Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I'm sure Marner just likes to spend money on that stuff to feel safe. It's nothing new and everyone knows the scrutiny is harsh and when it goes to shit it goes overboard. It's another thing to consider for prospective players.

Keep it up leafs nation, sincerely rest of NHL.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm not saying it's deserved, but when you absolutely bend the organization over in contract negotiations, and follow it up with 5 years of some of the worst playoff performances ever, I find it hard to have sympathy
At the end of the day, it’s just a game. I bag on Marner and hate the leafs, but if he feels a need to have private security, it’s crossed a line.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If this is true it is no surprise. Death threats are fairly common. But i guess after this playoff they are more, and at a bigger risk for a lunatic to act upon.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Security? Maybe it’s too much for him to individually defend against Shambles in the brain these days. Marner is just trying to make himself a better player cause scrambles can really mess that up. All Hail God Emperor Mitch Marner.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Could you imagine him ending up on your team via free agency? This guy is gonna pull a Johnny Hockey, he aint got the marbles to play hockey at the big time but wants the big time money. All of the big 4 deserve to be questioned but this guy really needs to be let go.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Mirtle sounds butthurt as f***. Dudes either making shit up or spreading rumors. Why would you say something like that as a journalist without substantiating it? “You hear about” it? You’re literally the most qualified profession to follow up on a rumor and get to the bottom of it before spouting it out to the public (read: your job). What a hack.
Also, why would a national newspaper publish an article about a rumour spread on a podcast?

Reactions: Sports2

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I'm not saying it's deserved, but when you absolutely bend the organization over in contract negotiations, and follow it up with 5 years of some of the worst playoff performances ever, I find it hard to have sympathy
He has the best playoff PPG of the core 4 and you have no clue what's going on. Maybe there were threats on social media which is fairly common these days. He was also the victim of a carjacking not too long ago was he not? I dont blame him for having more security

The team haven't done well in the playoffs and for some reason he is the chosen target to blame.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think his time is finished in Toronto. It's all turned into a major distraction that management shouldn't like going forward but who knows with our shit-ass management.
It's crazy how much of a pressure cooker that market is. Anyone know the last player that spent their whole career in Toronto? Min 500 games

Kessel all over again. He's 100% gone this summer
Wonder if Dubas is going to take a swing at landing his boy

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It's crazy how much of a pressure cooker that market is. Anyone know the last player that spent their whole career in Toronto? Min 500 games

Wonder if Dubas is going to take a swing at landing his boy

Well at this point Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Rielly are all over with 500 games with three of them just signing long term contracts to stay here.

Sundin and Kaberle would be my best guesses before that.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Well at this point Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Rielly are all over with 500 games with three of them just signing long term contracts to stay here.

Sundin and Kaberle would be my best guesses before that.
No meant their whole careers beginning to end. Sundin and Kaberle played elsewhere as well

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Weird thing is he'd be absolutely nails on the Hurricanes. Canada just sucks really hard, aside from the fantastic cuisine and nice people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad