Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Rest in peace Rodion Amirov, who passed away one year ago today. You will always be a Maple Leaf
Crazy that it's already been a year, breaks my heart every time I think about it.... so much potential, and I'm not even talking about hockey, he had a whole life ahead of him to do anything he wanted and it was taken away, just so unfair...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Expectations for Nicolas Mattinen?

AHL in my opinion.

Too many people blocking him and not getting younger.

I have seen some videos though and his skillset looks half decent, so maybe there is an outside chance he is a late bloomer like Holl and can carve out a few good years as a bottom-pairing D with an offensive upside.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Expectations for Nicolas Mattinen?

He’s got size, can skate. He’s a RD.

I think it will come down to his ability to adapt to the North American game and speed.

I’d have no expectations, and be surprised if he becomes something. He’s a lottery ticket.

His old coach thinks a lot of him though. I posted an article from his coach a few pages back. Probably worth reading. It gave me more hope he might turn into something.

horner

May 22, 2007
He’s got size, can skate. He’s a RD.

I think it will come down to his ability to adapt to the North American game and speed.

I’d have no expectations, and be surprised if he becomes something. He’s a lottery ticket.

His old coach thinks a lot of him though. I posted an article from his coach a few pages back. Probably worth reading. It gave me more hope he might turn into something.
Didn't he play in the OHL.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
So the Leafs don't suck at drafting Dmen, they suck at scouting and developing them...big difference. 😆
Not really they had 6 play in the NHL out of the 30ish drafted in that time frame. Probably going to be 2-3 more that do find there way to the NHL. That is the average hit rate for any team. Top 4 Defenceman are the hardest player to draft (goalies don't count they are voodoo) as an 18 year old and develop. Take a look at the top 10 players elected in every draft from 2012 to now and see the percentage of them that bust. Also take a look at how many taken between 25 to 50 end up turning into top 4 or even top pair Dmen. You just have to get a bit lucky sometimes and trust your process will develop talent regardless of position.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Easton Cowan can PK.

""

Sure, but it's a different beast in the NHL.

I'm rooting for him though in training camp.

Many will say... no way... too young... but the Leafs need to infuse some youth into the lineup still.

I'm a big believer that every season if possible and the talent is there... you hope you've drafted well enough for a kid or 2 every year.

Probably wishful thinking but that's the ideal situation.

horner

May 22, 2007
Not really they had 6 play in the NHL out of the 30ish drafted in that time frame. Probably going to be 2-3 more that do find there way to the NHL. That is the average hit rate for any team. Top 4 Defenceman are the hardest player to draft (goalies don't count they are voodoo) as an 18 year old and develop. Take a look at the top 10 players elected in every draft from 2012 to now and see the percentage of them that bust. Also take a look at how many taken between 25 to 50 end up turning into top 4 or even top pair Dmen. You just have to get a bit lucky sometimes and trust your process will develop talent regardless of position.
Boston always find young dman top 4
Carlo Lohrie both big dman

The Rangers as well
Miller and Schneider both big dman

Dubas was always going for offensive small dman
We had a chance to draft Schneider dubas choose a winger

In the future treliving won't make the same mistake

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The Rangers as well

Just want to point out Schneider sucks.

Wasn't a mistake.

All the D that made the NHL that Treliving drafted are smaller than the players you listed.

Fox is his best pick on D and he is much smaller.

Not sure you know what you are talking about here.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The Rangers as well

Imagine thinking we should have picked a third pairing D man over a 50-60 point winger.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

The Rangers as well

Dubas drafted Amirov, a centre ahead of Schneider.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

The Rangers as well

Bad example. Lamenting over not picking Schneider when Amirov does from a sudden cancer isn’t a strong argument.

horner

May 22, 2007

Wasn't a mistake.

All the D that made the NHL that Treliving drafted are smaller than the players you listed.

Guhle was available to it dint have to be Schneider

Bad example. Lamenting over not picking Schneider when Amirov does from a sudden cancer isn’t a strong argument.
Iam saying at the time of the draft.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Guhle was available to it dint have to be Schneider

For all we know the best player was selected, it is an unfortunate situation.

You complained about this...

Treliving doesn't draft big D as you said... the biggest D that made the NHL that he drafted is Valimaki (6'2 205).

His best D he drafted is 5'11 185.

And Schneider still sucks.

In UFA and trading, he targets size it seems, even if it is attached to a useless player, but in the draft, like every team, it appears he takes BPA.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He played LW
yeah, I see that now. I know he was discussed as a C. Either way, it's a poor argument to make.

If Amirov had turned out it would have given us another high end asset and that is what the draft is about. Maybe we don't have to sign both of Domi and Bertuzzi last year and sign a D.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

Wasn't a mistake.

Honest question, if Schneider sucks, why has he been an everyday player since he was 20 and graduated full time to the NHL. 81GP 2 years ago, 82 GP last year, every playoff game in his 3 seasons in the NHL. All while playing on one of the best teams in the league?

Why don't the President's Trophy winning Rangers try to upgrade on a bad defenseman for a deep playoff run?

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

The Rangers as well

Both those teams also draft what you would call small dman. They draft just like the Leafs do. The best player available with that pick. Drafting by size is a very bad way to decide on your picks. Just ask Brian Burke.
Even if the Leafs drafted only defenseman over 6'4" and lets say they got 4 to hit it doesn't mean they would be a better team now. In fact it would mean they would be much worse. Young bluelines usually are very bad blue lines.
Look at the cup winners over the last 10 years. They have 1 to 3 drafted Dmen in their top 6 and then they added smartly via a trade or free agency. IF you want to blame Dubas for anything it was not signing Pietrangelo when he was a free agent and not signing Tanev when he signed Brodie. The Muzzin trade was exactly the type of trade the team needed it just unfortantely ended badly with his injury.

Reactions: aingefan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Honest question, if Schneider sucks, why has he been an everyday player since he was 20 and graduated full time to the NHL. 81GP 2 years ago, 82 GP last year, every playoff game in his 3 seasons in the NHL. All while playing on one of the best teams in the league?

This is like asking how Florida was able to win with Kulikov.

Play driving stats are bad.

His team gets scored on more than they score when he is on the ice.

He adds nothing offensively.

He is just not good.

I can expand on this more if you want, but he was rushed to the NHL because he was large and has struggled since.

Why don't the President's Trophy winning Rangers try to upgrade on a bad defenseman for a deep playoff run?

It costs assets or cap space.

They probably should, but a #6 D is not the biggest concern I am sure.

Are you trying to tell me every team that does well has a perfect roster?

Reactions: Insidefi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad