Prospect Info: Mark McNeill, the (Re-)Forgotten Man

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Plenty of guys good enough to play in the NHL that aren't. Being in the right organization at the right time is a huge part of a fringe guys career.

This is very true.

It is unacceptable that Hino is still up with the team when he has been so terrible. He needs to be down in Rockford figuring out his game again.

McNeill needs to get a chance at this point.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
This is very true.

It is unacceptable that Hino is still up with the team when he has been so terrible. He needs to be down in Rockford figuring out his game again.

McNeill needs to get a chance at this point.

Yeah it's typical though .... keep a finesse guy hanging around even though when you do give him the call to play you expect him to play where he doesn't belong. DOH!

That said, I do think Hino will be sent down shortly but I will be very surprised if a true bottom 6 guy like McNeill gets the call.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its Bowman not Q keeping McNeill off roster

Bowman has shown he will force guys on Q ,, Yet he hasn't put McNeill on NHL roster

Says enough about how highly Stanley feels about his former prized pick

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Im going to call you the Spin Doctor. Have a stanley sucks spin on everything.

Where did I say Stan sucks? I am so confused. EDIT: Nevermind I know what is going on here.

Stan and Q are making a mistake here. Q decides who is up and down but Stan should push him more to give McNeil a chance.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Where did I say Stan sucks? I am so confused. EDIT: Nevermind I know what is going on here.

Stan and Q are making a mistake here. Q decides who is up and down but Stan should push him more to give McNeil a chance.

referring to BWC sorry

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Its Bowman not Q keeping McNeill off roster

Bowman has shown he will force guys on Q ,, Yet he hasn't put McNeill on NHL roster

Says enough about how highly Stanley feels about his former prized pick

I honestly do believe that you believe the above. I don't want to burst your bubble but these decisions are made by committee, including Stan who needs to ensure any move is cap compliant, but since Q is the one who sets the roster on a game-to-game basis, I'd bet he's the one who makes the final decision on which player get the call up or down after the options are laid on the table.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I honestly do believe that you believe the above. I don't want to burst your bubble but these decisions are made by committee, including Stan who needs to ensure any move is cap compliant, but since Q is the one who sets the roster on a game-to-game basis, I'd bet he's the one who makes the final decision on which player get the call up or down after the options are laid on the table.

Wasting your breath. Everyone is. I don't know why people even bother anymore.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Wasting your breath. Everyone is. I don't know why people even bother anymore.

Seriously?

McNeill was a 1st round pick back in 2011. He has 1 NHL game to his name. He's cleared waivers and he hasn't been traded. Can we please just call a duck a duck on this guy.

Nbd, but he is leading the hogs in points again this year...le sigh.

As a 23 year old, 2011 1st round draft pick.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Seriously?

McNeill was a 1st round pick back in 2011. He has 1 NHL game to his name. He's cleared waivers and he hasn't been traded. Can we please just call a duck a duck on this guy.

As a 23 year old, 2011 1st round draft pick.

Sorry but your post is nonsensical.

Blue Liner was indirectly responding to BWC's claim that Stan is the only person who is responsible for holding McNeill back, and keeping him in the AHL.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i am coming in the end of this, sorry ....

but the coach has the final say so on who he plays..... the only time that might be not the case, if stan comes in and makes a mandate. but i really don't see that happen in today era of hockey, eps with Q being the successful coach he is.

Q, i am sure carries a lot of weight in the org.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't see the big deal with McNeill. He has shown barely anything even in the AHL. Yeah, he leads the Hogs in scoring, but it's not like he is dominating a league that he should be at this point. I don't see him being better than anybody who is currently on the roster. He is 'meh' at pretty much everything.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't see the big deal with McNeill. He has shown barely anything even in the AHL. Yeah, he leads the Hogs in scoring, but it's not like he is dominating a league that he should be at this point. I don't see him being better than anybody who is currently on the roster. He is 'meh' at pretty much everything.

i am wondering here, ok mcneill, he maybe not fit in the style nor in the org such as the hawks, b/c of what the hawks are looking for. but maybe he can fit in another org.

that being said, i know many teams would have claimed him when he was on waivers.

so i answered my query.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
i am wondering here, ok mcneill, he maybe not fit in the style nor in the org such as the hawks, b/c of what the hawks are looking for. but maybe he can fit in another org.

that being said, i know many teams would have claimed him when he was on waivers.

so i answered my query.

Haha I do that all the time and then delete my whole post. :handclap:

giza

Jul 19, 2011
McNeill

Not all first round picks pan out. Some guys just are career AHLers....This kid appears to be one of them. Again, if he excelled at any one thing, he probably would have gotten his chance. At least he can say he played in an NHL game and carved out a career as a pro. I don't understand the extended topic----it is what it is. Each year, there are new prospects that simply have more upside or are just better and it doesn't get easier to break in as you age.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not all first round picks pan out. Some guys just are career AHLers....This kid appears to be one of them. Again, if he excelled at any one thing, he probably would have gotten his chance. At least he can say he played in an NHL game and carved out a career as a pro. I don't understand the extended topic----it is what it is. Each year, there are new prospects that simply have more upside or are just better and it doesn't get easier to break in as you age.

i am going to answer for myself, the whole point of this discussion is, many posters are really having their eyes open, on how thin the systems is. esp on the immediate level and the system can't call on a player to come in and produce or be a viable fill in.

mcneil is not one of those players. coming into this season, i really don't understand what the hawks FO was looking at or doing the number crunch.

it is sad, that mcneil was not able to reach the next level. i guess as unrealistic as it sounds, i feel for them.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Sorry but your post is nonsensical.

Blue Liner was indirectly responding to BWC's claim that Stan is the only person who is responsible for holding McNeill back, and keeping him in the AHL.

This. I more or less was pondering why people respond still. Nothing directly about McNeil.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
With Motte out and the hit that Hinostroza took last night, if he misses significant time, the Hawks will be in a position to bring someone up and McNeill has to be on the short list.
The only other guy that has played well in Rockford is Spencer Abbott.

Oh yeah, there is some Mashinter guy that got a hat trick the other night.
Nvm - I answered my own question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad