Proposal: Marner for Eichel +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think Toronto fans realize that Marner has negative value with his contract
This is the exact issue with MM. I think he could return Jack straight up; he has that value. BUT likely MM would be traded for an older D man making similar dollars - Erik Karlsson for example.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Do Sabres fans really think they’d get a better return than a 24 year old star winger signed for 4 more years for a centre with a broken neck?

or is a mishmash of spare part prospects and mid-range draft picks just that sexy?

Peyton Krebs >>> Mitch Marner, only on HF.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I don’t think Toronto fans realize that Marner has negative value with his contract
Let’s be honest, negative value is a bit of a stretch, but he damn sure isn’t bringing back the value that most leafs fans would like to see.

It’s a boat anchor contract for sure.

Reactions: Dache

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Do Sabres fans really think they’d get a better return than a 24 year old star winger signed for 4 more years for a centre with a broken neck?

or is a mishmash of spare part prospects and mid-range draft picks just that sexy?

I don’t think the actual idea of Marner for Eichel is the part Sabres fans are scoffing at. It’s the three 1st round picks that this nobody is proposing.

I mean the only time that comes to mind when three 1st rounders were involved in a trade was Gretzky. :laugh:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Marner isn’t returning potentially 3 1sts alone.. adding eichel though? Lmfao!

Reactions: TML1990

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
This proposal isn't as bad as many are making it seem. I think Eichel for Marner straight up is more realistic though.

Fully healthy, Eichel as a 1C has more value than a top line winger in Marner. However, Eichel needs surgery and probably won't play this season. There's also no guarantee he will fully recover. And when you factor in the bad blood between Eichel and the Sabres, that puts Buffalo in a weak bargaining position.

I think a trade based around Eichel and Marner could actually materialize. We'll see.

Matthews/Eichel would make an elite 1-2 punch down the middle. Tavares would likely be moved at that point and the Captaincy given to Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Toronto receives:
Jack Eichel
Conditional Sabres 2023 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2022-23 season)
Conditional Sabres 2024 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2023-24 season)
Conditional Sabres 2025 1st (condition is based on # of games played by Jack Eichel in the 2024-25 season)

Buffalo receives:
Mitchell Marner

Buffalo receives a prime Marner that it can use to its own benefit or can decide to ship off with retained salary for a boatload of players and prospects. Toronto receives a huge question mark in Jack Eichel and gambles that post-surgery he can play next year and beyond. The conditional picks are there as insurance in case Jack Eichel doesn't successfully heal or requires more time spent on the IR due to the current injury. Say if Eichel plays in 60+ games each of those seasons, the pick gets downgraded to a later-round pick.

Best case scenario: Marner for Eichel + 0-3 5/6/7th round picks
Worst case scenario: Marner for Eichel on the IR for the rest of his contract and 3 first-round picks.

I think you forgot to add Owen Power to your proposal.

Reactions: billsandsabres

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Another delusional leaf fan post.

Eichel is worth more than Marner. The Sabres in the middle of a rebuild, why would they swap their 1C for a small winger (with a terrible playoff record and is currently ice cold) who is the same age, makes more, and is signed to shorter term?

Buffalo is going to want u21 blue chip prospects and picks. This proposal unsurprisingly only considers the leafs and doesn't take the Sabres into consideration

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Another delusional leaf fan post.

Eichel is worth more than Marner. The Sabres in the middle of a rebuild, why would they swap their 1C for a small winger (with a terrible playoff record and is currently ice cold) who is the same age, makes more, and is signed to shorter term?

Buffalo is going to want u21 blue chip prospects and picks. This proposal unsurprisingly only considers the leafs and doesn't take the Sabres into consideration

The original post is awful. But in terms of the bolded statement, Buffalo would make that trade (or at least consider it) because Marner's neck works and currently Eichel's does not. I'm not saying that's the best offer or fit.

Marner has a bad contract, but he's a young player in his prime. Today, I don't think an injured Eichel is worth more than Marner.

Reactions: TML1990

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So Marner for healthy Eichel

or Marner for a shot at Wright and Bedard and …

lol

what’s in it for Buffalo?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I think the Sabres can do a lot better than trade for a winger with a poor value contract.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Do Leaf fans really think they'd get Eichel AND potentially three 1st round picks for Marner?

If there's one side that's being unreasonable, it's the one that thinks adding 3 first round picks to a player who is already arguably the better player is fair.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Man, for a superstar winger Marner sure doesn’t get a whole lot of appreciation from even his own fans!

The 1sts can be swapped from the other side to accommodate this trade, thanks OP.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Since Marner is the better player and not suffering from a potential career altering injury then shouldn't Buffalo be adding?

Marner has more points with less games played and despite his non existent playoff goal scoring he's still nearly a PPG player in 32 playoff games while Eichel is still an unknown for playoff performance. I'm guessing Eichel is worth more on hfboards because of draft pedigree and being a center? If Marner was offered 1 for 1 for Eichel, Buffalo would take it and run.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think the more interesting deal would involve Matthews, Eichel, and Arizona.

Coyotes get Matthews before his contract is up.
Leafs get Eichel.
Sabres get a raft of picks and prospects.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Since Marner is the better player and not suffering from a potential career altering injury then shouldn't Buffalo be adding?

Marner has more points with less games played and despite his non existent playoff goal scoring he's still nearly a PPG player in 32 playoff games while Eichel is still an unknown for playoff performance. I'm guessing Eichel is worth more on hfboards because of draft pedigree and being a center? If Marner was offered 1 for 1 for Eichel, Buffalo would take it and run.
No they wouldn't. Sometimes you need to analyze a little deeper than points. What use does Buffalo have for a highly paid winger who cant shoot and seems to be getting weaker by the year? His game is not built for playoff success and is basically empty calorie stats. Buffalo can do better trading Eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad