Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I suppose I am lower on Minten than most. I really don’t see anything special about his game that will translate to anything more than a 4th line defensive C. I obviously hope I am wrong.
IMO he's a pretty safe bet to become a Scott Laughton type, with maybe potential to be like a Pavel Zacha level player (fairly similar junior production). Certainly not a bad guy to have on the roster

Reactions: hockeynorth

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Thanks for that. I am always intrigued listening to young players during an interview, especially something that is more than just a 2 or 3 question standard post game thing, and these 14 minutes gives us that. Two things stand out for me: while thoughtful and articulate (I wonder how long that will take to be beaten out of him ;) ) he presents as a person who is very self-aware of his strengths and shortcomings. He understands what he has to work on to get to the next level, and to succeed there. I'd suggest that indicates a player who will continue to improve, not just in the short term, but over the course of a career. He's a mature young man. During the video plays they were reviewing, at the 9:40 mark there was a subtle moment that I appreciated. During a breakout, initiated by Minten who was supporting his D in the corner, the puck moves up the opposite side boards for a potential zone exit. Minten, skating towards his blueline (center zone) from his earlier corner position, slows down to determine whether the puck exits the zone or is fumbled and hammered back into a dangerous position. He is aware of the moment and is not cheating for offense. When the puck is freed up ice, that's when he puts his head down to join the offensive foray, and contributes to the eventual goal scored on the play.

Talent takes you a long way in this game, and while I wouldn't suggest that Minten has a huge amount of talent, he does present - to me - as a prospect who will combine the talents he has and will continue to develop, with a mature, intelligent grasp of how to play a 'winning' game of hockey. Given his age, size, skills and experience, I hope to see Minten intro'd as our 3C, who will struggle in the first third of the season, but begin to adapt and succeed as the season progresses.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Thanks for that. I am always intrigued listening to young players during an interview, especially something that is more than just a 2 or 3 question standard post game thing, and these 14 minutes gives us that. Two things stand out for me: while thoughtful and articulate (I wonder how long that will take to be beaten out of him ;) ) he presents as a person who is very self-aware of his strengths and shortcomings. He understands what he has to work on to get to the next level, and to succeed there. I'd suggest that indicates a player who will continue to improve, not just in the short term, but over the course of a career. He's a mature young man. During the video plays they were reviewing, at the 9:40 mark there was a subtle moment that I appreciated. During a breakout, initiated by Minten who was supporting his D in the corner, the puck moves up the opposite side boards for a potential zone exit. Minten, skating towards his blueline (center zone) from his earlier corner position, slows down to determine whether the puck exits the zone or is fumbled and hammered back into a dangerous position. He is aware of the moment and is not cheating for offense. When the puck is freed up ice, that's when he puts his head down to join the offensive foray, and contributes to the eventual goal scored on the play.

Talent takes you a long way in this game, and while I wouldn't suggest that Minten has a huge amount of talent, he does present - to me - as a prospect who will combine the talents he has and will continue to develop, with a mature, intelligent grasp of how to play a 'winning' game of hockey. Given his age, size, skills and experience, I hope to see Minten intro'd as our 3C, who will struggle in the first third of the season, but begin to adapt and succeed as the season progresses.
Second round picks .u take anything above a 4th line ,first call up a bonus

Reactions: Fogelhund

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Question.
Why does everyone say Cowan is rw?

He is a left shot and appears to play LW with barkey on rw according to lines posted by knights twitter.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Does anyone know if Nikita Grebyonkin aka Nikita Grebenkin has an individual prospect info thread similar to Easton Cowan?

Gotta love Grebyonkin's intensity shown and willingness to fight for teammates in the video below (#71 in blue)

I truly feel like the Leafs prospect pool (especially top 3~ Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin imho) is underrated league wide and dare I say it even by Leafs nation 😳 lol

I believe all 3 of these guys will be top 6 nhl forwards or better in the not so distant future

I don't. Cowan great. Minten good 3C. Grebyonkin..too soon. I think as always we make them stars before we should.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I don't. Cowan great. Minten good 3C. Grebyonkin..too soon. I think as always we make them stars before we should.
Grebyonkin just made captain of Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the KHL at 20 years old (which is crazy). He was second in scoring on the team this season... the guy's a beast too... watch some khl playoffs and you'll see that it's just as rough, if not rougher then nhl playoffs, he also has better numbers (age 20 KHL year) than a few guys who are stars now in the nhl... but obviously only time will tell...

By the way there's no WE brotha'... and I'm not trying to make someone a star or overhype but offer my educated opinion and discuss... nothing more

By the way, do you watch any KHL or OHL hockey if I may ask?..

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They are all protostars ...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Realistically we don’t need 8 high end prospects. On F

Xxxxxxx. Matthews. Marner.
Cowan. Xxxxxxx. Nylander
Knies. Minten. Greb
Holmberg. Dewar. Robertson

Isn’t terrible.not all will hit. I personally hope that knies can blossom into a 30/30 pwf.

But hopefully at least one of Cowan/greb/knies can be a 2nd liner.

Reactions: supermann_98

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Realistically we don’t need 8 high end prospects. On F

Xxxxxxx. Matthews. Marner.
Cowan. Xxxxxxx. Nylander
Knies. Minten. Greb
Holmberg. Dewar. Robertson

Isn’t terrible.not all will hit. I personally hope that knies can blossom into a 30/30 pwf.

But hopefully at least one of Cowan/greb/knies can be a 2nd liner.
I'm not sure that team would make the playoffs to be honest.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
He was honorary captain for the last game of the season, hes not the actual captain of Metallurg.
Fair point. I don't believe it tarnishing my view of him but thanks for letting me know

Do the reason for the one game honour?
I heard there was about 8 regulars out for the game but didn't hear why??

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Still on honor I'd say
The honorary captaincy? I dont see any evidence to support that claim.
Fair point. I don't believe it tarnishing my view of him but thanks for letting me know

Do the reason for the one game honour?
I heard there was about 8 regulars out for the game but didn't hear why??
I only think they were just resting the regular guys for the last game of the season but have no idea otherwise.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Greb would be in the mix for playing time on the top three lines if he comes over, for sure.
Another competitor for complementary roles on an ELC is nothing but helpful.
McMann, Knies, Grebs gives you complimentary players for the first three lines. You can then basically spread the more offensively talented players across the three lines.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Grebyonkin just made captain of Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the KHL at 20 years old (which is crazy). He was second in scoring on the team this season... the guy's a beast too... watch some khl playoffs and you'll see that it's just as rough, if not rougher then nhl playoffs, he also has better numbers (age 20 KHL year) than a few guys who are stars now in the nhl... but obviously only time will tell...

By the way there's no WE brotha'... and I'm not trying to make someone a star or overhype but offer my educated opinion and discuss... nothing more

By the way, do you watch any KHL or OHL hockey if I may ask?..
What I dont believe in is telling guys they are stars before they are. I didnt say he wouldnt play. I said they arent all top 6 players. Cowan yes, for sure and likely soon. Minten ? No, tops out as great 3 C(and we may have over rated him). Grebs ? Needs to play in AHL for a bit. The Leafs are a winger factory, whose job do you see him stealing?

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is Minten playing as bad as his production?

His season in the WHL this year would cost him an ELC if we had not signed him already.

Any one watch WHL hockey here? What is holding his production back. Is he being misused? Poor team quality? Lacks high end offensive talent?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

His season in the WHL this year would cost him an ELC if we had not signed him already.

Any one watch WHL hockey here? What is holding his production back. Is he being misused? Poor team quality? Lacks high end offensive talent?

I did find it odd that he hasn't exactly lit it up.

Unless he's been playing hurt, the production is a bit of a let down. I'd have been more open to moving him if we didn't have basically zero centres.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
What I dont believe in is telling guys they are stars before they are. I didnt say he wouldnt play. I said they arent all top 6 players. Cowan yes, for sure and likely soon. Minten ? No, tops out as great 3 C(and we may have over rated him). Grebs ? Needs to play in AHL for a bit. The Leafs are a winger factory, whose job do you see him stealing?
Minten may top out as a great 3C but not the kind you can find for cheap in free agency. He’ll be a 3C that you can match up against the other team’s top players and when one of our top centers get injured you are comfortable sliding him up the line up. That is someone I wish we had when Tavares went down in the Habs series.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON

Is it possible that when he was sent back to the OHL he was told to focus on his defensive game so that he can step into 3C next season for the Leafs? That's my copium. I don't follow prospects outside of reading this thread so no idea if he has at least excelled at being a shutdown player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad