Proposal: Marner for Eichel +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Toronto receives:
Jack Eichel
Conditional Sabres 2023 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2022-23 season)
Conditional Sabres 2024 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2023-24 season)
Conditional Sabres 2025 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2024-25 season)

Buffalo receives:
Mitchell Marner

Buffalo receives a prime Marner that it can use to its own benefit or can decide to ship off with retained salary for a boatload of players and prospects. Toronto receives a huge question mark in Jack Eichel and gambles that post-surgery he can play next year and beyond. The conditional picks are there as insurance in case Jack Eichel doesn't successfully heal or requires more time spent on the IR due to the current injury. Say if Eichel plays in 60+ games each of those seasons, the pick gets downgraded to a later-round pick.

Best case scenario: Marner for Eichel + 0-3 5/6/7th round picks
Worst case scenario: Marner for Eichel on the IR for the rest of his contract and 3 first-round picks.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Toronto receives:
Jack Eichel
Conditional Sabres 2023 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2022-23 season)
Conditional Sabres 2024 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2023-24 season)
Conditional Sabres 2025 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2024-25 season)

Buffalo receives:
Mitchell Marner

Buffalo receives a prime Marner that it can use to its own benefit or can decide to ship off with retained salary for a boatload of players and prospects. Toronto receives a huge question mark in Jack Eichel and gambles that post-surgery he can play next year and beyond. The conditional picks are there as insurance in case Jack Eichel doesn't successfully heal or requires more time spent on the IR due to the current injury. Say if Eichel plays in 60+ games each of those seasons, the pick gets downgraded to a later-round pick.

Worst case scenario: Marner for Eichel on the IR for the rest of his contract and 3 first-round picks.

Not sure what those conditional # of games are... but anyways.... zero chance the Sabres would agree to those conditions for that type of compensation. You are basically saying Marner is worth 3 first round picks if Eichel misses any significant time... with that contract and his performance over the past year, I highly doubt he holds that kind of value.

How about those same conditions reversed, if Marner sucks the big one over the next few years? Based on the past year+ , both conditions have an equal probability.

Eichel > Marner

I think the value difference between the 2 players would be the offset in case Eichel doesn't stay healthy.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t think the answer for Toronto is trading one high priced forward for another.
The issue is too much cap tied up in four forwards. If Marner goes it should be for an upgrade on D or in goal plus the extra cap space to add better depth forwards.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What about conditions on Marner playing games? Hes only played 1 so far this season and missed all of playoffs last year

Toronto fans desperate to ship off marner... before matthews leaves for a pacific division team in a couple years and marner gives up on hockey without his bestie matthews.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
While marner clearly has more value than eichel right now. I don’t see how it can be 3 picks?

Chuck1377

Jul 9, 2021
Toronto receives:
Jack Eichel

Buffalo receives:
Mitchell Marner

Marner for eichel might actually be good for both franchises

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
When I think what do the Leafs need the most, my first thought was a 10m c. Maybe have 18 c's on the roster with Hutch in the net.

Reactions: TML1990

Chuck1377

Jul 9, 2021
With nothing added on either side of course. Getting marner for eichel is probably one of the best deals Buffalo is gonna get.

For Toronto they get eichel I think they'd be happy with that too.
If someone was gonna add though it would be Toronto though, but not a lot I think tbh.

Buffalo wouldn't be adding anything I don't think.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I get what you're trying to do but it just doesn't make sense. If Eichel's surgery doesn't work out, Buffalo is coughing up possibly 2-3 top 5 picks for Marner (who doesn't really fit the timeline that well given we just moved out Reinhart + Eichel leaving), which would be an utter disaster. Basically the Sabres need to bank on the ADR working out for Eichel...and the whole point of trading him is that they're not willing to take that gamble.

If you want to make this swap, I agree the Sabres need to add given Eichel's situation, but it wouldn't be with their own firsts. But I don't think the Sabres would even want to do this swap and would rather get futures.

Alternatively the Leafs could probably make a competitive offer for Eichel with futures (Robertson + + ) and then flip Marner when Eichel comes off LTIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad