Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If you’re organized you pick two alternate captains and go with it.
Yep. Rielly and Tavares. After that I would be looking at Tanev.

View attachment 902936

Rielly has worn an "A" full time since the 2016-17 season.

Matthews and Marner didn't start rotating a "A" until 2019-20 season.

Exactly, we are not taking letter time away from Reilly or Tavares.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Is Treliving just going to wait on signing Marner like he did with Willy and have to pay 1+ M more to sign him? Learn, Brad.
I thought Willy signed for what he originally asked for, not more.

Hopefully he waits on Mitch and doesn't sign him at all, except as part of a sign-and-trade.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I think he will treat us to at least one more of these loserlights before sailing off into the sunset as a UFA.

Shocking that a player making 11 million, with an A, in a playoff game (after 7 years of let downs), down 1-0 in the series...literally gives up on a puck this close to him (see red line) and the bruins easily clear. Speaks volumes about where his heart is and how much "he cares" about winning.

View attachment 902899
Screenshot_2024-08-24-18-00-55~3.png

Mapleafan

Scarborough of course.
May 22, 2016
Canada
There are many many many posts already providing the arguments both for and against.
I haven’t been reading past threads here much. I just don’t see why we must trade him. It’s like everyone overreacted to his poor playoff performance.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can someone who wants Marner traded provide the argument for why? Thanks.
This attached photo is a playoff game...Leafs down in series 1-0. This (red line) was a puck Marner decided he rather give possession to the Bruins instead of what he feared would happen if he touched the puck. Look at how close he is and look how far the Bruins are. You arent winning #$%# with a player making 11 million (12% of the cap)with this mindset. More importantly playing 20 mins a night. This isnt basketball, its a physical sport, the league likes physical hockey in the playoffs and refs police as they are told... as Nylander said, this isnt junior bro. if you fear physical areas your team will suffer.

If one image could summarize why a player sucks in the playoffs, this would be it and its beyond ridiculous:

1724552386538.png

Reactions: Bust

Mapleafan

Scarborough of course.
May 22, 2016
Canada
This is a playoff game...Leafs down in series 1-0. This (red line) was a puck Marner decided he rather give possession to the Bruins instead of what he feared would happen if he touched the puck. Look at how close he is and look how far the Bruins are. You arent winning #$%# with a player making 11 million (12% of the cap)with this mindset. More importantly playing 20 mins a night. This isnt basketball, its a physical sport, the league likes physical hockey and refs police as they are told... as Nylander said, this isnt junior bro. if you fear physical areas your team will suffer.

If one image could summarize why a player sucks in the playoffs, this would be it:

View attachment 903057
He led the team in playoff scoring the year before. Everyone just got super emotional and completely turned on Marner. I don’t really think he’s as poor as people are saying. But of course I’ll listen if we can move him to improve our chances of winning the Cup.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He’s still an excellent player, you can’t just let him walk.
It will suck to let him walk for nothing but it will be catastrophic to resign him for 7-8 years at 12 plus

He led the team in playoff scoring the year before. Everyone just got super emotional and completely turned on Marner. I don’t really think he’s as poor as people are saying. But of course I’ll listen if we can move him to improve our chances of winning the Cup.
Padding assist stats are meaningless. Its pivotal moments like Antropov showed that win rounds and playoffs, not a scared player they bails when he is really needed

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yes... watch those points and you will see they are because of teammate plays. People really underestimate how incredible Matthews is; nhl players dont though. Which is the reason he won the Ted Lindsay a couple years ago and was a finalist over Mcdavid this year. Marner collected numerous points from plays by Nylander and Matthews. Also got a phantom point on a sh goal by Kampf which really was a clearing attempt. He got alot of points because he played alot of mins with Matthews, Nylander, Rielly... and they were incredible. Only a few were by driven by Marner.

Marner is a one trick pony...hangs out in the open areas on lines with ridoculously skilled players. For example 6 million ehlers produces as much on even strength. Only Marner is with supremely skilled teammates. What happened when Marners supremely skilled linamtes were sick? He produced 3 points in 7 games. 1 was a clean faceoff win where he touched ot back to the defenseman who shot and scored thanks to a fantastic screen by Bertuzzi.

Marner doesnt screen goaliea, doesnt go into corners, rarely is in the slot, is in bottom 50% in speed and shot speed and people really think hes found a cheat code of not requiring the skills of elite players in the league? He sucks in the playoffs because he lacka these skills...its not surprising in the least. Btw Dubas was ready to trade him after last years playoffs, despite his production, which means he saw why he produced too.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yes... watch those points and you will see they are because of teammate plays. People really underestimate how incredible Matthews is; nhl players dont though. Which is the reason he won the Ted Lindsay a couple years ago and was a finalist over Mcdavid this year. Marner collected numerous points from plays by Nylander and Matthews. Also got a phantom point on a sh goal by Kampf which really was a clearing attempt. He got alot of points because he played alot of mins with Matthews, Nylander, Rielly... and they were incredible. Only a few were by driven by Marner.

Marner is a one trick pony...hangs out in the open areas on lines with ridoculously skilled players. For example 6 million ehlers produces as much on even strength. Only Marner is with supremely skilled teammates. What happened when Marners supremely skilled linamtes were sick? He produced 3 points in 7 games. 1 was a clean faceoff win where he touched ot back to the defenseman who shot and scored thanks to a fantastic screen by Bertuzzi.

Marner doesnt screen goaliea, doesnt go into corners, rarely is in the slot, is in bottom 50% in speed and shot speed and people really think hes found a cheat code of not requiring the skills of elite players in the league? He sucks in the playoffs because he lacka these skills...its not surprising in the least. Btw Dubas was ready to trade him after last years playoffs, despite his production, which means he saw why he produced too.
Despite his lack of playoff production the voters still voted Matthews as the 3rd best center in the world only behind McDavid and Mack. They still voted him ahead of Barkov and Draisaitl.

Didn't seem like they afforded Marner this same leniency. I think they know whats up.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Despite his lack of playoff production the voters still voted Matthews as the 3rd best center in the world only behind McDavid and Mack. They still voted him ahead of Barkov and Draisaitl.

Didn't seem like they afforded Marner this same leniency. I think they know whats up.
Marner plays with a top 3 center but struggles to break 100 points... hmm wonder whats up?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I keep asking the posters who say "nothing has changed", despite the changes in defence, goaltending, coaching, and now leadership, to explain exactly what they would consider change.

I've mainly got back silence. Other than that, they want one or more of the five with NMCs traded, despite that being virtually impossible. I did have one person mention Shanahan, which I would like to see too.
You know what that means.....come on now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad