Player Discussion Marc Staal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Staal was absolutely fine last season playing on the bottom pair. Guy gets so much slack for nothing.

Reactions: Lays

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal was absolutely fine last season playing on the bottom pair. Guy gets so much slack for nothing.

He posted the worst metrics of all the D who played (including Pionk) and was heavily sub replacement level.

That was not fine. He didn't spend much time on the "bottom pair" either. He had the 2nd most minutes played of all defensemen, thats a problem (he sucked almost equally against all levels of competition, so this isn't skewed by playing against top players, 4th liners chewed him up too.)

He wasn't even good before the new year, but his game absolutely tanked after January 1, like beyond any other stretch of games in his career.

It's one thing if you don't have better players, but we do.

Reactions: Machinehead

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He posted the worst metrics of all the D who played (including Pionk) and was heavily sub replacement level.

That was not fine. He didn't spend much time on the "bottom pair" either. He had the 2nd most minutes played of all defensemen, thats a problem (he sucked almost equally against all levels of competition, so this isn't skewed by playing against top players, 4th liners chewed him up too.)

He wasn't even good before the new year, but his game absolutely tanked after January 1, like beyond any other stretch of games in his career.

And I still believe there's a GM out there that will take him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Hey theoretically what would happen if we buried Stall, Shattenkirk AND Smith in Hartford? Is it possible?

It's not possible because Staal and Shattenkirk have NMCs. But if it were possible it would clear 375k/player if they were replaced by players on league minimum contracts.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I stand up for Staal, when needed, but you make it sound like he stormed a beach to ensure our freedom.

The guy lost his eye playing a game for a massive salary. A game he's played his entire life and worked hard so he could make it to this level and play in the NHL.

He lost his eye earning the living he chose. You make the fans sound like we're watching gladiators.
Yea I get that and the same with Zucc, they made these choices but we also have a choice on how we refer to the bad contract. Just don't care for posters making it sound like Staal killed their first born by playing D on the Rangers. I still stand by what I said because it is true: the dude lost most of his vision in an eye, playing a game on a team we like to watch. More respect could be shown, show your displeasure in his play and contract, just don't go crazy with the insults. If I wrote what people have written about Staal to another poster I would be banned.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Yea I get that and the same with Zucc, they made these choices but we also have a choice on how we refer to the bad contract. Just don't care for posters making it sound like Staal killed their first born by playing D on the Rangers. I still stand by what I said because it is true: the dude lost most of his vision in an eye, playing a game on a team we like to watch. More respect could be shown, show your displeasure in his play and contract, just don't go crazy with the insults. If I wrote what people have written about Staal to another poster I would be banned.

What have you done for me lately. The amount of hate Staal and Girardi have gotten on these boards, two of the greatest D in Ranger history.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
After his injury he has zero puck handling ability, and his breakout passes leave a lot to be desired. But his gap control and in zone coverage are still pretty good. He also got back to skating up ice a little bit last year which was nice to see.

My biggest issue with Staal is just his contract. If he was on a cheap deal I would be happy having him as my 6-7 defenseman.

Reactions: Lays and Off Sides

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
After his injury he has zero puck handling ability, and his breakout passes leave a lot to be desired. But his gap control and in zone coverage are still pretty good. He also got back to skating up ice a little bit last year which was nice to see.

My biggest issue with Staal is just his contract. If he was on a cheap deal I would be happy having him as my 6-7 defenseman.

What does that 5.6M matter though? He has 2 years left and it's not going to prevent us from anything. We have plenty of money to sign our RFAs and then a ton of money coming off the books over the next couple years. So how is that such a big issue?

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
What does that 5.6M matter though? He has 2 years left and it's not going to prevent us from anything. We have plenty of money to sign our RFAs and then a ton of money coming off the books over the next couple years. So how is that such a big issue?

It’s not an issue for the team because we can work around it. I was just pointing out that the major negativity towards him as a player is loaded because he is a negative value asset.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It’s not really what have you done for me lately. Staal has been a bad defenseman for YEARS. I also feel like “Peak Staal” gets quite overrated due to his subsequent injuries, leadership, and being a Rangers draft pick. At his best he still was never as good as McDonagh for example.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Skjei had the most overall minutes played and then Pionk and then Staal. Pionk just edged Marc though by 11 minutes. Staal also played the most games of all our defensemen and always was used in defensive situations like penalty killing. Skjei actually hardly ever saw the power play either and also got a lot of penalty kill time. People griping about Skjei's offense should keep that in mind.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Rangers moving on from Staal but I don't think they're ready. I think they're more ready with Shattenkirk and Smith and from my point of view Smith has really lost the plot. There are games you stick him on D--he looks okay but he can't do it for stretch without f***ing up big time--either by trying to do too much and/or taking one bad penalty after another or making some egregious mistake that costs us a game or two or three. It's like he loses focus and discipline and it's not like he's a terrible 4th line LW but I'm not happy about him doing that at $4.35 mil a year. That's not good bang for the buck.

In Shattenkirk's case---the injury sure but he's an average skater at best who plays lackadaisical defense and is subsequently sheltered by the coaching staff from certain situations and the best part of his game--the offense (and we were looking for him to be a big producer on the power play) has been very underwhelming--he came at a bargain price but he's still our highest paid D and he hasn't even come close to showing he deserved the cap hit he's got. It's bad optics when you're second highest paid player on the team--the highest skater and you need to be sheltered and other and younger d-men (like DeAngelo for instance) are doing better at what you do best. Kevin should be a leader on the ice for us and he isn't.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Zero issue with how ur saying it here... I do think the “are u not entertained!?!?!” Aspect of ur initial post was unwarranted. We all love the NYR & some may speak on a hockey forum a little bit unjustly but that’s the internet for u. It’s the world we now live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad