Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Good signing. He can be an injury fill-in in a top 6 role at the NHL level if required.

His numbers are very Nick Robertson like as are his weaknesses. not the greatest skaters. However both of them can rip a puck.
It's an AHL contract though, he can't just be called up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am surprised someone did not give him a one year NHL deal.

Sprong couldn't even get above 1M and he's much better. Nylander just isn't very good and has struggled through his career with being consistent, even at the AHL level. I don't know why people thought he'd be in demand.

No risk in this and the Marlies needed more offensive ability. He'll replace Bellows decently enough.

Reactions: nuck

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Sprong couldn't even get above 1M and he's much better. Nylander just isn't very good and has struggled through his career, even at the AHL level. I don't know why people thought he'd be in demand.

No risk in this and the Marlies needed more offensive ability.
Struggled isn’t the right word. More like failed to keep up with the pace of play on a consistent basis because of work ethic issues.

He has the skill level of a top 6 NHL forward.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Struggled isn’t the right word. More like failed to keep up with the pace of play on a consistent basis because of work ethic issues.

He has the skill level of a top 6 NHL forward.

He's a very average top 6 AHL forward...

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
11 g in 25 g is a 35 goal pace with Colombus. He needs to prove he can replace Jarnkrok.We needs his cap and an upgrade for playoffs. It's now or never.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Alex Nylander was generally been on some weak NHL teams, Pittsburgh was probably the best team he's been on but didn't work out.

Definitely at the point in his career he will need to "get it". I would try him with William and I guess JT for 1-2 games in pre-season and see if there is anything there. He's bigger than Robertson which is a nice plus.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I’m interested to see if being around William keeps him super engaged and motivated, and if that translates into him taking some sort of next step. Otherwise, based on stats it hardly looks like he’s outgrown the AHL or doesn’t have anything left to prove down there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
His goal scoring late last season suggests otherwise. The issue with Nylander isn’t talent. It’s his work ethic. If he applies himself every shift then he could easily crack the leafs third line. At a minimum he’s a good injury replacement or Robertson replacement.
This average AHL forward did score 11 NHL goals in his last 21 games with Columbus last season.
Maybe some new motivation and inspiration playing with his brothers team?

He was shooting over 25% in that hot span. He cooled off considerably in the last 10 or so games of the season.

I don't want to keep dumping on A. Nylander but I just don't see how this is more than just an AHL signing, even if he earns a NHL contract in camp. Thinking it'll be more is extremely optimistic. He's really not that good and the AHL contract supports that. Maybe he figured it out and what he needs is to move to Toronto... I don't know. The Marlies needed a Bellows replacement, so at the very least they got that. If he becomes more than that, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see it coming and I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: conFABulator

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think this can be looked at anything more than the obvious. CBJ wouldn't even throw league minimum at him and they know his game the best right now. He is Bellows 2.0 and will need to show more than that to get a whiff of the show. Good luck to him!

Reactions: Lauro and aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think this can be looked at anything more than the obvious. CBJ wouldn't even throw league minimum at him and they know his game the best right now. He is Bellows 2.0 and will need to show more than that to get a whiff of the show. Good luck to him!

CBJ has no room, they have an absolute ton of guys at every position besides goaltending.

I guess they could have tried to sneak him through waivers.

Sprong didn't even get 1M though, tough market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad