Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
It wasn't even close to the same.

Cliff Fletcher went on the radio and told the media that Sundin would'nt waive his NTC, he wanted to trade him.........He made fans turn on him and the Muskoka 5. But we saw through it afterwards. He wanted to keep playing for the Leafs.

Sundin then basically went back to Sweden, and decided to play again with the Canucks around Christmas for the rest of that season, then retired.

Cliff f***ed him over big time he should have retired a Leafs player. Probably why you don't see him around much.
And him not wanting to waive his NTC is the reason those leafs fans I knew were upset about

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
And him not wanting to waive his NTC is the reason those leafs fans I knew were upset about
That should not be a public shaming though. And his own GM goes on the radio and tells them he won't waive.........to try to shame him into agreeing.

You or I would not like something like that where we work, we'd be going to HR or above that.

Cliff basically took a shit on Sundin but all Leafs fans LOVE Sundin forever.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
That should not be a public shaming though. And his own GM goes on the radio and tells them he won't waive.........to try to shame him into agreeing.

You or I would not like something like that where we work, we'd be going to HR or above that.

Cliff basically took a shit on Sundin but all Leafs fans LOVE Sundin forever.
he is just being open and honest with the media

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
he is just being open and honest with the media

You think it's fine to go to the media and tell them that an employee who has a clause in their contract that they can't be re-assigned or traded to another team, is refusing to waive that?

That's what Cliff tried to pull off.

I don't think the big company would like someone breaking their contract like that. Just imagine a player going all out with the media with something similar.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles

This is aftermath stuff, just read it and the names.

So much more happened before this article, but it's hard to find something from that long ago to explain how Sundin was treated by Fletcher............

No Leafs fan wanted Sundin to be treated like that.
I'm not sure what point you are exactly trying to make. From talking to you it seems you understood why he left and don't hold it aganist him. But I knew leafs fans who told me I wasn't allowed to be upset with Tavares leaving than proceed to talk about how they were still upset at Sundin for not waiving his NTC...

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Should have been Morgan Rielly if not Tavares. Matthews is not captain or leadership material. Purely a PR and media optics move. As the Texans say, all hat no cattle.

But these are the Leafs. Purely cosmetic move without substance as usual

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
It doesn't appear that he has been stripped of anything. In the OP it states that
"This is part of the evolution of Matthews as a leader and current Maple Leafs captain John Tavares fully supports the change. Tavares has been heavily involved in the process with GM Brad Treliving."
I mean you can argue semantics all day long but either he gave it up willingly(yikes) or was stripped(yikes).

Evolution is just spin. Don't eat that up. It's bad for you.

If you haven't heard the song Underpants by Rudy you are missing out. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Fans
Sep 18, 2009
Should have been Morgan Rielly if not Tavares. Matthews is not captain or leadership material. Purely a PR and media optics move. As the Texans say, all hat no cattle.

But these are the Leafs. Purely cosmetic move without substance as usual
8rwlly? rea..y/?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I mean you can argue semantics all day long but either he gave it up willingly(yikes) or was stripped(yikes).

Evolution is just spin. Don't eat that up. It's bad for you.

If you haven't heard the song Underpants by Rudy you are missing out. LOL
You sure can, or you can take things at face value until it is shown to be otherwise. No need to argue semantics. Especially not lexical semantics.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Does he have what it takes to become a Stanley Cup Champion Captain, like Aleksander Barkov, Stanley Cup Champion Captain of the Florida Panthers?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Awesome, it's about time. JT is a great guy and all but he just doesn't have that influence and it was especially on display in the playoffs, need a guy the troops can rally around. Hopefully they'll make it more of a succession, rather than stripping JT, that would be awkward af.

Love the decision though.

The thing is it just doesn't work like that. Matthews is a leader on that team already. It's not because he doesn't have the C that players are not following him already. He's the best player on the team and one of the highest paid players in the league.

I don't think this changes a thing in their locker room or performance. Everyone will still have massive respect for Tavares and will listen to him in the room, including Matthews. Same goes for Matthews, guys will listen to him he's that good. Both guys are leaders in the room.

It's likely the good decision to make but to say it will change the dynamic of that team - no chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad