JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
image.png

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But "greatness" to me means accomplishment, fame, importance... and by that measure Clarke (and Ruth, and Howe, and Brown, etc...) are the greatest players of their respective teams.
But what’s a bigger accomplishment, being a top player in the modern NHL or someone winning championships/MVPs in a rec league?

:)

I’d rather be among the best of the best than the best of trash.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
there is a small percentage of players involved in contact sports that could survive playing their respective sport the way all these games were played prior to 1980 much less thrive.

slapshot didn’t overplay the violence in hockey, it offered a different view of it. The rules and violence in 70’s football makes today’s game look light touch football. Basketball? Ha!

Just like Dave Semenko gave Gretzky a playing surface free of fear by savagely beating any player who even looked at Gretz the wrong way, modern sports has become the equivalent of rhythmic gymnastics. Sure it takes amazing talent… but, come on. My high school school soccer team was more intimidating than some current nhl hockey teams. If a contact sport removes intimidation from the game then we might as well not keep score and have a panel of judges give each team a rating and whoever rates higher, wins the game. lol. Maybe we could attach ribbons to their uniforms. That would probably look amazing.

I'm friends with Krzysztof Oliwa, and let me tell you, when I was a younger and more active young man, I thought I would be able to navigate around NHL goons or at least tie up one long enough for the linesmen to step in, I can categorically tell you there ain't no way in hell that would be the case. You'd get bruised just having him walk past you on the street.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad