Mark Wheeler

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Return of the Jetdi

True North Strong
Feb 27, 2015
To be honest, Wheeler doesn't look too good on our top line. Yes, they (#16, 18 and 26) have combined for 130 points but Wheeler doesn't look as comfortable with the puck as he did last year on the second line. Maybe when the Jets have all their 3 best forwards on ice the opposing team just sends out a unit to shut them down, so maybe it might be worth a shot to put Wheeler on the second and promote Frolik (this kid can PLAY! RESIGN HIM CHEVY) back to our top line to spread out offence. Of course Wheeler is injured atm, but maybe a small timeout is what he needs rn.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
To be honest, Wheeler doesn't look too good on our top line. Yes, they (#16, 18 and 26) have combined for 130 points but Wheeler doesn't look as comfortable with the puck as he did last year on the second line. Maybe when the Jets have all their 3 best forwards on ice the opposing team just sends out a unit to shut them down, so maybe it might be worth a shot to put Wheeler on the second and promote Frolik (this kid can PLAY! RESIGN HIM CHEVY) back to our top line to spread out offence. Of course Wheeler is injured atm, but maybe a small timeout is what he needs rn.

He's has the 2nd best P/60 on 5v5 on the team... Best goal scorer on 5v5 as well. He has also either been the best goal scorer or the best point producer 5v5 three straight years, including this year.

He has, however, been ineffective on the PP this year, unlike earlier, so putting him on the 2nd PP wouldn't be a bad idea.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
When Wheeler comes back I'd put him with Scheifele. And leave Frolik with Little and Ladd.

Scheifs seems to be going right now and I think Wheeler will keep him going, cause him to play up tempo.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
When Wheeler comes back I'd put him with Scheifele. And leave Frolik with Little and Ladd.

Scheifs seems to be going right now and I think Wheeler will keep him going, cause him to play up tempo.

Agree with this. LLF/ PSW are a great top-6, with more defensive acumen on the 'top' line and just as much offensive potential on the 'second'.
With Tlusty, Lowry, Stafford on the third, that leaves O'Dell, Thor, Slater, as a forth and all the right players in the pressbox.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri

I have to agree. From my perspective, Blake looked real good second half of last year's season. I thought he was going to be a monster this year but it has not been the case. I keep hoping he'll find his goal scoring groove but it hasn't happened.

One interesting observation. Watching shootouts I will see some Penguins, Blackhawks and Kings players have some sick moves that are just pure art. I never see it from the Jets. Blake usually comes in like a missile and fires and sometimes he scores, sometimes he doesn't.

But that shootout goal a week or two ago when the goalie injured himself because Blake made on of the sickest moves I have seen was awesome. I have never seen him so crafty on a SO. I wonder why he doesn't do that more often?

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
On my phone so I'm rather limited but Ed Tait tweeted that Maurice said if Wheeler feels as good as he did at today's skate he will dress against the Kings tomorrow.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree with this. LLF/ PSW are a great top-6, with more defensive acumen on the 'top' line and just as much offensive potential on the 'second'.
With Tlusty, Lowry, Stafford on the third, that leaves O'Dell, Thor, Slater, as a forth and all the right players in the pressbox.

You 2 sound like an echo of Mau before the season. He tried that at the start of the season and it didn't work at all. Noel tried splitting up LLW a couple of times. It didn't work. Both LLW and PSF were working great before the injuries. It is what they should go back to, at least LLW. I would leave Staff with Fefe a while and see how that works out. Tlusty - Lowry - Frolik might be a line when all are back.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
You 2 sound like an echo of Mau before the season. He tried that at the start of the season and it didn't work at all. Noel tried splitting up LLW a couple of times. It didn't work. Both LLW and PSF were working great before the injuries. It is what they should go back to, at least LLW. I would leave Staff with Fefe a while and see how that works out. Tlusty - Lowry - Frolik might be a line when all are back.

I'm not sure it didn't really work or not. I seem to recall Scheifele looking real good but hitting a lot of posts at the start of the season. Scheifele and Wheeler have looked good together in the past and LLF has been a good line.

But whatever, I think we have a few options that can be tried, so it's all good. Now we hope Matty P is back sooner than expected and it's lookin promising.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Wheeler and Lowry are a good pairing if Wheeler gets his speed going and starts taking the puck into the dirty areas again. Lowry is good at reading the play and getting into the right spots, Wheeler can create offense on his own when he's going. Good match. I'm not convinced we'll see that Wheeler again this season though, haven't really seen that guy in this calendar year.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
He's has the 2nd best P/60 on 5v5 on the team... Best goal scorer on 5v5 as well. He has also either been the best goal scorer or the best point producer 5v5 three straight years, including this year.

He has, however, been ineffective on the PP this year, unlike earlier, so putting him on the 2nd PP wouldn't be a bad idea.

it's weird since he was our only plus PP forward in the last 3 seasons

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Wheeler and Lowry are a good pairing if Wheeler gets his speed going and starts taking the puck into the dirty areas again. Lowry is good at reading the play and getting into the right spots, Wheeler can create offense on his own when he's going. Good match. I'm not convinced we'll see that Wheeler again this season though, haven't really seen that guy in this calendar year.

he's been too busy playing defense for a change

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
he's been too busy playing defense for a change

It's easy to overlook how crappy Wheeler has been defensively for most of his career. That's what happens when you've played mostly with Ladd and Little.

He still isn't great in that regard, but there has been some real improvement this year. He does a much better job getting back into the NZ and into passing lanes.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's easy to overlook how crappy Wheeler has been defensively for most of his career. That's what happens when you've played mostly with Ladd and Little.

He still isn't great in that regard, but there has been some real improvement this year. He does a much better job getting back into the NZ and into passing lanes.

I agree fully and it shows in the numbers. He used to be a bit of a non factor possession wise. At times he was a bit of a liability. He isn't anymore.

The decrease in offensive punch is no doubt related. Less mess off the rush.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
+\-

+26, no other Jet out of single digits. Must mean something. I think that his leadership ending that 1st slump helped get us in this position.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Seems like a nice guy, team player, and well-spoken. Always says the right things in interviews. Emphatically supported Pavs after the infamous Pav-muffin goal vs. St. Louis.

Hustles like a mofo now on the backcheck now too. May never be that point-per-game guy but solid two-ways now.

jetman

May 21, 2015
4 goals and 7 assists for 11 points in 8 games.

Looks to me that Wheeler has stepped his game up again, all the while remaining quietly under the radar.

I think he is going to break 70 points this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
4 goals and 7 assists for 11 points in 8 games.

Looks to me that Wheeler has stepped his game up again, all the while remaining quietly under the radar.

I think he is going to break 70 points this year.

Only one point out of the scoring race lead. I thought yesterday was his best game of the season.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Only one point out of the scoring race lead. I thought yesterday was his best game of the season.

As good as Wheeler has been, I'd bet that Scheif will still be the top point getter for the Jets at the end of the season.

Wheels is notorious for being a hot & cold player. Usually he's cold to start the season; this time he's hot. Scheif & Ehlers are just warming up -- I'm still betting on a 70+ season for Scheif barring injury.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As good as Wheeler has been, I'd bet that Scheif will still be the top point getter for the Jets at the end of the season.

Wheels is notorious for being a hot & cold player. Usually he's cold to start the season; this time he's hot. Scheif & Ehlers are just warming up -- I'm still betting on a 70+ season for Scheif barring injury.

Having 3 lines that can score (even if the 3rd is all Staff :laugh:) will open up opportunity for LLW that has never been there before. Ehlers poses quite a threat whenever he is on the ice. I don't want to get ahead of the curve or too carried away but the potential in our offense is pretty high. L&L&W could all have career seasons. Scheif could score 70. MP could also but he will miss at least 1/5 of the season so he only gets 55. :laugh: Then there is Ehlers. I don't even want to mention a number. He is going to start getting a lot more attention from opponents. Then we will see what his real potential is. I think he will handle it just fine TYVM. The more they key on him the more room Scheif and MP will have and I think Niko still finds his way to the dangerous spots.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
So if #85 does get his usual injury for about 10-15 games I guess we'll have to promote someone from the 4th line to play with #55 and #27 thankfully we have a certain #19 this year instead of promoting a certain#22 higher up which allows the rest of the lines to stay intact.

#26 can stay with his comfortable #16 and #18 while #14 should still stay in the pressbox and hopefully #5 on the Moose is healthy by then and turns in #21 on the big club on the 4th line.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wheeler has played well this year.

I like P-S-E, though I still would prefer a big strong scoring winger with Scheifele and Ehlers. Though why mess with good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad