Prospect Info: Mark McNeill, the (Re-)Forgotten Man

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
There have been quite a few PPG players in the AHL that just can't convert that to the NHL. They get their callups but just can't ever score. I'm convinced at this point that McNeil is one of those, a career AHL player.

There's definitely no shortage of guys who have even gone so far as to tear up the AHL (or IHL a few years back) and never had it translate at the NHL level.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There have been quite a few PPG players in the AHL that just can't convert that to the NHL. They get their callups but just can't ever score. I'm convinced at this point that McNeil is one of those, a career AHL player.

He is not like those players though. The Darren Haydar types.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com

You're probably right that he may be nothing more than a career AHLer at this point. But most of the PPG AHLers are small, diminutive forwards where McNeill is the opposite. Plus, he has only had one callup (of one game) and hasn't been given that opportunity. I'm not saying that he'd prove he's an NHLer, but it's very rare for a 1st round pick to post the numbers he has and only given a single NHL game

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You're probably right that he may be nothing more than a career AHLer at this point. But most of the PPG AHLers are small, diminutive forwards where McNeill is the opposite. Plus, he has only had one callup (of one game) and hasn't been given that opportunity. I'm not saying that he'd prove he's an NHLer, but it's very rare for a 1st round pick to post the numbers he has and only given a single NHL game

What is puzzling to me is how can our coach like Mashinter and yet won't give McNeill the time of day. He's twice the player Mashinter is and McNeill is a prototype 4th liner. He'll be in the NHL one day, imo.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What is puzzling to me is how can our coach like Mashinter and yet won't give McNeill the time of day. He's twice the player Mashinter is and McNeill is a prototype 4th liner. He'll be in the NHL one day, imo.

He would be a solid fit on our current 4th line. He can score and grind I front of the net. His d is ok as well.

This is one of the more puzzling things I have seen with the Hawks.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He would be a solid fit on our current 4th line. He can score and grind I front of the net. His d is ok as well.

This is one of the more puzzling things I have seen with the Hawks.

At least he'll get in front of the net. Toews and AA are the only Hawks doing it consistently.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
not sure why is not getting a look, send Hinostroza down call him up and see what he has. The kid has the tools to be an NHLer, he has been given one game last year against Carolina when 80% of his teammates did not show up....

its very clear that someone in the hawks organization does not want him to succeed for some reason....maybe something happened with MacNiel off the ice?

I don't know.

I would love to see him get a chance, which he has not had

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think he is like Jack Skille.Those in the know don't feel he is worth the risk.

What risk? McNeill is a natural bottom 6 player who plays well positionally, with good size and he has some grit and offense to his game. He doesn't do anything particualrly well and isn't the least bit flashy but he is also not a liability. It is a huge puzzle why Q doesn't give him the time of day, yet likes Mashinter.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What risk? McNeill is a natural bottom 6 player who plays well positionally, with good size and he has some grit and offense to his game. He doesn't do anything particualrly well and isn't the least bit flashy but he is also not a liability. It is a huge puzzle why Q doesn't give him the time of day, yet likes Mashinter.

Right? Q constantly talks about predictability, I don't get how McNeill doesn't fit exactly what he's looking for in the bottom 6.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If that were the case he would (1) be playing on the Hawks; (2) have been picked up off waivers; or (3) have been traded.

Imo, he isn't an NHL player.

He probably isn't, it's just weird that he can't get a cup of coffee given how many non-nhl'ers get a token look.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Saying he is a NHL Player is Kind of a Stretch... I mean, he's playing in Rockford and no Team traded for him or picked him up for free

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad