that separation? Otherwise, its going to be tough to get Marner to stop talking as if hes an equal to Matthews. Even during Matthews introduction as Captain, Marner was answering questions regarding Matthews questions with "we..".

Even I would be easier on Marner if he didnt have an A. I hate that hes as terrible with the media and avoids physical play, but wears an A. for the record I dont think Nylander is fit for it either.

Reactions: rumman and bax

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How do you do that though? How does the media start treating Matthews like the Mackinnon and Mcdavids of this team? Need to get the core 4 talk to drop, but even though Tree said he wants it to stop... its still in the media. The captaincy is a good start. Maybe having Tavares and Reilly as the A's and not Marner would further establish that separation? Otherwise, its going to be tough to get Marner to stop talking as if hes an equal to Matthews. Even during Matthews introduction as Captain, Marner was answering questions regarding Matthews questions with "we..".

Even I would be easier on Marner if he didnt have an A. I hate that hes as terrible with the media and avoids physical play, but wears an A. for the record I dont think Nylander is fit for it either.

Just the way I see it from a fan perspective.

Matthews and Marner aren’t Kariya and Selanne. This isn’t a Batman and Batman duo, and to get the most out of Matthews he needs to take the next step as The Guy and stop thinking it’s him and Marner with an equal load.

Marner seems to want to be a co-alpha with Matthews and be above Nylander but struggles under the weight of the role when push comes to shove. He needs to take a step back.

Nylander doesn’t seem to want the status and pressure from what I can see and is well slotted in that “Kessel” role in Pittsburgh as the number 3.

So what I think needs to happen from a hierarchy perspective is Matthews needs to step up and unlock a new level of franchise player, while Marner falls back into a more manageable co-number two role. He’s not built to be an alpha and it’s not required of him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just the way I see it from a fan perspective.

Matthews and Marner aren’t Kariya and Selanne. This isn’t a Batman and Batman duo, and to get the most out of Matthews he needs to take the next step as The Guy and stop thinking it’s him and Marner with an equal load.

Marner seems to want to be a co-alpha with Matthews and be above Nylander but struggles under the weight of the role when push comes to shove. He needs to take a step back.

Nylander doesn’t seem to want the status and pressure from what I can see and is well slotted in that “Kessel” role in Pittsburgh as the number 3.

So what I think needs to happen from a hierarchy perspective is Matthews needs to step up and unlock a new level of franchise player, while Marner falls back into a more manageable co-number two role. He’s not built to be an alpha and it’s not required of him.
The fact that AM still not taking the Alpha role on the team shows he might not be up for it.
With all the talks about MM disappearing when the pressure is on, AM is guilty of that too.
AM supposedly be the top 3-5 C and player in the league yet year after year, he got outplayed by players who were not even close to him.
You can have alphas playing Betas role but not the other way around.

Ofcourse this could all change this playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The fact that AM still not taking the Alpha role on the team shows he might not be up for it.
With all the talks about MM disappearing when the pressure is on, AM is guilty of that too.
AM supposedly be the top 3-5 C and player in the league yet year after year, he got outplayed by players who were not even close to him.
You can have alphas playing Betas role but not the other way around.

Ofcourse this could all change this playoffs.

Oh yeah, there’s a lot of track record to suggest AM might not be a natural alpha either but I think there’s a sink or swim aspect to this captaincy. Either he grows into it or doesn’t.

But to me he’s a guy with more to give, so load him up with more privilege and responsibility, whereas I don’t think Marner is wired for leadership on a championship winning program.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Matthews
Nylander-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Knies

That sounds great until you have to pay that secondary roll player at 12 million plus. That cripples the team

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Oh yeah, there’s a lot of track record to suggest AM might not be a natural alpha either but I think there’s a sink or swim aspect to this captaincy. Either he grows into it or doesn’t.

But to me he’s a guy with more to give, so load him up with more privilege and responsibility, whereas I don’t think Marner is wired for leadership on a championship winning program.
Of the Core 5.
Reilly seems to be the one who showed he can be an Alpha of the team.
The other guys would rather wait for someone to lead than take the lead themselves and run with it

Reactions: LFKevin21

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of the Core 5.
Reilly seems to be the one who showed he can be an Alpha of the team.
The other guys would rather wait for someone to lead than take the lead themselves and run with it

I don’t quite see him in that light but he does come across as more authentic and mature than the other Core 5. Find that there’s too much variance in the quality of his game for him to lead as captain.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t quite see him in that light but he does come across as more authentic and mature than the other Core 5. Find that there’s too much variance in the quality of his game for him to lead as captain.
Think that might had more to do with Reilly’s game.
He is an offensive Dman without a shot from the point and his defensive game is not the worst but won’t say it is really good either.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
As long as I don't see anymore of this ever again.

This is what a super duper elite defensive forward looks like? All the time in the world to make that play, but he would likely eat a very legal, very mandatory hit.

He opted for loss of possession. Not unlike when he gifted league-leading 5 pucks to the audience!

Reactions: Bust and thewave

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think with a C you can only have 2 A’s without a C, you can have 4 A’s
3 A's, not 4.

Alternate captains wear the letter "A" on their jerseys in the same manner that team captains wear the "C". In the NHL, teams may appoint a captain and up to two alternate captains, or they may appoint three alternate captains and thus no captain.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch ask 12.5M 8 years
Leafs position 11.5M 6 years
Biggest issue is leafs want NO trade restrictions
My guess is they will negotiate something in between on all major issues

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah was more so wondering if you can keep 3 A’s on the jersey each game while having a C.
Nope

The NHL only permits 1 X C and 2 X A in any game.

Dubas came up with the rotating "A" between Matthews and Marner where one would wear a letter at HOME games and one would wear the letter for ROAD games. (unless either was injured).

So with Mathews now the permanent "C" and JT been given his "A" and Rielly holding an "A" since 2016-17 (as Leafs longest serving player) there is no longer a need by Toronto to bend the rules simply to appease Marner and his fragile ego. :wg:

Now I suppose it depends with both JT and Marner on expiring contracts as to who stays and who goes to open up future assistant captain options,

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Mitch ask 12.5M 8 years
Leafs position 11.5M 6 years
Biggest issue is leafs want NO trade restrictions
My guess is they will negotiate something in between on all major issues
For all I care, our Leafs should trade this greedy, non-performing playoff player for a bag of pucks.

His regular season heroics means nothing if he can't duplicate it in the playoffs. At an $8M AAV, I would not have a problem with Money Mitch Marner. However, any sum over that is a rip off, and prevents our Leafs from acquiring better secondary support players.

JMH angry O.

Reactions: LeafGrief

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think the key to the Leafs having more playoff success with Marner is he’s de-emphasized as a leading 1-2 punch with Matthews ....
It's time to move on.

This loser organization cannot pay big bucks for Nylander and Marner. It really is that simple. ANY idea of signing Marner REQUIRES moving on from Nylander FIRST.

Nylander isnt going anywhere.

Thus, Marner is gonzo.

This assumes we are trying to build a cup winner.
Which we probably are not.

Jersey sales >> Winning a cup.

Reactions: Bust and HolyCrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad