Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hometown, homegrown? Grass-fed too?

I'm sorry but being homegrown should be way down on the list. Potential HOFer? He is paid like one for sure.

Don't let his physique confuse you, he is a grown (homegrown) man, we are paying him to score goals, not for his potential anymore.

Marner’s career numbers alone are going to get him to the Hall of Fame

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner gonna have a 110 point season this year watch.
After him being the worst player on the ice in the biggest playoff game of the year, I'm going to have a hard time caring. I don't care if he gets 110 or 70 points in the regular season, can he elevate his game when it counts the most is the question. So far the answer is no and considering he's already in his prime, hard to have much confidence in that happening going forward.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
After him being the worst player on the ice in the biggest playoff game of the year, I'm going to have a hard time caring. I don't care if he gets 110 or 70 points in the regular season, can he elevate his game when it counts the most is the question. So far the answer is no and considering he's already in his prime, hard to have much confidence in that happening going forward.

That’s not really what the question is/was. Marner is probably going to be a hall of famer easily. I also disagree I wouldn’t say he was the worst. For me Matthews was by far the worst out of the big 3 from regular season to playoffs. He just looked so disengaged, couldn’t score for us in big moments and that’s supposed to be our big dog and leader.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That’s not really what the question is/was. Marner is probably going to be a hall of famer easily. I also disagree I wouldn’t say he was the worst. For me Matthews was by far the worst out of the big 3 from regular season to playoffs. He just looked so disengaged, couldn’t score for us in big moments and that’s supposed to be our big dog and leader.
Game 3 against FLA with the season on the line, Marner was arguably the worst player on the ice.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I dont think it is debatable that he is a good player and we are lucky to have him. The issue is about cap and marners percieved self worth. All 3 if matthews, marner, and nylander are going to use personal stats and success to try to justify new contracts that are even more expensive then their current ones.

The issue is this is a team sport and we cannot have team success if we prioritize individual success. Until one of them realizes that they want to win as well as make money, the team cannot be competitive with these guys since they cannot put together the rest of the team with limited capspace.

If they cared about their teammates they each could have taken a million less and we probably could have kept hyman. They will never put their teammates before themselves which is why i believe strongly that 2 of the 3 should get traded.
Not what the poster said at all

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So most go out of their way to say he isn't worth his contract because while good, it isn't good enough. Not you though. You go out of your way to say he played poorly and deny he was a top player. Maybe you should re-evaluate your hockey knowledge. It is pretty clear you have an agenda or a knowledge gap

He is overpaid 2.5m-3m. If he loves Toronto he should take a shave. He fought tooth and nail for that overpay and hasn't delivered anything exceptional post season.

Lets face it, guys getting paid close or more than guys that wreck him in playoff points per game. All teams know stick to Marner like glue and rough him or make sure the threat of him being roughed up is constant.

In gaming terms... He is the easiest boss to beat in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: fan87 and Al14

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sorry but Marner is almost at Matthews' level.

90+ point Selke winger, who elevates every line he's on and everybody who has played with him has career years? You're going to trade this guy?

Unless you're getting Jack Hughes or Elias Pettersson, there's no deal to be made. And they're not getting Jack Hughes or Elias Pettersson.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Unless you're getting Jack Hughes or Elias Pettersson, there's no deal to be made. And they're not getting Jack Hughes or Elias Pettersson.
Matthews for Pettersson is the deal I'm clamoring for and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if Matthews and the Canucks could verbally agree on an extension. Matthews is coming off a down year and Pettersson off his career year. But 12 months ago Matthews had a triumphant 60 goal MVP season and Elias had a spotty 68 points in 80gp. Let's be honest, if this deal was proposed then, it would be perceived as a comical landslide win for Vancouver.

If Treliving phones the Canucks and offers this deal, they will not be hanging up the phone without discussing it in length.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You gotta score more goals than the other team to win. Points are the single most important stat and it's not even up for discussion. But a hockey team is more than just the sum of its players and their points tallies. You need guys who will do it all, no job is too small or unimportant, and there must be balance. The issue with Marner is that by nature of his point production, he is expected to be a leader on the team. He also wears the A on his shirt that indicates he's a leader. Hockey players look to their best players to lead them and while Marner can put points on the board with the best of them, he's not a strong leader. He disappears when the going gets tough, and that failure in leadership runs down to every rung of the team. What motivates the grinders to work hard for the logo if the big gun is shooting duds? A team needs contributions from everyone in their roles and Marner chose the mantle of leadership, a role in which he cannot deliver.
What a foolish post because by your above metrics he was our best forward. He lead the team in points and was our best plus minus forward he won his minutes. Same can not be said about all of his team mates.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
On the bright side, if we trade him we got tons of assets back, now that Dubas is not protecting him. Marner could be the family member Kyle was so worried about!

Plus we already got an appreciation thread so we are covered.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What a foolish post because by your above metrics he was our best forward. He lead the team in points and was our best plus minus forward he won his minutes. Same can not be said about all of his team mates.
Bruh, this is one of those eyeballs and critical thinking moments. Marner was phenomenal against the Lightning, aint no complaints there. He was utter garbage against the Panthers, much like his CBJ and MTL series. There is plenty of blame to be distributed amongst the teammates, but a guy who wears a letter on his shirt is sure as hell going to get dragged for leadership when he’s awful in our biggest games.

I think you’ve liked all of the posts I’ve made about Rielly and what a big game player he is, and how that makes him a central leader on this team. Marner is the exact opposite. 8 points in the first four games against Tampa, then 4 points in the next seven. Rielly scored all of our big goals (he was even screening Vasi for the series clincher) and produced 4p against the Panthers and was by light years our best player. I’m not dragging Marner for his lack of production overall, I’m dragging him for disappearing after he padded his stats and then not having big moments. One goal from a screened blue line shot in game 4 against Florida after he was completely invisible in Game 3 aint it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I just rewatched the first period of game 3 vs Panthers. I focused on just players on the ice instead of the puck, because I already know the outcome of the game. It's incredible how bad Marner is in the period. He handled the puck like a grenade anytime he had the puck, he killed any possession the leafs had. He created absolutely nothing the entire period and wasn't able to carry the puck at all. While players on both teams were bouncing off each other everywhere, he didn't attempt to he even brush against the opponent. He looked like he was actively avoiding contact. Nylander looked soft but he at least was able to carry the puck with speed into the offensive zone.

Oreilly stood out everywhere, winning battles, throwing hits, making plays.

Looking forward to watching more periods as I get time.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
Can't wait for marner to be traded this summer so he can pull a Kessel and an eichel to his ex. And nylander too. Wonder when the leafs will stop driving all their good players out of town and stop letting the media and these dude bro trolls who make it 10x worst. They don't care about winning a cup. They care about clicks and making sure you hate the "soft twinks" who arent manly enough. A whole lot of exiles on this Vegas team rubbing it in to their old organizations who publicly mistreated and disrespected them. Love to see it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
On the bright side, if we trade him we got tons of assets back, now that Dubas is not protecting him. Marner could be the family member Kyle was so worried about!

Plus we already got an appreciation thread so we are covered.
Because of how much he is overpaid, we may not get as much back and a lot of people seem to think.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Can't wait for marner to be traded this summer so he can pull a Kessel and an eichel to his ex. And nylander too. Wonder when the leafs will stop driving all their good players out of town and stop letting the media and these dude bro trolls who make it 10x worst. They don't care about winning a cup. They care about clicks and making sure you hate the "soft twinks" who arent manly enough. A whole lot of exiles on this Vegas team rubbing it in to their old organizations who publicly mistreated and disrespected them. Love to see it.
Most people who talk about softness are typically the guys who shit themselves when someone in real life show any aggression against them.
The bragadoccio is pretty laughable...especially with the accountant types who believe that 1mm here or there is the vital stat for success with little understanding of the nuances of the game including what tough vs soft actually mean

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most people who talk about softness are typically the guys who shit themselves when someone in real life show any aggression against them.
The bragadoccio is pretty laughable...especially with the accountant types who believe that 1mm here or there is the vital stat for success with little understanding of the nuances of the game including what tough vs soft actually mean
Mental toughness is what Marner lacks. His performance in game 3 against Florida (the biggest game of the year), was one for the ages and not in a good way. Sure it was just one game, but it was just so bad, I can't remember a more disappointing performance by a single player in one game in my 50+ years of watching this team play.

And before you start in with ass licking (which you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with), I will add that I've been a huge fan of the way he's played over the last couple of seasons, I had high hopes for him going into the playoffs and he started out looking good. But then came that all-time pathetic performance in the biggest moment of the season and he exposed himself, that's all there is to it.

Maybe he can come back from that and somehow redeem himself and make me forget about how he played like a nervous rookie in the biggest game of the year. Anything's possible I guess, but hard to see it happening at this point.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It did take Washington many years but their Core changed plenty over the years. They didn’t stand Pat expecting different results after doing the same thing.
Yeah people always like using Washington as an example but don't acknowledge how much change went on there over the course of their contending status

They started off as young guns with a core of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Semin. They did not win the cup with all 4 lol

Reactions: um

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah people always like using Washington as an example but don't acknowledge how much change went on there over the course of their contending status

They started off as young guns with a core of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Semin. They did not win the cup with all 4 lol

Yup and they made a huge move to acquire Oshie as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yep, they kept the best two. One scorer, one play maker.

Reactions: Sypher04

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Bruh, this is one of those eyeballs and critical thinking moments. Marner was phenomenal against the Lightning, aint no complaints there. He was utter garbage against the Panthers, much like his CBJ and MTL series. There is plenty of blame to be distributed amongst the teammates, but a guy who wears a letter on his shirt is sure as hell going to get dragged for leadership when he’s awful in our biggest games.

I think you’ve liked all of the posts I’ve made about Rielly and what a big game player he is, and how that makes him a central leader on this team. Marner is the exact opposite. 8 points in the first four games against Tampa, then 4 points in the next seven. Rielly scored all of our big goals (he was even screening Vasi for the series clincher) and produced 4p against the Panthers and was by light years our best player. I’m not dragging Marner for his lack of production overall, I’m dragging him for disappearing after he padded his stats and then not having big moments. One goal from a screened blue line shot in game 4 against Florida after he was completely invisible in Game 3 aint it.
Well he had more points against Florida than nylander tavares and our annointed king matthews.
Matthews has proven time and time again to absolutely shit the bed in big games.
Yet everyone shits on marner lol

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Green and Semin were never traded, for the record. They left in UFA after declining. That's more similar to us moving on from JVR and Gardiner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad