Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He’s very young, high ceiling. However the ELC was premature.

I don’t think we need any sort of rental unless it’s a stupid low price. I also think having skilled guys like SDA in the system are important.

I mean, in October people were calling Bracco a Nothing prospect. Now people are realizing his skill and potential. I say it a ton, but the kid has top 6 potential. He’s got elite vision and playmaking skills. I had him ranked 15th in his draft year.

Now, that’s not to say SDA will turn out the same way, but writing him off right now is quiet premature.
Compare him to Bracco at the same age. Bracco was a high-end OHL player. Bracco can't crack the first line on Peterborough, and just look at how their board talks about him. I'm still not sold on Bracco being a player either.

I'd consider SDA a low price. He wasn't worth the 3rd when we took him, and he isn't worth one today.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I see Liljegren & Sandin were on for all 3 goals against today. Anyone get a chance to watch see how Timmy was his first game back?

Can't ever seem to find highlights on Marlies games when I miss them.

Just not sure how that is possible as one of the goals was a short-handed goal and there is no way Liljigren and Sandin would have been on the ice at the same time

edit: just watched the goals and yup they were on the ice for all 3

First goal against - The guy got in front of Liljigren and tipped it into the net on the short-handed goal. Why Sandin and Liljigren were out there I have no idea

Second goal against - Off the faceoff (Liljigren was on the boards and 100% not his fault) the puck was cleanly won and the forward got behind Sandin and tipped it in

Third goal against - 100% Hutichson fault as it was a 2v2 and the guy just threw the puck on net and it snuck through the pads, it might have been tipped

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Compare him to Bracco at the same age. Bracco was a high-end OHL player. Bracco can't crack the first line on Peterborough, and just look at how their board talks about him. I'm still not sold on Bracco being a player either.

I'd consider SDA a low price. He wasn't worth the 3rd when we took him, and he isn't worth one today.

Frankly, if SDA gets out of Peterborough, it’ll only help him.

There’s concerns with SDA, don’t get me wrong. Some red flags, and I’m not against using him in a trade either.

However, writing him off at 18 years and 4 months old is far too harsh.

I’m eager to see how he does next season, possibly with a change of scenery.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Frankly, if SDA gets out of Peterborough, it’ll only help him.

There’s concerns with SDA, don’t get me wrong. Some red flags, and I’m not against using him in a trade either.

However, writing him off at 18 years and 4 months old is far too harsh.

I’m eager to see how he does next season, possibly with a change of scenery.
The thing is quality prospects perform regardless of where they are in the OHL. Out of Peterborough he could easily get buried on the 3rd line on an actual contender. I mean, players can always surprise, but he plays, produces, and looks like a late round flyer.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I feel like age is a big thing for smaller skilled players. If you want to start comparing SDA and Bracco, Bracco was already 18 when he came to play for the Rangers and turned 19 during that season. Bracco was almost 8 months into his age 18 year when his first OHL season started

If you want to start comparing them directly at the same age, you'll have to start in May 2020 as SDA didnt turn 18 until September 15th

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I feel like age is a big thing for smaller skilled players. If you want to start comparing SDA and Bracco, Bracco was already 18 when he came to play for the Rangers and turned 19 during that season. Almost 8 months between them when they started.

If you want to start comparing them directly at the same age, you'll have to start in May 2020.
Bracco at 17 then was breaking records with the USNTDP if you think the difference in the OHL matters. SDA's numbers for an 18-year-old in the OHL are terrible for a drafted forward who doesn't provide anything outside of his offensive game. I would also add, I think it's completely fair to compare players born 6 months apart who are in the same age group. If SDA was born a day later, no one would be talking about him for this draft. Even if I age adjust there numbers for a 6 months gap, Bracco's would absolutely blow his out of the water. It wouldn't even be close.

I also think for smaller players it actually matters less. Bigger guys have issues (especially lanky ones) because they lack coordination and core body strength. Most future smaller future NHLers in the OHL tend to be pretty good at a young age, and they get overlooked due to that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm giving SDA a bit of rope this year because he was the youngest player in last year's draft.

But I fully expect him to step it up next year wherever he plays. If he can't I'll be disappointed.

Reactions: stickty111

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With Gagner likely gone, I wonder if we see a D for F trade by Gilman in the next few days, they're thin at F

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With Gagner likely gone, I wonder if we see a D for F trade by Gilman in the next few days, they're thin at F

I already said it would be a possibility guys like Subban and McAdam would be used even before Gagner was dealt. Now I would say it is a foregone conclusion that one or both of them will get swapped to get an AHL forward.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Bracco at 17 then was breaking records with the USNTDP if you think the difference in the OHL matters. SDA's numbers for an 18-year-old in the OHL are terrible for a drafted forward who doesn't provide anything outside of his offensive game. I would also add, I think it's completely fair to compare players born 6 months apart who are in the same age group. If SDA was born a day later, no one would be talking about him for this draft. Even if I age adjust there numbers for a 6 months gap, Bracco's would absolutely blow his out of the water. It wouldn't even be close.

I also think for smaller players it actually matters less. Bigger guys have issues (especially lanky ones) because they lack coordination and core body strength. Most future smaller future NHLers in the OHL tend to be pretty good at a young age, and they get overlooked due to that.
How would you rated sda based on his tools only?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Has anyone been following Woll in-depth? I know BC isn't very good but his save% has dipped .13 in the last 2 months. Wondering if its more his play or his team leaving him out to dry.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Has anyone been following Woll in-depth? I know BC isn't very good but his save% has dipped .13 in the last 2 months. Wondering if its more his play or his team leaving him out to dry.

I watched him play in the Beanpot final. If that is any indication, he is by far their best player, and really the only reason why they get anywhere in the first place. BC is a bottom-feeder team without him.

Only other guy even worth mentioning on that team is David Cotton (CAR 6th round pick in 2015) and Oliver Wahlstrom of course. Both are pretty good, but even Wahlstrom has not looked nearly as good as his original draft position would suggest.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How would you rated sda based on his tools only?
As a 5th rounder or later. Small guys who can't produce, aren't good skaters, constantly lose board battles, and entire value comes from occasionally flashing great hands or pass (while constantly turning the puck over), generally aren't players I would draft.

Reactions: saltming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad