Mark Wheeler

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not just that but big is just anecdotal. How someone is effective is all that matters. PSE has been one of the top 5 lines in the NHL in beating their matchups. That matters more than big and strong.

Big, strong, physical, etc are just some descriptive words on the many parts that make up a player that ultimately leads to whether or not they are effective.

LowEnd88

Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg
So if #85 does get his usual injury for about 10-15 games I guess we'll have to promote someone from the 4th line to play with #55 and #27 thankfully we have a certain #19 this year instead of promoting a certain#22 higher up which allows the rest of the lines to stay intact.

#26 can stay with his comfortable #16 and #18 while #14 should still stay in the pressbox and hopefully #5 on the Moose is healthy by then and turns in #21 on the big club on the 4th line.

As much as i want to see petan move up in the lineup in the event of injuries, I gotta admit i'd be pretty nervous with having two rookies on a big minutes line.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
LLW 10 goals
PSE 7 goals
BLS 6 goals
4th 2 goals
D 3 goals

Some nice balance...Ehlers alone has had enough chances to single-handedly raise that PSE line above LLW. Nice that Stafford is cashing in on the 3rd line. Good spot for him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
As good as Wheeler has been, I'd bet that Scheif will still be the top point getter for the Jets at the end of the season.

Wheels is notorious for being a hot & cold player. Usually he's cold to start the season; this time he's hot. Scheif & Ehlers are just warming up -- I'm still betting on a 70+ season for Scheif barring injury.

i still find the idea of a hot/cold player really funny. If a 60 point player didn't have stretches of cold, he'd be an 85 point player.

there isn't a player that goes out there and gets 60 points by scoring exactly 3 points every 4 games.

Even Wheelers "slow starts" are often pretty blown out of proportion and he continues getting points at roughly the 40-50 pt pace when he's "cold".

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
i still find the idea of a hot/cold player really funny. If a 60 point player didn't have stretches of cold, he'd be an 85 point player.

there isn't a player that goes out there and gets 60 points by scoring exactly 3 points every 4 games.

Even Wheelers "slow starts" are often pretty blown out of proportion and he continues getting points at roughly the 40-50 pt pace when he's "cold".

There are certain players that are notoriously hot & cold (getting many of their points in bunches & then getting very few for a long stretch). Wheels is the prototypical hot & cold player in our lineup.

So if you believe that he will continue to be a point+ player per game through the season because he started that way is pretty far-fetched.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Wheeler is such a streaky scorer. Good scorers shouldn't be that streaky. Consistency is key.

ZD5lp8p.png

eh...

(all situations, 30-game moving average)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
There are certain players that are notoriously hot & cold (getting many of their points in bunches & then getting very few for a long stretch). Wheels is the prototypical hot & cold player in our lineup.

So if you believe that he will continue to be a point+ player per game through the season because he started that way is pretty far-fetched.

They are notorious because media and the laymen are too lazy to analyse whether or not they are actually streaky relative to the rest of the league.

Those that prop up the idea that players are streaky are those that assume every other 60 point player did it in clockwork fashion without bothering g to look. Streaky is easy to say, its easy to build a narrative around, and it creates a hit button buzzword. Actual comparisons take too much work so its easier to just trot out the old adage.

Wheelers notorious for being streaky. Is there a 60 point player that's notorious for being clock work consistent? If not, maybe wheelers streaky because scorers are streaky.

I also did not mean to make it seem I assume that hell continue his point per game pace. He's never maintained that pa e overba season so I don't expect him to now. My point was that I'd wager most 60+ point players have had 10 points in a 7 game stretch before. Wheelers is likely not any streakier the. Anyone else in the league

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
They are notorious because media and the laymen are too lazy to analyse whether or not they are actually streaky relative to the rest of the league.

Those that prop up the idea that players are streaky are those that assume every other 60 point player did it in clockwork fashion without bothering g to look. Streaky is easy to say, its easy to build a narrative around, and it creates a hit button buzzword. Actual comparisons take too much work so its easier to just trot out the old adage.

Wheelers notorious for being streaky. Is there a 60 point player that's notorious for being clock work consistent? If not, maybe wheelers streaky because scorers are streaky.

I also did not mean to make it seem I assume that hell continue his point per game pace. He's never maintained that pa e overba season so I don't expect him to now. My point was that I'd wager most 60+ point players have had 10 points in a 7 game stretch before. Wheelers is likely not any streakier the. Anyone else in the league

You may in fact be right (that all scorers are somewhat streaky), but I think that Wheeler is one of the streakiest scorers/point producers in the Jets lineup. Perhaps I'm wrong in that belief -- I'm sure someone will find someone streakier (i.e., Stafford?)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You may in fact be right (that all scorers are somewhat streaky), but I think that Wheeler is one of the streakiest scorers/point producers in the Jets lineup. Perhaps I'm wrong in that belief -- I'm sure someone will find someone streakier (i.e., Stafford?)

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that consistent game-in and game-out player Bryan Little is much more streaky than Wheeler.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not just that but big is just anecdotal. How someone is effective is all that matters. PSE has been one of the top 5 lines in the NHL in beating their matchups. That matters more than big and strong.

Big, strong, physical, etc are just some descriptive words on the many parts that make up a player that ultimately leads to whether or not they are effective.

How is the BLS line coming along after a rocky start? They've looked better to me the past couple of games.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
*Most* players are equally streaky, in that they have similarly wide st. dev in rolling p/gp or p/60.

Just the more they score, the less you notice it.

(see goalies and in sv% for same effect)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad