Marek Zidlicky

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Enjoy him, he's going to make you want to strangle him sometimes with the turnovers but his creativity and play making is still very very good

kiwidevil

He's more or less a Rental Rafalski.

He has ten times the shot Rafalski had. Really quick, accurate slapper for the powerplay. Especially a quick step into a half slapper surprises a lot of goalies.

Higher risk/reward type player too.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Remember this from a different thread and your memory isn't wrong. Found it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=74263795

Post 185.

Also like that in this thread, abdlekader is down the page a little more and means in Arabic

Abdel = Servant/worshiper of
Kader = The powerful

Given his line placements for the last couple years, I will say so.:laugh:

As an Arab-American, I can confirm.

He must have relatives or past family with arabic heritage.

OT, though - I'm stoked to see Zid on the PP. He still has tons of skill at 38.

Last edited:

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
So Zidlicky means 'Jew face'? Is there anyone that can confirm this?

I don't know to be honest. In Czech, židle means a chair, and žid is a Jew. Líce or líc is a cheek. Maybe it's really derived from the words žid and líc but in contemporary Czech, it does sound as having to do something with chairs. For example židlička is a little chair, židličky are little chairs... the actual last name Židlický isn't a real Czech word but I bet that for 99 out of 100 Czech speakers it's evoking something like "of chairs".

But the Jewish connection could indeed be relevant, even though I would've never thought about it if not for the Russian guy's post in the thread linked above.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
To be honest I don't see the PP units as a clear #1 and #2, now that Hank should be back in the lineup (knock on wood) they're both pretty much #1PP units (1A and 1B if you will). The talent is spread out pretty well and both units have great firepower also I haven't looked it up but I think (when Pav and Z are both in the lineup) icetime is similar for both units.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Didn't see the units yet, when writing here. But yes, in this case you're right. Gotta like that.

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Love Marchenko.

If Zids can just be dependable and not freak out when players pressure him he'll already be ahead of most of our dmen. Ready to see him play.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So who is better, Zidlicky or Petry?

Well, Petry has 74 points in nearly 300 NHL games. Zidlicky has 65 in the last 144. Zidlicky is clearly the more gifted offensive player.

But Petry is bigger, younger. Petry is a middle of the road piece you use to fill in your blueline.

Zidlicky was once a higher caliber offensive defender nearing the end of his career. He's got a couple good years of hockey left and can boost your powerplay and puck moving more than anything.

So which one of those is better? I think Zidlicky is a better fit for the Wings right now, but one could argue Petry fits better long term.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
As an Arab-American, I can confirm.

He must have relatives or past family with arabic heritage.

OT, though - I'm stoked to see Zid on the PP. He still has tons of skill at 38.

I think I read somewhere that Abby is part lebanese

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well, Petry has 74 points in nearly 300 NHL games. Zidlicky has 65 in the last 144. Zidlicky is clearly the more gifted offensive player.

But Petry is bigger, younger. Petry is a middle of the road piece you use to fill in your blueline.

Zidlicky was once a higher caliber offensive defender nearing the end of his career. He's got a couple good years of hockey left and can boost your powerplay and puck moving more than anything.

So which one of those is better? I think Zidlicky is a better fit for the Wings right now, but one could argue Petry fits better long term.

And we traded 3rd, they 2nd?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Glad that we ended up with Zid in the end. A guy who brings enough to the table to make us better right now and really wanted to come here. A weapon on the PP. Not too high on Petry anyways.

And we traded 3rd, they 2nd?

Conditional 3rd rounder in 2016. In case of advancing to the ECF, they get our 5th rounder for this year as well. If we reach the SCF, they'll receive a 2nd rounder in 2016.
Oilers got a 2nd rounder and a conditional 5th rounder in 2015 for Petry. Or what do you mean?

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't know to be honest. In Czech, židle means a chair, and žid is a Jew. Líce or líc is a cheek. Maybe it's really derived from the words žid and líc but in contemporary Czech, it does sound as having to do something with chairs. For example židlička is a little chair, židličky are little chairs... the actual last name Židlický isn't a real Czech word but I bet that for 99 out of 100 Czech speakers it's evoking something like "of chairs".

But the Jewish connection could indeed be relevant, even though I would've never thought about it if not for the Russian guy's post in the thread linked above.

Thank you for the insight. Thought it was a really weird translation.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Glad that we ended up with Zid in the end. A guy who brings enough to the table to make us better right now and really wanted to come here. A weapon on the PP. Not too high on Petry anyways.

Conditional 3rd rounder in 2016. In case of advancing to the ECF, they get our 5th rounder for this year as well. If we reach the SCF, they'll receive a 2nd rounder in 2016.
Oilers got a 2nd rounder and a conditional 5th rounder in 2015 for Petry. Or what do you mean?

I wasn't sure what the Habs gave up.
Thanks.

I will be glad to give them our 2nd ;)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I think you answered his question really well. That's the breakdown of both trades.

Also, worth noting, that New Jersey said they got better offers for Zidlicky, but he was only willing to waive his NTC for Detroit. So NJ had to accept a lesser offer to accommodate his wishes. That's a nice little bonus, at least.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Absolutely. Always nice to see guys come down here out of their own free will, not just being traded away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad