Speculation: Marc Savard to be Berube's Assistant Coach Excitement Thread

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton

They hate him in Calgary.

Literally can’t stand him there.

Is he the best option available?
Flames have been in free fall since losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau. I would be much more inclined to judge Savard by his time in St Louis where the pp was better than Toronto in spite of the lack of pure finishers. I don't see him as an obvious upgrade but this year didn't work so what's the downside? Any change is a chance right?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Apparently it surged in the latter part of the season.

I mean we went less than 5% in the playoffs so it's going to be REALLY hard not to improve.
I think most people are missing the point when it comes to the Leafs powerplay. Over the last several years it has consistently been one of the best in the league (three seasons ago it was in fact the best in the league). But it dies every year in the playoffs, despite having the exact same set-up as the regular season. I suspect the problem is not the power play coach - it's that the same players who struggle to produce offense at 5 on 5 in the playoffs also struggle to produce offense on the power play. In other words, it's the players, not the coach.

Reactions: Jojalu

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think most people are missing the point when it comes to the Leafs powerplay. Over the last several years it has consistently been one of the best in the league (three seasons ago it was in fact the best in the league). But it dies every year in the playoffs, despite having the exact same set-up as the regular season. I suspect the problem is not the power play coach - it's that the same players who struggle to produce offense at 5 on 5 in the playoffs also struggle to produce offense on the power play. In other words, it's the players, not the coach.

It's incredibly easy to stop when you're willing to block everything and everyone is going balls to the wall in the playoffs.

Rielly-Marner aren't shot threats so you crowd Matthews/Nylander down low.

Bertuzzi was better at the net front and then we changed back to JT

The best way to lay out the players was -

Rielly-Nylander on the point

Marner at the left half wall to feet the net front (Bertuzzi) or cross ice for a Matthews-1 time or Nylander 1 time from the point, Rielly's job should have been to be moving constantly to create new passing/shooting lanes or if they cheat for pass, Marner needed to move off the half wall and fire a shot for a rebound or beat the goalie clean.

We made zero adjustments.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's incredibly easy to stop when you're willing to block everything and everyone is going balls to the wall in the playoffs.

Rielly-Marner aren't shot threats so you crowd Matthews/Nylander down low.

Bertuzzi was better at the net front and then we changed back to JT

The best way to lay out the players was -

Rielly-Nylander on the point

Marner at the left half wall to feet the net front (Bertuzzi) or cross ice for a Matthews-1 time or Nylander 1 time from the point, Rielly's job should have been to be moving constantly to create new passing/shooting lanes or if they cheat for pass, Marner needed to move off the half wall and fire a shot for a rebound or beat the goalie clean.

We made zero adjustments.
Take a step back and think about what you are saying. Some of the best hockey players in the world (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) were not able to adjust their play when time and space was taken away from them? How is that a coaching issue, when the same thing happens at 5 on 5? Did anyone notice that the bottom doesn't drop out of Tampa's power play when the playoffs start? Is it because of their assistant coaches, or is because Kucherov, Hedman, Point and Stamkos can perform even when time and space is reduced? It just seems pie in the sky to me to think that this is a coaching issue.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Usually the way it goes when there's a history involved (w/Berube in STL). We'll see what transpires if and when this does happen.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
As a head coach, Savard had the Spitfires offense humming, ans the power play was real solid. Happy to have him here, if he does join

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Take a step back and think about what you are saying. Some of the best hockey players in the world (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) were not able to adjust their play when time and space was taken away from them? How is that a coaching issue, when the same thing happens at 5 on 5? Did anyone notice that the bottom doesn't drop out of Tampa's power play when the playoffs start? Is it because of their assistant coaches, or is because Kucherov, Hedman, Point and Stamkos can perform even when time and space is reduced? It just seems pie in the sky to me to think that this is a coaching issue.
Coaching is all about telling players who to pass to and when, same as who to cover on breakouts. There is a lot of whiteboard time teaching them to follow schemes rather than instincts. No coach says "just go dangle". The one who anticipates and chokes the breakouts or exploits the coverage habits of the opposition is going to do well.

All season long teams play their own game and then the playoffs come and some clubs just try to keep rolling and others analyze th the game film correctly and learn to make the right adjustments. Not able to adjust is mostly on the coach because these guys don't freelance a lot, even if the bigger stars do get a bit more rope. The team specific game strategy ramps way up when the playoffs and thats the coach steering that.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Marc Savard was a staple of my fantasy team drafting back in the day. Always around a little later then he should have been.

Reactions: TMLAM34

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
They hate a lot of things in Calgary:

-All of Eastern Canada
-All of Western Canada that is situated west of their border
-All of the Territories
-Saskatchewan
-Manitoba
-Quebec and the Maritme Provinces
-Toronto
-Treliving
-Huberdeau
Etc.

You forgot Edmonton, the Oilers, and the Esks.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

-All of Eastern Canada
-All of the Territories
-Saskatchewan
-Manitoba
-Toronto
-Treliving
-Huberdeau
Etc.

Ahh yes the City that thinks their shit dont stink but smells like a dairy farm... moooooooooooooooo .........

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I have no clue if this guy is any good or not.

I remember reading an interview with him once. He said all his plays were stolen by an assistant from his desk in a flood one time. I remember thinking how careless it was to not have a backup of such valuable information.

Being unprepared in the event of unfortunate circumstances Savard should fit right in with the Leafs.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’m hoping Savard comes here. Creative player who knew when not to dangle.

So much could change on the pp. Mitch could be gone. The back pass could be gone.

It feels to me like pp1’s mantra is “Skill, not urgency”. They expect skill to prevail and they become way too static. Add a point shot and don’t let Mitch and Morgan play catch with the puck. Generate some chaos.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I really hope this isn't true and we beat you guys to this hire. We need one too most likely.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Reactions: AvroArrow

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Fire him into the sun
No e of the assistants should be retained, but Can Ryan might avoid the axe…….

-All of Eastern Canada
-All of the Territories
-Saskatchewan
-Manitoba
-Toronto
-Treliving
-Huberdeau
Etc.
Yup, Alberta us a wonderful place if you avoid Calgary and Edmonton. Westerners hate the east, but those two sewers are as left as Toronto is that’s for damn sure…….

Reactions: 3blizzard4

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Can anyone tell me why NHL PPs are pretty much useless? And work at such low percentages? Makes no sense. Lots of good players with skill . Extra player, more space.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't think we miss the point. We have eyes that work. We want change. We want improvements. We hope a coach can change things. As far as the other stuff we know what to expect: the core is under contract and remains here. Since they can't trade themselves for the fans, we can only hope someone will coach a better way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad