Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I kind of like Morrissey as a comparable for Sandin. Smooth skating, very smart D-man whose calling card is effective defense but who also has enough offense to be a contributor, though not dynamic like a Rielly.

Reactions: Kiwi

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Too bad. Hutchinson with another sub .900 game. He's not been as helpful to the Marlies success as much as the team has just been playing better.

One of the three goalies should be made available to trade to get some help up front, and just hope the other two can impress.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I certainly hope their top picks aren't thrown away for a one and done playoffs series.

They shouldn't be untouchable, but not in a wasted transaction.

So for those watching who does Sandin play like? Style wise.
  1. McCabe
  2. Rielly
  3. Kaberle
  4. Salming
Josi

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I've been saying for the longest time Sandin comparable is Dumba, but thats just me

McCabe: not in anyway shape or form. Sandin has better IQ, better positionally (doesn't need to corkscrew people to win battles)
Rielly: Maybe...ish but not a good comparable
Kaberle: Sandin hits and shoots...nothing like Kaberle
Salming: Going to be honest here, I have no idea who he is

I hope the bolded is a joke.

But in any case, Sandin is Swedish, like Salming, but otherwise should not be compared to a Hall of Fame player who was the best or very nearly the best Dman ever to play for the Leafs. Salming was voted one of the top one hundred players in the history of the game and was the first Swede ever named to the Hall of Fame. There was a reason his nickname was the King.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I kind of like Morrissey as a comparable for Sandin. Smooth skating, very smart D-man whose calling card is effective defense but who also has enough offense to be a contributor, though not dynamic like a Rielly.

Morrissey has an edge that I don't think Sandin will ever develop. I can see it otherwise.

If we're being blindly optimistic, Spurgeon or Stralman.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I hope the bolded is a joke.

But in any case, Sandin is Swedish, like Salming, but otherwise should not be compared to a Hall of Fame player who was the best or very nearly the best Dman ever to play for the Leafs. Salming was voted one of the top one hundred players in the history of the game and was the first Swede ever named to the Hall of Fame. There was a reason his nickname was the King.

For those who don't know much about Borje Salming in his prime, he skated with the effortless grace of Jake Gardiner, blocked shots at a high rate, hit, bravely took punishment on the forecheck like Zaitsev, was like a 4th forward on the offensive rush...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't see Muzzin for Sandin at all. I don't really see some of the most notable traits Muzzin has that prevelent in Sandin. Which is physicality helped by size and strength, great at breaking up cycles along the boards, and a booming shot.

Sandin is an effective puck-mover who transitions the puck extremely well. He needs to work on breaking up the cycle and strength. He's not particularly dynamic for a defender of his size. What you are realistically hoping for is a prime Toby Enstrom. Morrisey is another one that works. Obviously, it'd be ideal if he developed into a legit franchise level defender, but overall we should be pretty happy if we get a solid top 4 guy who is a fringe top pairing guy.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
My closest comparison to Sandin is Andrej Sekera and before people get upset, he's been a really good top 4 guy for a long time and if he didn't have so many injuries he'd actually get recognition for how good he's been. A top 4 guy that is incredibly cool under pressure, not exactly a take charge guy offensively but has lots of skill to contribute 35-45 points and possibly more, moves the puck well, defends really well. If he can find better consistency and health than Sekera than he's an incredibly valuable piece.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've been saying for the longest time Sandin comparable is Dumba, but thats just me

McCabe: not in anyway shape or form. Sandin has better IQ, better positionally (doesn't need to corkscrew people to win battles)
Rielly: Maybe...ish but not a good comparable
Kaberle: Sandin hits and shoots...nothing like Kaberle
Salming: Going to be honest here, I have no idea who he is

It would be interesting to see how Kaberle and especially Salming would fair in today's No Hold League.

I threw Kaberle in there as Kaberle came over to the NHL and was too good in the minors at 20 to stay there.

Would have been nice to see Berard and Kaberle develop together.

Reactions: 7even

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Wouldn't that also be Dermott? I see Sandin and Dermott as similar players.
I doubt either of them will put up 50+ seasons but they will be very steady. Exactly the type of D we need to compliment a high end forward lineup

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Sandin and Dermott are both similar players for sure; the difference is Sandin is looking very impressive in the AHL in his D+1, where Dermott was looking very impressive in the OHL in his D+1. IQ and awareness are both their biggest strengths. Morrissey is a good comparison for sure; Spurgeon also.

Reactions: stickty111

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Wouldn't that also be Dermott? I see Sandin and Dermott as similar players.
I doubt either of them will put up 50+ seasons but they will be very steady. Exactly the type of D we need to compliment a high end forward lineup

Think Demott but a tad bit better shot.
Very similar in that they both use a insane gap control to really disrupt opposing players.

Reactions: Jeypic

horner

May 22, 2007
For those who don't know much about Borje Salming in his prime, he skated with the effortless grace of Jake Gardiner, blocked shots at a high rate, hit, bravely took punishment on the forecheck like Zaitsev, was like a 4th forward on the offensive rush...
Loved Salming
Was everything you said.
He also took alot of physical abuse from the Broad Street Bullies and never backed down.
Courage.
He was the one player that Harold Ballard loved.

Reactions: BM14

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
There’s a story from late in Salming’s career when it probably would have made sense to trade him to a contender for picks or prospects. Harold Ballard was in the office area at the old Gardens and fulminated in a loud voice,”I wouldn’t trade Borje Salming for God!”

From the office of one of the underpaid and beaten down assistant coaches a voice piped up, “What about God and a fourth round draft choice?”

Ballard fired the guy the same day.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There’s a story from late in Salming’s career when it probably would have made sense to trade him to a contender for picks or prospects. Harold Ballard was in the office area at the old Gardens and fulminated in a loud voice,”I wouldn’t trade Borje Salming for God!”

From the office of one of the underpaid and beaten down assistant coaches a voice piped up, “What about God and a fourth round draft choice?”

Ballard fired the guy the same day.
Haha I remember that story!
Ballard was a piece of.... work

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Doubt it he plays LD and we have Rielly lol he may allow us to move Dermott though for a RD which many probably would not consider.

#2 calliber... Its not a bad problem to have a #2 guy on our 2nd pair ;).

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad