Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marlies are the ahl version of the Vegas nights... on paper they are good but really not as above their competition as they play. Kudos to Keefe, he really has inspired his team.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Very entertaining....errors everywhere and it added up to a dandy game one. Marlies can play better - Texas has a decent PP.

Beauty quick shot from Moore to win it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Goat with the puck in the Ozone is as useful as a **** flavoured lollipop.
8 points in 14 playoff games is nothing to look down on.
Will the goat ever be an offensive machine? I doubt it but give him credit for a good playoff run

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I k
8 points in 14 playoff games is nothing to look down on.
Will the goat ever be an offensive machine? I doubt it but give him credit for a good playoff run
I know, but that lack of foot speed. So frustrating.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I k

He still covers a lot of ice. And I think the injury set him back skating wise but maybe he will step it up again next season.
Sadly I don't think he will be an NHL player for the leafs but maybe somewhere else?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Marlies are the ahl version of the Vegas nights... on paper they are good but really not as above their competition as they play. Kudos to Keefe, he really has inspired his team.
Think this is totally wrong. Our 3rd pair was Dermott-Liljegren. The team is stacked. Sure Keefe deserves a lot of credit but don't need to take away credit from the roster built

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He still covers a lot of ice. And I think the injury set him back skating wise but maybe he will step it up again next season.
Sadly I don't think he will be an NHL player for the leafs but maybe somewhere else?

NHL teams have iced worse players for smaller roles. Remember the days when Steckels role was literally to take a draw and get off the ice ASAP. Gauthier could fill that somewhere, and can probably do a bit of cycling as well to tire out the opposition on a 4th line. Never want to find him trying to cover a pinching defensemen though...

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I k

I grew a little frustrated with Gautier as well this year as I've always been a big fan and he seemed to have taken a step back this year. Then I read about the extent of his injury and the tough recovery he endured - you cannot train or develop that. He has the character to make the NHL.

Pre-injury, he played a few call-up games and I remember noticing that he did not look out of place and that his foot speed was fine. He played better than my expectations. If it wasn;t for his serious injury, he likely would've had a call-up or two this year.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
NHL teams have iced worse players for smaller roles. Remember the days when Steckels role was literally to take a draw and get off the ice ASAP. Gauthier could fill that somewhere, and can probably do a bit of cycling as well to tire out the opposition on a 4th line. Never want to find him trying to cover a pinching defensemen though...
He certainly has some useful tools and I'm still willing to see how his skating is next year before I would want to cut ties with him, but he is quickly being buried in our depth chart

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Think this is totally wrong. Our 3rd pair was Dermott-Liljegren. The team is stacked. Sure Keefe deserves a lot of credit but don't need to take away credit from the roster built

Keefe doesn’t deserve any credit for the development of the young players on his roster?

Both Dermott and Liljegren have been developed by Keefe at the pro level. They aren’t top 15 draft picks in their respective classes, and Liljegren I’m pretty sure was the youngest player in the ahl this season. He deserves some credit for their development, and Dermott has given credit to Keefe.

I’m not taking away credit the roster.. the team is 66-18 overall this season and that includes the loss of Kapanen, johnsson and Dermott for a big chunk. With Kapanen not returning for postseason.

Sure, it’s a good team, but even good teams don’t have stats like the Marlies over the course of a full season. This is a team that has been dialed in all year, and has never let up, barely wavered, even when excuses could have been used.

For this reason Keefe deserves credit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He was waiting for a bad game from Sparks to support his agenda.

No agenda I'm just not sold on a guy that was drafted 7 years ago, is almost 25 and is STILL in the AHL, if it was ANYBODY else you and everybody else else would be calling them a minor leaguer and rightfully so.

But it's a goalie so you make excuses for for him not being in the NHL 7 years after he was drafted.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No agenda I'm just not sold on a guy that was drafted 7 years ago, is almost 25 and is STILL in the AHL, if it was ANYBODY else you and everybody else else would be calling them a minor leaguer and rightfully so.

But it's a goalie so you make excuses for for him not being in the NHL 7 years after he was drafted.

It’s odd that you bring up his position because he’s actually not very old or off track for a goalie to transition into the NHL.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It’s odd that you bring up his position because he’s actually not very old or off track for a goalie to transition into the NHL.
It's weird cause our very own #1 didn't crack the NHL till he was 24.

Andersen played 28 games at 24. Rinne played 52 games at 26. Jones played 19 games at 24. Lundqvist played 53 games at 24.

I do think next year is Sparks year to fully transition into the NHL though. He's done a huge amount of AHL time and has put up very good numbers. He needs to try and translate that over.

Reactions: LeafChief and mavis

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's weird cause our very own #1 didn't crack the NHL till he was 24.

Andersen played 28 games at 24. Rinne played 52 games at 26. Jones played 19 games at 24. Lundqvist played 53 games at 24.

I do think next year is Sparks year to fully transition into the NHL though. He's done a huge amount of AHL time and has put up very good numbers. He needs to try and translate that over.

I think trying a 70/30 thing with Sparks would be good. I’m not in the “Andersen needs rest” camp, but it’s important we find a way to try out goaltenders in the NHL that doesn’t involve them being cold for stretches of 15 games.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The thing with Sparks is that not a lot of us can look past his performance a couple years ago in our tank year.
He struggled to say the least and Babcock kept throwing him out there down the stretch and safe to say that was to ensure we finished dead last.

He’s a big guy, takes up a lot of the net, but his flopping fish out of water technique is not very confidence inspiring. No, not all good goalies need to be as technically sound as Belfour or Price, but not every goalie with bad technique should be considered the next Hasak either.
Soon as the other team enters the zone or goes behind the net he’s on one or both knees. It’s makes my stomach turn to be honest and I find myself yelling at the tv, “stand up ffs!”

Does he deserve another shot to be a back on the Leafs? I don’t even like him or trust him but like Jay-Z says, “men lie, women lie ... numbers don’t”. So, yes I wouldn’t mind him winning the backup spot, but he has to earn it with his performance in camp and shouldn’t be gifted ANYthing due to his performance on the Marlies.
I could easily see Pickard doing the exact same with this team in front of him.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I admit I am an old geezer, but I can remember when the Leafs obtained a long time, long in the tooth minor league goalie named Johnnie Bower.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
better start than yesterday for the marlies; except the breakaway given up; other than that marlies playing pretty well so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad