Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Nylander (maybe small plus) for Ritchie + Manson still makes sense to me

You get a big Left winger with grit, and a big shutdown right D while saving cap space. Find a way to clear out Zaitsev, maybe Brown and we're fine.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ritchie - Mathews - Bracco
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Marleau - Goat - Moore
Petan

Rielly - Manson
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin/Rosen - Hainsey (1 year deal)

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

You get a big Left winger with grit, and a big shutdown right D while saving cap space. Find a way to clear out Zaitsev, maybe Brown and we're fine.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Goat - Moore
Petan

Rielly - Manson
Muzzin - Dermott

Anaheim says no to that deal.

Brown and Zaitsev (especially) will be hard to move.

If Babs is around, zero chance Marleau plays on the 4th line.

Reactions: hudster

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I may be alone in this but I don't see Panarin as a Marner replacement at all.
Perhaps I haven't watched him as often as others but he struck me as more of a shooter.

Top 20 in assists by a winger the last two seasons and under 200 SOG last season so he is a pass first guy, but with decent hands. Not Marner's equal as a play maker but with a decent center like Tavares I think he could score 35ish.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yikes that really puts it into perspective. Matthews and JT are no where near as good as Malkin / Crosby were at that stage. Marner might be equal to Kessel (he should have won the Smyth when he won the cup) and Nylander, well who knows with him.

You can have your own opinion about the Leafs core, but I think a lot of posters on here agree that the core is good enough to be a contender.

The argument was about having a teams top players making a large percentage of the cap allowance.

Again, you missed the point of the post, not sure if intentionally or not, but I would assume intentionally.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Goat - Moore
Petan

Rielly - Manson
Muzzin - Dermott

That Matthews line is way worse then if he had Nylander on his wing. Which is what should have happened this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You can have your own opinion about the Leafs core, but I think a lot of posters on here agree that the core is good enough to be a contender.

The argument was about having a teams top players making a large percentage of the cap allowance.

Again, you missed the point of the post, not sure if intentionally or not, but I would assume intentionally.

And I am saying we are paying more for a worse core. I guess we will see anyways because they'll get the chance to win some cups with a skeleton crew of a supporting cast like the Pens did thanks to their inflated salaries.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Once Marner is signed Leafs not only will have the highest combined Cap hit for their 2 centres, but Marner + Nylander a pair of wingers will be top 5 as well highest AAV as well.

1) Matthews/Tavares
2) McDavid/Draisatil
3) Crosby/Malkin
------------------------------
4) Marner/Nylander
5) Kopitar/Carter

What an exhaustive list this is.

Yikes that really puts it into perspective. Matthews and JT are no where near as good as Malkin / Crosby were at that stage. Marner might be equal to Kessel (he should have won the Smyth when he won the cup) and Nylander, well who knows with him.

Puts what into perspective? That the cost of keeping your top talent increases as the cap goes up?

In 5 years from now teams will be looking back on us wishing "damn, wish we could have signed our top talent when the cap was that low". It's a constantly-moving target.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Pittsburg in 2015-2016 for an example:

Top 4 paid players:

Pittsburg 2015-2016 - 32.25 mil (45% of cap)
  • Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang
Leafs 2019-2020 - 39.5 mil (47% of cap)
  • Matthews, Tavares, Marner (@10), Nylander
Its not the greatest cap situation but with proper moves it's completely possible.

It seems to me like you are using around 84M for the cap which seems pretty high (unless you have heard otherwise). And, of course, if Marner goes above 10 to 11 or 12 like his supporters seem to want then the 4 will likely be above 50%.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
And I am saying we are paying more for a worse core. I guess we will see anyways because they'll get the chance to win some cups with a skeleton crew of a supporting cast like the Pens did thanks to their inflated salaries.

Honestly the core is pretty close to that, and look at the last 5 Stanley cup winners. All within 5% of that for core players.

Again not the point of the post in anyway so it's not what I was pointing out, but you knew that already and chose to ignore it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Once Marner is signed Leafs not only will have the highest combined Cap hit for their 2 centres, but Marner + Nylander a pair of wingers will be top 5 as well highest AAV as well.

1) Matthews/Tavares
2) McDavid/Draisatil
3) Crosby/Malkin
------------------------------
4) Marner/Nylander
5) Kopitar/Carter

You're forgetting all the other players that need to sign.
Laine/Wheeler will be higher
Rantanen/Landeskog
Point/Stamkos will be on the list.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It seems to me like you are using around 84M for the cap which seems pretty high (unless you have heard otherwise). And, of course, if Marner goes above 10 to 11 or 12 like his supporters seem to want then the 4 will likely be above 50%.

Using 83 mil. which is already reported as next year's cap.

Even if he gets 11 its not above 50%.

It literally takes 1 min to do the math instead of pulling numbers out of nowhere, why not just do it first ?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What an exhaustive list this is.

Puts what into perspective? That the cost of keeping your top talent increases as the cap goes up?

In 5 years from now teams will be looking back on us wishing "damn, wish we could have signed our top talent when the cap was that low". It's a constantly-moving target.

He used the cap% so this point is irrelevant.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That Matthews line is way worse then if he had Nylander on his wing. Which is what should have happened this year.
Disagree. That would turn into line 1 pretty quick. Matty and Bracco would be 100 pt players next season and Richie a good Toronto boy would be our top 3 toughest guy in NHL and open up a ton of ice for the boys and pop 30+ too.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Disagree. That would turn into line 1 pretty quick. Matty and Bracco would be 100 pt players next season and Richie a good Toronto boy would be our top 3 toughest guy in NHL and open up a ton of ice for the boys and pop 30+ too.

If Bracco is that good why isn't he playing in the NHL already, and if Richie is that good why is his career high 30 points ?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Using 83 mil. which is already reported as next year's cap.

Even if he gets 11 its not above 50%.

It literally takes 1 min to do the math instead of pulling numbers out of nowhere, why not just do it first ?

I did the math and if Marner is getting 10M the four make up 48% (47.7%) of the cap if the cap is 83M, not the 47% you said, so thanks math guy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
True but all those contracts were signed in the past - the next wave of contracts are going to be even expensive

The next wave might be after Leafs compete window of the next 5 years.

TB + Bos + Was + Pitt etc from the East all have their stars mostly under cheaper contracts than the Leafs..

With Matthews #2 highest AAV and JT @ #3 highest and if Marner get +$10 mil he will also jump into the top 10 highest.

Having 3 players in the top 10 including #2 and #3 is going to have consequences when it comes to icing a Cup competitive team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Bracco is that good why isn't he playing in the NHL already, and if Richie is that good why is his career high 30 points ?
Babs one big issue. Second big issue is his full ice skating. He will never be a great up down wall guy though. His game is down low in the offensive end. Creativity and ice vision and passing already at an elite NHL level. If he came up he would instantly be our best power play player. Still needs defensive work in his own end.
On positive I have seen him play with Matty a few times live and it is crazy how well they fit together. Matty feeds off of him. There is no other player currently in our system who enhances Matty's game like Bracco. At some point if not next season everyone will get to see it too and the shock and awe will be incredible.
But they would only be at full capacity with a fast tough winger who can open up more ice for them to work their magic passing games. They play close together and it is all very short give and go type passes.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I may be alone in this but I don't see Panarin as a Marner replacement at all.
Perhaps I haven't watched him as often as others but he struck me as more of a shooter.
You are not alone. He is a shooter not a playmaker and Marner is a better overall player and with a lot more up side. His assist totals are high this year as he carried the mail a lot. Similar to JT who always had more assists. Like JT he is a shooter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad