Player Discussion Mark Kastelic

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I like this type of player for us. He fills a need, size, physicality, and the willingness to fight and defend his mates. Good on the dot, and from what I read, a good room/community guy. Looch blew it and Maroon is past his prime, this is a good start. The 4th line will have some size with Beecher, Kastelic and maybe Brazzeau.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sens fan here:

Kastelic is big and strong and fast in a straight line speed. He's good on faceoffs. He'll drop the gloves if he has to.

He isn't crazy fast, but has good straight line speed, especially for a big guy, which means he can forcheck hard. The problem though, is he often does fly bys instead of putting 220pounds at speed into the opponents defenders. On multiple occasions, Jacques Martin and Daniel Alfredsson were livid on the bench because he would not finish his check. He's on the 4th line, he needs to know that if he doesn't finish his checks, he's out of the league.

He's a good locker room guy. Captained the Calgary hitmen. Will win faceoffs. Solid defensively, but not great.

If you guys can get him to play hard, he's a great 4th liner. Odds are, he might leave you wanting more nastiness from him as he's a big strong guy who can move. You'll keep thinking of what he could be if he had a mean streak.
Thanks for the analysis! Sounds like the 2 Ritchie brothers. Only difference is that he is good at faceoffs.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I like this type of player for us. He fills a need, size, physicality, and the willingness to fight and defend his mates. Good on the dot, and from what I read, a good room/community guy. Looch blew it and Maroon is past his prime, this is a good start. The 4th line will have some size with Beecher, Kastelic and maybe Brazzeau.

Heavy 4th line if Beecher begins finishing checks. Brazeau was a force in the playoffs. Lauko again 13th forward for the Toronto and Carolina softer speed rosters.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Really? because if you look in the threads talking about the trade, you see a lot of people complaining about him being a 4th liner, a JAG, a guy that probably won't even make the NHL roster.

He’s a 4th liner who had quite a few healthy scratches the past couple seasons.

He will make the roster, but that’s pretty much what a JAG is.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So essentially fans are looking at him emotionally vs rationally. Sounds right for this place.
Rationally he's a guy who will likely have marginal, if any, impact on the team, especially long term. He's essentially a fungible player. I think people who like him are doing so for emotional reasons (which is totally fine btw): he plays a style they like or fits an archetype they like.

He's an 11-13thF. I'm not saying he won't bring any value to the team, he might, but at the end of the day I care a lot more about the top 15-18 guys on the roster and less about the bottom 4 or 5.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Rationally he's a guy who will likely have marginal, if any, impact on the team, especially long term. He's essentially a fungible player. I think people who like him are doing so for emotional reasons (which is totally fine btw): he plays a style they like or fits an archetype they like.

He's an 11-13thF. I'm not saying he won't bring any value to the team, he might, but at the end of the day I care a lot more about the top 15-18 guys on the roster and less about the bottom 4 or 5.

I don't know that I'd agree that people who like him are for emotional reasons. I think those that like him are people that are tired of see the team get pushed around and not having someone who will stand up for teammates when they take a cheap shot. They want size and grit.

Management seems to feel like that's lacking as well. That's evident by signing Lucic last off-season and then acquiring Maroon at the TDL because Lucic wasn't coming back from his off ice incident.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012

Hopefully DS reads your post

Until proven otherwise ( like this FA period) he seems to focus on adding interchangeable third and fourth line ( and occasionally fifth line) forwards while the top six is in desperate need of another scorer to take the heat off of Pasta.

It's an approach that keeps you ( more than) competitive during the regular season but the lack of a bottom six identify gets exposed in the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just learned a lot of things about him from Conor Ryan article in the Globe

1. His Grandfather was Pat ‘Whitey’ Stapleton, the Torey Krug of his time albeit a bit taller

Pat Stapleton was a heck of a player - he was a beast in the playoffs and ran a PP that has Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Kenny Wharhan, and Jim Pappin.

Stapleton broke in with Bruins in early 60’s very young before hitting big with Chicago

2. Kastelic is an high end FO player 56.3 in career

He was 4th in hits in Ottawa even in low minutes and 13th F

His goals against 5x5 per 60 minutes (minimum 400 minutes) was a very respectable 2.40

MO

If I’m Monty’s kid I tell my dad use him at RW but take draws - dress against heavier teams

He is familiar with the middle but with Beecher gives Bruins size

He could alternate with Lauko if need be - he eliminates Maroon altogether @Ladyfan rejoices

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Just learned a lot of things about him from Conor Ryan article in the Globe

1. His Grandfather was Pat ‘Whitey’ Stapleton, the Torey Krug of his time albeit a bit taller

Pat Stapleton was a heck of a player - he was a beast in the playoffs and ran a PP that has Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Kenny Wharhan, and Jim Pappin.

Stapleton broke in with Bruins in early 60’s very young before hitting big with Chicago

2. Kastelic is an high end FO player 56.3 in career

He was 4th in hits in Ottawa even in low minutes and 13th F

His goals against 5x5 per 60 minutes (minimum 400 minutes) was a very respectable 2.40

MO

If I’m Monty’s kid I tell my dad use him at RW but take draws - dress against heavier teams

He is familiar with the middle but with Beecher gives Bruins size

He could alternate with Lauko if need be - he eliminates Maroon altogether @Ladyfan rejoices
what are you trading Brazeau for? 4th rounder?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Why is it that Sweeneys answer to the toughness question is always a punching bag?
Because he wants people who can actually still play hockey.

Now, all you people dumping on Kastelic, you all love Freddy right? Consider the similarities. Compare and contrast.

I'd bet you all love Kastelic by November latest.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Now, all you people dumping on Kastelic, you all love Freddy right? Consider the similarities. Compare and contrast.

Good early form

If this was 1969 Kastelic Krazies would be a Fan Club that meets once a month at Valle’s in Saugus

I’m all in as 12-13 F

56.3 FO % !!!!!!!

Pat ‘Whitey’ Stapleton is his grandfather!!!!!

My God this is tremendous

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH

Why does being able to win a fight mean you can't play hockey?

As far as Frederic goes I could take him or leave him. I have routinely called him the worst fighter I have ever seen in a Bs uniform. In fact, he is the reason we didn't need a punching bag because he already holds that title. As far as playing ability though its not even close, Frederic had almost twice as many points last season as Kastelic does in his entire career.

I don't want this taken the wrong way, I don't hate Mark Kastelic or the fact that he is a Bruin. I think he could turn into a Paul Gaustad type when its all said and done and thats not a bad thing. My frustrations lie with Don Sweeney more than anything and thats partially my fault too, I get excited for things that he was never going to do in the first place.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Brazeau will take JVR's place on the 3rd line, no?
I'm very excited for him to get a full season. He's gonna be deadly on the PP.

Depends on what the Bruins plan on doing with their 2nd line.

Will Poitras make it? Will Geekie be moved up to 2nd line RW because they couldn't find anyone in FA? Is Lysell not ready yet? Plenty of flexibility right now with what happens to the forward lineup.

I feel like Brazeau is more than just a 4th liner but we need to see more of him to determine that - being able to run the marathon that is the NHL season is something he hasn't had to do yet and we don't know how he'll be able to handle it.

IMO, Poitras with Brazaeu could be pretty fun to watch. Maybe Frederic -- Poitras -- Brazuau will be the third line next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad