Mark Recchi is the greatest Flyer of all time

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah I'm totally on board with the goalie idea. I do think the talent difference between the 90s and now isn't very big though. I think the main difference when watching older video is that the league basically had a different ruleset so players look far less talented.

I think the depth guys wouldn't be able to stick in today's NHL. Because the limited skills they had wouldn't align with the modern game. But anybody top line or top pair caliber would be fine today, some would do better or worse depending on their specifics skills and how they meshed with the rules now, but they would all stick in some way.

Somebody like Paul Kariya for instance would probably thrive in today's environment compared to when he played.

I also think a lot of depth players today wouldn't be able to play under the old ruleset, but today's top line/pair players would find a way to succeed but I don't think they would all blow everybody out of the water.
I dont have a big issue with that. :)

Also please note that when I’m shitting on players for being sub-AHL hacks, it’s always been guys like Clarke that I’m talking about. I’ve never mentioned Lindros in a similar fashion.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
So you think guys who where this

Are more skilled at stopping pucks than guys who wore this?

Going back to wood sticks would solve all the NHL’ problems except the Gary Bettman as commissioner problem

First of all, I wouldn't use Hasek to illustrate much of anything. Good luck teaching that. Anyway, that's quite the oversimplification. The two key people not brought up as often when this topic comes up are Francois Allaire and Michel Lefebvre.

Allaire brought all kinds of things to North America, but probably the most important was more sharpened skates changing how the position could be played on a physical level. Then you have Roy already challenging some of the positional norms, both end up in Sherbrooke, and the careers of both were made. Later on, Lefebvre gets to work with Roy mass producing equipment made to play the new style, it proliferates, and takes over.

They're completely different approaches at this point. It's not just equipment. It's the marriage of the techniques to it. They're intertwined inextricably.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
First of all, I wouldn't use Hasek to illustrate much of anything. Good luck teaching that. Anyway, that's quite the oversimplification. The two key people not brought up as often when this topic comes up are Francois Allaire and Michel Lefebvre.

Allaire brought all kinds of things to North America, but probably the most important was more sharpened skates changing how the position could be played on a physical level. Then you have Roy already challenging some of the positional norms, both end up in Sherbrooke, and the careers of both were made. Later on, Lefebvre gets to work with Roy mass producing equipment made to play the new style, it proliferates, and takes over.

They're completely different approaches at this point. It's not just equipment. It's the marriage of the techniques to it. They're intertwined inextricably.

It's refreshing when someone else can appreciate the position. You're tugging at my heart strings bb.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like how butterfly existed from the moment goalies were allowed to leave their feet. But it was a highly situational technique, because pads weren't waterproof enough to allow it. You'd be playing with massive weights on your legs by the end of game if you tried modern-style goaltending before that particular bit of equipment tech came to be.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Garthgantuan Snow had epic equipment similar to this...

53cf911e4a49d0ef6a28afd9405db737-318880227.jpg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Like how butterfly existed from the moment goalies were allowed to leave their feet. But it was a highly situational technique, because pads weren't waterproof enough to allow it. You'd be playing with massive weights on your legs by the end of game if you tried modern-style goaltending before that particular bit of equipment tech came to be.
Eh, Tony Esposito was pretty good at it. Glen Hall too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Eh, Tony Esposito was pretty good at it. Glen Hall too.

Right, but they weren't full-time butterfly goalies. They were still standup goalies who sometimes used butterfly techniques; still a stretch to call them hybrid. Wasn't until much later that using it full-time was workable

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Right, but they weren't full-time butterfly goalies. They were still standup goalies who sometimes used butterfly techniques; still a stretch to call them hybrid. Wasn't until much later that using it full-time was workable
Esposito was on his feet a lot more than today’s goalies for sure, but he was far from a standup goalie like Parent. His thing really was going down to stop shots and people were very sceptical of it at first. He didn’t generally make kick saves like Parent, unless the shot was from distance and high, he was going down.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad