Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Can’t say I’m a fan of Miller over Villeneuve. I have been hopeful for Villeneuve turning into something since he was drafted. Seems to have a good head and flashed offensive skill in junior. Guess he just hasn’t shown enough. Too bad. Looks like he doesn’t have the trust of the coaching staff.

I'm thinking they may rotate some players in for tomorrows game. Early still for Villeneuve to establish himself as a mainstay in the top-six. Lots of depth there this year at the moment.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marlies opening lineup:

Abruzzese - Shaw - Nylander
Hirvonen - Blandisi - Steeves
Grebenkin - Paré - Tverberg
Mastrosimone - Quillan - Solow

Rifai - Miller
Kokkonen - Mattinen
Webber - Niemelä

Murray
Akhtyamov

Murray starts. Miller gets the edge over Villeneuve. Miller/Rifai make for an interesting shutdown pair. Barbolini/Clifford/Kressler etc. extras.

*And as I say that, 1-0 San Diego lol

So Eric Nesterenko scored a minute in.
He must be 90 years old now isn't he?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
After two:
Quills is quick out there. Bit greasy too.
Tverberg makes quick decisions with the puck. You can see the upside.
Greb looking good and confident with the puck, but he hasn’t had it much.
Steeves on the pk, looked okay so far. Not on the PP though.
Rifai with a nice finish.
Not sure if Matt Murray is cool and collected or a lil slow.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I've been told that there are rumours going around that Matt Murray is not a good goaltender. I don't know if there is any truth to these rumours, it's just what I've heard - want to make that clear.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Marlies pull a late (under 2 minutes) go-ahead goal. On a delayed PP, Shaw feeds it over to Abruzzese for the finish on a 2 on 1.

Finish with the 4-3 win. Murray faced 21 shots.
Interesting the Steeves is getting plenty of defensive assignments, pk and end of game.

Not a great flow game for the Marlies, but good enough.

Hoping Kress, WillyNeuve and AA draw in tomorrow.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Marlies lineup today:

Barbolini - Quillan - Solow

Rifai - Niemelä
Kokkonen - Mattinen
Pietroniro - Villeneuve

Akhtyamov
Peksa

Webber and Miller come out on the back end. Barbolini in for Mastrosimone on forward.

Reactions: Leafed

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Marlies lineup today:

Barbolini - Quillan - Solow

Rifai - Niemelä
Kokkonen - Mattinen
Pietroniro - Villeneuve

Akhtyamov
Peksa

Webber and Miller come out on the back end. Barbolini in for Mastrosimone on forward.
AA getting the start which is cool, and WikkyNeuve on is good.
Missing some Kressler, still.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
I'm at the game and AA has been pretty solid.

I feel like Mattinen is just a half step behind everyone. He hasn't been bad but his reaction time isn't quite AHL level

Reactions: hockeywiz542

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Topi Niemela and other undersized prospects caught in Maple Leafs organizational shift - The Athletic

If you didn’t know any better while watching Topi Niemela during the Toronto Maple Leafs rookie tournament in September, it would have been easy to assume he was on the fast track to the NHL.

Niemela’s skating, efficient decision-making and skill with the puck looked a cut above the rest of the Leafs defencemen during two games against Montreal Canadiens prospects. The Leafs’ 2020 third-round pick put up five points in two games. Perhaps for a 22-year-old, that should be expected. Still, Niemela looked primed for the next step in his career after a full season in the AHL.

Come Leafs training camp days later, however, Niemela was paired with other AHL defenders. Meanwhile, recent blue line addition Cade Webber, all 6-foot-7 of him, was deployed alongside NHL defenders. Niemela played just one of the Leafs’ six preseason games and his short-term future as a Toronto Marlie seemed pre-destined.

On Friday, Niemela was cut from the Leafs and assigned to the Marlies. The team’s top defence prospect – at least on paper – barely got a sniff at the NHL roster. Drafted as a cerebral, puck-moving offensive blueliner, Niemela’s game has evolved since coming to North America. But he now feels far off management and the coaching staff’s radar.

After a disappointing fall, is it worth wondering what Niemela’s future with the Leafs will look like? The clock isn’t close to midnight on his chances to become a Leaf, but it is ticking.

“I know I got drafted four years ago. But, I don’t personally feel pressure at all,” Niemela said.

Niemela likely spending another full season in the AHL is less of an indictment of his playing ability and more indicative of an organizational shift that has left him, and multiple other prospects, on the outside looking in.

A new focus on size on the blue line only heightens concerns about Niemela’s future. They are concerns that existed when he was drafted and stood 5-foot-10. He was listed in training camp as 6-feet, 181 pounds. There’s an edge to his game, but he doesn’t always play like a typical heavy defender. But just over four years ago, it felt like there could be opportunities on the Leafs roster for small-ish players. Niemela was reflective of the Kyle Dubas-led drafting. Namely, there was a focus on taking swings and betting on talent.

But things have changed, and Niemela’s future with the Leafs is questionable because of that change. Treliving’s focus on size on the blue line may limit the chance for Niemela to show off any upside. He is now in the final season of his entry-level deal.

Recent high Leafs draft picks, including Fraser Minten and Ben Danford might not have high-end upside. But they do have pro-ready traits and size.
In Treliving’s first proper draft at the helm of the Leafs this summer, most of their seven picks were in the 6-foot-2 and above range.
On Niemela. We have a new coach who wants to win now..He went vet and Tre signed Lily and must dump him. He might as well play a lot because he is a number 7 dman right now and Toronto may need him for call up before TD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad