55 11 21 32 +19

Undrafted
200' player
60% on face offs
Skilled
Tough
Brings it every shift

Could be a grt 4th line center down the road

Was invited to the Columba's Blue jackets rookie tournament.

Surprised we didn't invite him to the rookie tournament last yr.

Would love to draft him this yr

If he's at best a 4th liner, then he's not worth drafting. AHL contract, sure, but he's not done enough to earn a pick in my books.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think our amateur scouting in North America needs to be a little sharper. Obviously you're not going to get everyone, every draft. They are showing signs of trying to get those hidden gems which I support, but they've picked a lot of guys who haven't exactly taken off post draft.
I'm not a fan of the amount of overage picks in recent years.

I like picks like Sandin or SDA or Dermott, or Bracco, because they're good enough to be drafted that high at 17/18 years old, and it gives you plenty of time to develop them. I just don't get the need to draft some of these guys.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I like picks like Sandin or SDA or Dermott, or Bracco, because they're good enough to be drafted that high at 17/18 years old, and it gives you plenty of time to develop them. I just don't get the need to draft some of these guys.

I think 'overage' picks after the 2nd round is fine, really... But the first couple of rounds should be 1st time draft eligible picks only...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Moore Brooks Bracco
Timashov Engvall Carcone
MacMaster Ferguson Gagne
Greening Jooris Molino

Rosen LoVerde
Sandin Liljegren
Jardine Oleksy

Kaskisuo

Reactions: Pyromaniac

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think 'overage' picks after the 2nd round is fine, really... But the first couple of rounds should be 1st time draft eligible picks only...

The good news is that this year, only Leason is really worth (or even projected) to be drafted in the top 60.

I don't think we need more OA's. We need younger prospects, and the 99' and 00' crop does not have many great prospects. We can try to fill that age gap through UDFA's in the next couple of years, if we need to.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Nor am I. I do think that there are players who pass through the draft during their first year of eligibility at 18 because joined the CHL late, got their coordination late, just started taking their hockey careers seriously, got moved off support roles on their team, etc. But this isn't some sort of statistical pattern that some guy with a spreadsheet can game at will. There has to be actual perceptible growth in the player and the recognition that the odds of hitting on these overagers is rare. You can't as a GM be trigger to start pounding the larger square block of the overager into the circular hole designed to fit younger players who naturally have more room for growth purely by age.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Missing on DeBrincat over a big Russian that may not ever come over is going to hurt. Taking Korshkov in itself was not the issue but taking him so soon was. In my books he was obscure enough that we could have finessed him later on. One of Hunter's many misses with the big men.
I understand the philosophy of going bigger because we had drafted so many previously that were undersized and skilled but you can always trade for truculence right?
This is the statement Dubas made a couple of years ago yet we have yet to see it. I don't put Muzzin in that category cause for a big man he is nether mean or a hitting machine. D. Phaneuf hits more.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Missing on DeBrincat over a big Russian that may not ever come over is going to hurt. Taking Korshkov in itself was not the issue but taking him so soon was. In my books, he was obscure enough that we could have finessed him later on. One of Hunter's many misses with the big men.

I understand the philosophy of going bigger because we had drafted so many previously that were undersized and skilled but you can always trade for truculence right?

This is the statement Dubas made a couple of years ago yet we have yet to see it. I don't put Muzzin in that category cause for a big man he is neither mean or a hitting machine. D. Phaneuf hits more.

Every team has many misses every year with big or small players

Reactions: hullsy47

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Missing on DeBrincat over a big Russian that may not ever come over is going to hurt. Taking Korshkov in itself was not the issue but taking him so soon was. In my books he was obscure enough that we could have finessed him later on. One of Hunter's many misses with the big men.
This is the statement Dubas made a couple of years ago yet we have yet to see it. I don't put Muzzin in that category cause for a big man he is nether mean or a hitting machine. D. Phaneuf hits more.

I don't think it's a dichotomy of drafting Zack Kassian/Nick Ritchie vs Alex DeBrincat, but the Leafs seem to have had problems drafting those near bluechip CHL guys on good programs who usually get selected to the Canadian/US WJC program and have those typical upticks in career potential at 19, or those all situation athletes.

By comparison, Philadelphia seems to have done a great job: Morgan Frost, Travis Konecny, Carter Hart.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
lily sandin pair looks good out there, very composed with the puck. Nice to see two young prospects playing together getting chemistry early in their toronto careers. Number 6 not sure who he is is an absolute plug, that bottom pair is ugly and already cost them 1 goal plus a huge opportunity.

Reactions: hullsy47

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Well the Leafs are not going to change the left side pass/carry, right side dump unless Babcock wants to change it. Liljegren may be an exception, but he's already forcing a good puck carrier in Zaitsev to do it himself, so maybe Liljegren will not be given as much freedom as he is under Keefe.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Bracco with 2 assists, one of which was an assist on Rosen's goal from the point. Those two are establishing themselves as the Marlies MVP's.

Moore and Mueller as well. If Sandin and Liljegren were healthy, then they could be as well.

I wonder what the Leafs decide to do with Bracco next year. He looks good enough to make the NHL in the top 9, but unless Nylander, Kapanen, Marner or Kadri are dealt (or far less likely, someone is put on the LW), there is not really room for him up there. So do they say he tries to improve his defense in the AHL, which has actually looked far better (kind of similar to what you expect out of Nylander), or tries to score more (which he has for the past couple of months), or do they make room for him in the NHL? Because besides defense and maybe scoring over a full season instead of a half season, he has done everything else he could in the NHL. His skating is NHL ready and already too good to ever hold him back in the AHL, and there's nothing stopping him from maybe getting an extra gear up there.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I know it's a crappy time to take anyone off the Marlies. But i'd love to see Bracco get a couple of games whilst he's on a real high. Dangle the carrot a bit more, show him where he can be if he keeps putting in the work.

People rip into the pool of talent the Leafs have. I see a decent amount of players that look like they can be genuine NHL'ers.

Reactions: LeafChief

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Moore and Mueller as well. If Sandin and Liljegren were healthy, then they could be as well.

I wonder what the Leafs decide to do with Bracco next year. He looks good enough to make the NHL in the top 9, but unless Nylander, Kapanen, Marner or Kadri are dealt (or far less likely, someone is put on the LW), there is not really room for him up there. So do they say he tries to improve his defense in the AHL, which has actually looked far better (kind of similar to what you expect out of Nylander), or tries to score more (which he has for the past couple of months), or do they make room for him in the NHL? Because besides defense and maybe scoring over a full season instead of a half season, he has done everything else he could in the NHL. His skating is NHL ready and already too good to ever hold him back in the AHL, and there's nothing stopping him from maybe getting an extra gear up there.

I wouldnt be shocked if Bracco started out on the 4th line. Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen have all spent time there. Kappy started there, as did Johnsson.

But if Bracco could be a sick addition for 800K. I’d like them to try him on the LW with the Marlies here and there to see how it fits.

Bracco - Matthews - Kapanen could be sooo deadly.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I wouldnt be shocked if Bracco started out on the 4th line. Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen have all spent time there. Kappy started there, as did Johnsson.

But if Bracco could be a sick addition for 800K. I’d like them to try him on the LW with the Marlies here and there to see how it fits.

Bracco - Matthews - Kapanen could be sooo deadly.

Moore is likely going to be the 4th line RW. That's what I expect anyways. He can play LW, but until Marchment got hurt and they were desperate for LW's, he was on the RW.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Bracco ends up with 3 assists.

Brooks with a couple of goals.

Rosen with 3 points as well, keeps on rolling.

Engvall with a goal.

Brooks and Engvall are tracking nicely but I'd like to see them have a strong finish to the year, and for them to come into camp next year much improved and poised to do well in the AHL if they're going to have a chance.

Reactions: Lauro

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
For all the talk of how 'poor' our system is, we have some really nice pieces. Liljegren and Sandin as a pair is very intriguing. I hope we see that more this season.

Bracco is on fire. That line with Brooks centreing Moore and Bracco is very interesting.

Engvall looks kind of out of place at centre. I know he is currently there due too necessity but he seems far more effective on the wing.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
What would people think about giving Bracco a few games in Lindholm's spot?

Lindholm has been an offensive black hole but seems to be okay defensively. Would we lose enough defensively in this swap to make it not a good move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad