Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Have you also considered that Hirvonen just isn't very good? He's small, slow, and doesn't put up points. His Finnish league stats are pretty bad but let's pretend like he's a decent prospect, he's not.

2020 draft is pretty sad, except for maybe Niemela and Tverberg if we are lucky. I believe every other team has players from the 2020 draft that have made the NHL, Toronto has 0 games played from their class.

Yes. Of course some of those players have played 1 to 3 games on various teams.

Arizona - 2 games
Dallas - 1 game
Islanders - 1 game
Pittsburgh - 0 games
Tampa - 5 games
Toronto - 0 games
Vancouver - 0 games

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Hirvonen played 2 games for the Marlies and then almost lost an eye lol, I would imagine that might have something to do with the production in the other 35 games. Something about only looking at the stat sheet right?
Concussion in the rookie camp and lost his father last summer also. It must of been a really rough year for the poor kid. He’s got hockey IQ and that never quite drive that can’t be taught. Also seems to have a bit of a “shift distruber” in hiim, which I like. I haven’t watched him play a lot, probably about 10 games this year but I think he’s got a chance to make it. He’s maybe a little small for his style of play but only time will tell

Reactions: LeafSteel

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
When a Rangers 1st rounder passed they got a first as compensation. Proof the NHL is Cdn team biased. It's garbage.
No. The Rangers got a 2nd as compensation for not signing their 1st rounder (because he died), as allowed for in the CBA. It doesnt happend a lot but other teams have been so compensated for players they didnt want to/ couldnt sign.

A 2nd round pick is a small price to pay for whatever help and comfort the team was able to give to his family, and the experiences he was able to have.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
When a Rangers 1st rounder passed they got a first as compensation. Proof the NHL is Cdn team biased. It's garbage.

No. The Rangers got a 2nd as compensation for not signing their 1st rounder (because he died), as allowed for in the CBA. It doesnt happend a lot but other teams have been so compensated for players they didnt want to/ couldnt sign.

A 2nd round pick is a small price to pay for whatever help and comfort the team was able to give to his family, and the experiences he was able to have.

That's pretty much it, Toronto signed Amirov and NYR didn't sign Cherapanov.

Reactions: ULF_55 and uncleben

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

I'm not be labouring that at all. We have no picks. I will take a 2nd rounder as he would be about to help us.

It's proof you don't know the rules, nothing more.
Do I look like a lawyer to you?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It will be nice to have Niemela and Cade Webber as options on the farm.

Is Webber going to be anything more than a 6th D with the Marlies?

I don't get the hype around him, it seems like best case scenario, he is someone you'd target with a 5th round pick at the deadline to keep as a #7 on a cup run.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is Webber going to be anything more than a 6th D with the Marlies?

I don't get the hype around him, it seems like best case scenario, he is someone you'd target with a 5th round pick at the deadline to keep as a #7 on a cup run.
I don't really think there is much hype around him. He's a big guy, who has a chance of becoming a #6/7 at the NHL level. But the cost... a 6th round in 2026 is no big deal. If he turns into something, great, if not.. .that's fine too. A 2026 6th, if we managed to get lucky and hit, wouldn't be a player until around 2030 anyway... it's just accelerating that chance.

But this is the "hype" around him.

“You are talking about a 6-foot-7 defenceman who has good mobility, and his only focus is on defending,” said former NHLer Colby Cohen, who won a national title with BU back in 2009 and finished as the NCAA tournament MVP.
“He takes pride in blocking shots, ending plays in his own zone, and moving the puck quickly to his partner or his forwards. He’s been well coached at BU and Cade has really taken another step this season on his reads defending the rush. BU leans heavily on him when they are killing penalties and protecting the lead.”

Webber is a pure defensive defenceman, but he’s among the best. The fourth-year college defender was named Best Defensive Defenceman in Hockey East on Thursday, his first personal hardware during his college tenure. He was able to win the Hockey East title with BU a year ago, playing a pure shutdown role for a team led defensively by Lane Hutson and Domenick Fensore.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't really think there is much hype around him. He's a big guy, who has a chance of becoming a #6/7 at the NHL level. But the cost... a 6th round in 2026 is no big deal. If he turns into something, great, if not.. .that's fine too. A 2026 6th, if we managed to get lucky and hit, wouldn't be a player until around 2030 anyway... it's just accelerating that chance.

But this is the "hype" around him.

“You are talking about a 6-foot-7 defenceman who has good mobility, and his only focus is on defending,” said former NHLer Colby Cohen, who won a national title with BU back in 2009 and finished as the NCAA tournament MVP.
“He takes pride in blocking shots, ending plays in his own zone, and moving the puck quickly to his partner or his forwards. He’s been well coached at BU and Cade has really taken another step this season on his reads defending the rush. BU leans heavily on him when they are killing penalties and protecting the lead.”

Webber is a pure defensive defenceman, but he’s among the best. The fourth-year college defender was named Best Defensive Defenceman in Hockey East on Thursday, his first personal hardware during his college tenure. He was able to win the Hockey East title with BU a year ago, playing a pure shutdown role for a team led defensively by Lane Hutson and Domenick Fensore.

A large defender with limited puck skill and spending a lot of time in his end is what I am reading.

Not sure he has a spot on the team soon and is already 23/24 if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, a 6th on him is not an issue, have just seen some people excited about him and don't understand the hype.

Best case, he seems like a limited D man who will top out as a bottom-pairing D.

I hope he becomes more, just seems unlikely he will learn how to play with the puck so late into his development.

Hopefully, I am wrong, I am just a lot more excited about a few of our other D prospects with much higher ceilings.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
A large defender with limited puck skill and spending a lot of time in his end is what I am reading.

Not sure he has a spot on the team soon and is already 23/24 if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, a 6th on him is not an issue, have just seen some people excited about him and don't understand the hype.

Best case, he seems like a limited D man who will top out as a bottom-pairing D.

I hope he becomes more, just seems unlikely he will learn how to play with the puck so late into his development.

Hopefully, I am wrong, I am just a lot more excited about a few of our other D prospects with much higher ceilings.
What he will be is an injury replacement if we need a PK, shot blocking, defensively responsible D.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What he will be is an injury replacement if we need a PK, shot blocking, defensively responsible D.

I'd think he is #4/5 to be called up.

Timmins (likely already the #7), Rifai, Niemela, Villeneuve, and Kokkenen all likely get a look ahead of him (or should at least).

There are some defensively responsible D there, but most of them are likely better with the puck, which is something we will need as well.

Like I said, hopefully, he is better than what I've seen (only clips), but he just looks big and nothing else.

He hasn't even looked good defensively in the clips I've seen, so likely I need to see more of him.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad