Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It would be quite an interesting sign if the Leafs at some point trade away Horton's contract. It would definitely be a sign of a hold out into the season. A move like that would have to be made to make that possible.

Reactions: CDN24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It would be quite an interesting sign if the Leafs at some point trade away Horton's contract. It would definitely be a sign of a hold out into the season. A move like that would have to be made to make that possible.

Its too bad that thing, Hortons contract, is not insured as that will make it costier to move. Otherwise uncle Eugene would be all over that like a fly on shit. Trading it away would send a message to Marners camp- we are prepared to take this as long as we have to. At this point it would be an expensive message, not many teams with the real $$ and space to eat that thing comfortably so while maybe not Marleau expensive it will be close.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
The point is arbitrary statements like its never happened that a player has played well after sitting out are flat out wrong. I was able to provide 3 examples easily by thinking of high profile guys who sat out. I am sure there are more examples. What about injuries? Shea Weber missed pretty much a full calendar year to injury and campe back at the same time as Nylander last year with no production drop off.

Saying no one comes back as good after sitting out for more than a month and missing camp is excusing Nylander for last years disaster of a season. Willie might be the outlier here. Maybe he will be better this year, can't be much work. Thedifference between Coffey/Larmer/ Bure/and weber to Nylander is what? Maybe they were willing to put in the work while sitting out or injured. Seems like Willie coasted or he can't produce at all with out Matthews at centre, neither alternative seems to be worth 6.96AAV.

I hope Marner does not sit out but if he does I'm willing to bet he comes back just as productive as last year.

this is exactly the response I got when I said last October that Willy needs to sit out the season. "He will be fine" "this doesnt apply to high skill guys" blah blah blah

and now I get the same response all over again.

lie to yourself all you want. I saw Willy's horrible season coming in October. The player himself even says so but no, keep up the made up BS.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Its too bad that thing, Hortons contract, is not insured as that will make it costier to move. Otherwise uncle Eugene would be all over that like a fly on ****. Trading it away would send a message to Marners camp- we are prepared to take this as long as we have to. At this point it would be an expensive message, not many teams with the real $$ and space to eat that thing comfortably so while maybe not Marleau expensive it will be close.

Yea it would be expensive. For reference, it cost a 1st to get Carolina to eat $3.5m of Marleau. Don't really want to know what it'll cost to get someone to eat $5.3m of Horton. Wonder if we'd be better off trading Ceci if the alternative were Horton.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
oh sorry I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just adding to the feeding of info to dreger.
Sorry, but aren't you the guy that, during the Nylander holdout, refused to believe anything unless it came directly from the horses' mouth?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sorry, but aren't you the guy that, during the Nylander holdout, refused to believe anything unless it came directly from the horses' mouth?

I mean is paul marner not close enough? im sorry it had to be direct marners mouth. I said I didn't believe Nylander's dad was the problem because of some dreger and other tweets. Paul came out and shot his mouth off once already so, its not a stretch to see the marner camp drip feeding to dreger.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Devils are the team I'm thinking about for an offer sheet.

They're one of two teams that can afford him without having to make a trade (Ottawa)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
this is exactly the response I got when I said last October that Willy needs to sit out the season. "He will be fine" "this doesnt apply to high skill guys" blah blah blah

and now I get the same response all over again.

lie to yourself all you want. I saw Willy's horrible season coming in October. The player himself even says so but no, keep up the made up BS.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Marner will miss training camp at most imo, the leafs cant wait as long as they did for nylander its not possible im led to believe. And marner is better than nylander so it damn well shouldn't affect him like nylander was affected. WE are talking about a player some want to pay more than freaking auston Matthews after all

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Devils are the team I'm thinking about for an offer sheet.

They're one of two teams that can afford him without having to make a trade (Ottawa)

haha maybe Mitch can do radio adds for Tony Soprano's insurance companies there.
"eh you buy this insurance or we will make you wish you bought the insurance capiche!"

Reactions: MattySnipes

lschenn02

Jul 15, 2009
Fort McMurray
Yea it would be expensive. For reference, it cost a 1st to get Carolina to eat $3.5m of Marleau. Don't really want to know what it'll cost to get someone to eat $5.3m of Horton. Wonder if we'd be better off trading Ceci if the alternative were Horton.
they would be eating 3.6M in actual dollars and getting a 5.3M cap hit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The hypocrisy around here is astounding at times.

Reactions: dsred

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

In actual dollars Horton is about the same $3,6M actual dollars with 5.3M cap hit.

A team like Anaheim has everyone signed with the Cap space to do it and still have a cushion left over. historically they are not a cap spending team and dollars matter. What would it take to get them to spend 3.6M. Would they do it for a 1st, maybe but I can't see leafs giving up another 1st. Would Leafs give up a good prospect in say Sandin to do it.

End of the day leafs have to sign or trade Marner by October 1st. Not really many other options. You can't waste the year that you have Muzzin and Barrie for a combined 6.7 with Marner sitting out all year. If he sits into the season for more than a couple weeks and the LTIR issues make signing him problematic then you are left with one option - trade.

Obviously both sides know this so I think a deal gets done before the season starts.

Reactions: mavis

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Disagree.

Leafs lost in the first round anyways.

If the leafs made Nylander sit out, it would have helped in the Matthews and Marner negotiations. Dubas wouldn’t have the reputation as a lightweight that caves.

And they may have been able to use the saved cap amount on a short term playoff rental or two.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Nope. It only makes sense to judge a GM by the decisions he makes with the information he has and since nobody can see into the future, that's that.
Nonsense.

Gm’s have to make a lot of difficult decisions, and they are judged/assessed based on the outcomes of those decisions.

It goes both ways. If a gm makes a lot of difficult decisions, and it leads to a cup, those decisions in hindsight would be considered genius.

As it is, Dubas had a difficult decision.

Set a bad precedent by caving in to a rfa’s dramatic overpayment, or lose that player for a season where the leafs were legitimate cup contenders.

Leafs go deep in the playoffs and Nylander was a major contributor? Dubas was a genius.

As it is, the leafs lost in the first round, and the other star rfa’s walked all over him due to the Nylander precedent.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hear Marner is going to be on Tim and Sid today.
Might be worth a watch

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I am so starved for hockey news I will settle for a Marner interview with no mention of his negotiations whatsoever.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

"My agent has been in constant contact......" yada yada yada
Charity talk

Maybe he'll fill Leafs Nation in on exactly what's going on in the negotiations. :biglaugh:

I am so starved for hockey news I will settle for a Marner interview with no mention of his negotiations whatsoever.

Well you're in luck then, because you just described exactly what you are going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad