Prospect Info: Mark McNeill, the (Re-)Forgotten Man

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am always baffled by these types of comments/arguments. So if the team had another Hartman on the ice that would not benefit the team? Shmaltz does not replace TT and Hartman does not replace McNeil, it would actually be nice to have both TT and another Hartman on the team right about now and would make the team much STRONGER and thus they would not be REDUNDANT.

Dismissing redundancy on a roster is typically foolish but with the Hawks current roster (in the manner you are talking) you are correct that another Hartman would be nice to have. TT would also be nice to have as a 3C at this point. I am not 100% convinced that Desi is a better option than McNeil but it appears that the Hawks (Q and Stan) don't feel he is. The surprising part is that they resigned him last off-season. I am sure we all wish we could get Q or Stan to give an honest assessment of the situation.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I am always baffled by these types of comments/arguments. So if the team had another Hartman on the ice that would not benefit the team? Shmaltz does not replace TT and Hartman does not replace McNeil, it would actually be nice to have both TT and another Hartman on the team right about now and would make the team much STRONGER and thus they would not be REDUNDANT.

You need to make moves to A) stay under the salary cap, and B) to make room for players. You can't just keep everybody. Moving TT was essential to get rid of Bickell. In that sense, I'm glad he's gone.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

I didn't say the Hawks drafted another Hartman hence we don't have 2 Hartman's I implied that McNeill was no Hartman - that Hartman is a better version of McNeill and McNeill doesn't have a job because we already have a better version of him in Hartman...

What do you not get about McNeill being redundant?

Hartman is playing 3rd and 4th line, where would McNeill play 1st line LW?

See what I mean about redundant?

You would love to have another TT? well considering we have another Hartman, where would TT play? Who's roster spot does the TT clone take?

It never ends..... Redundancy is very real.

Last edited:

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Desjardins should go the other way in any deadline trade just to clear a spot from the 50-man roster. He has no use.

The Hawks already have 7 empty slots on the 50 man.

The greater concern is finding enough forwards to fulfill the 40/70 rule before the expansion draft. The Hawks have to re-sign one of Desi/Tootoo or acquire another guy at the deadline or just after the season in order to meet the requirement.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Hawks already have 7 empty slots on the 50 man.

The greater concern is finding enough forwards to fulfill the 40/70 rule before the expansion draft. The Hawks have to re-sign one of Desi/Tootoo or acquire another guy at the deadline or just after the season in order to meet the requirement.

Desi is a good depth guy who has been able to elevate his game at crunch time. I hafta laugh when folks diss the solid depth guys like Darling, Desi, Tootoo and Rozi. Solid depth is what separates the good teams from the excellent teams.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Desi is a good depth guy who has been able to elevate his game at crunch time. I hafta laugh when folks diss the solid depth guys like Darling, Desi, Tootoo and Rozi. Solid depth is what separates the good teams from the excellent teams.

Eh, I don't think most people have an issue with the depth (though I acknowledge the push-back against Tootoo was pretty hard), the issue with most is more about how the depth is used...or overused in some cases, during Q's tenure.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

Yea, that's how I see Desi, he's always getting bashed for not scoring but he's a decent 4th line guy that can play 7-10 minutes a game, knows what he needs to do and does it.... If he has an opportunity to score obviously he will but he knows his role on the team and that is to grind it out to give the other guys a breather or to wear down an opposing line...

That's his job and he's not bad at it.

I think a lot of people don't realize that there is a 'chess' aspect to hockey and Desi is a pawn.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Desi's fine. I think a veteran leader that doesn't play every day is an underrated thing to have on the roster. He can help the kids in ways that Toews, Seabs, etc. can't. Different perspective/preparation.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yea, that's how I see Desi, he's always getting bashed for not scoring but he's a decent 4th line guy that can play 7-10 minutes a game, knows what he needs to do and does it.... If he has an opportunity to score obviously he will but he knows his role on the team and that is to grind it out to give the other guys a breather or to wear down an opposing line...

That's his job and he's not bad at it.

I think a lot of people don't realize that there is a 'chess' aspect to hockey and Desi is a pawn.

Well the problem was never the seasons prior, it's also that this year beyond no points his defense, pk, and corsi has been all things dissatisfying to the point of easily wanting him to not be a player used even in that D role when younger guys like Moose and Kero inspire more confidence.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The pick was fine, it was his progression as a player that was disappointing. The Hawks didn't reach for him at #18, and he was talked up quite a bit by quite a few scouts.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Classic case of someone who physically matured early and overpowered his peers

Then when facing people his own size including men ,, No longer was he the physical presence/dominate force he was

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Yeah, he turned out to be a bust for the Hawks, let's see what he does with the Stars, I doubt it'll be much. It happens, even with rather highly touted first round picks. At least he turned into Oduya returning.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I never understood why Q didn't seem to like McNeill's game and didn't give him a chance in Chicago. He plays a consistent rather boring style, has pretty good grit and size, and is responsible defensively. If he has any chance to be an NHLer, this is probably the best thing that could happen to him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Q and Bowman have a fairly good track record of 'not giving kids opportunities'. Most of the kids that they didn't give a chance just simply weren't good enough.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I never understood why Q didn't seem to like McNeill's game and didn't give him a chance in Chicago. He plays a consistent rather boring style, has pretty good grit and size, and is responsible defensively. If he has any chance to be an NHLer, this is probably the best thing that could happen to him.

He definitely needed a new address. I am not saying this from a place of "I wish they didn't trade him" but I really truly feel, and said this for a while, that a change of scenery would be a necessary reset button and that he would still have a decent shot at being some kind of NHL player with another organization. He's a bust as a first round pick at this point but he's still only 24 and has time to be some kind of serviceable NHL player if he can put it together and get an opportunity with a club with more openings and shallower depth chart.

I am glad they have moved on from him but I wish him well and hope that this can spark his career and give him a fresh start.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Wasn't McNeill waived earlier in the year ... and thus anyone could have picked him up at that time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad