Who will have the better year? Chychrun or Chabot?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you think will have the better season this year?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chabot had a few highlight reel goals the last year or two just walking in from the point with speed to get into a scoring position before the opposition can block it off. Chychrun doesn't. He just blasts it through the goalie.

It's the only move Chabot has on the PP because he has no shot worth speaking of. He has to beat a man one-on-one to get into scoring position.

I've never disputed that he's a more fluid skater. Unfortunately, it hasn't added much of a benefit with the man advantage.

Chabot had 1 PP goal last year to Chychrun's 7 (tied for 2nd on the team).

Chabot missed a pile of games but looking at icetime, scored at around 1 goal per ~135 minutes of PP time. Chychrun scored at a rate of 1 goal per ~31 minutes of PP time.

In terms of PP points, Chabot had 1 point per ~20 minutes of PP time, Chychrun at 1 point per ~13.5 minutes of PP time.

It will be interesting to see if Chabot's anemic production with the man advantage continues with a substantial role, or whether he will be supplanted by Sanderson on the top unit full-time.

Chabot's advantage at ES in terms of delivering offence (1 point per 31 minutes ES vs. 1 point per 50 minutes ES) is countered by his inability to do so in the static situations called upon with the man advantage.

They are very different players, and I tend to agree that Chabot is clearly the better fit in Ottawa. If your beef is still with me saying that skating is a wash, fair enough. Chabot can be the better skater and should be most of the time.

But maybe things will work out better for Chychrun in Washington, and as has been said, it's a contract year for him so a lot of motivation.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's the only move Chabot has on the PP because he has no shot worth speaking of. He has to beat a man one-on-one to get into scoring position.

I've never disputed that he's a more fluid skater. Unfortunately, it hasn't added much of a benefit with the man advantage.

Chabot had 1 PP goal last year to Chychrun's 7 (tied for 2nd on the team).

Chabot missed a pile of games but looking at icetime, scored at around 1 goal per ~135 minutes of PP time. Chychrun scored at a rate of 1 goal per ~31 minutes of PP time.

In terms of PP points, Chabot had 1 point per ~20 minutes of PP time, Chychrun at 1 point per ~13.5 minutes of PP time.

It will be interesting to see if Chabot's anemic production with the man advantage continues with a substantial role, or whether he will be supplanted by Sanderson on the top unit full-time.

Chabot's advantage at ES in terms of delivering offence (1 point per 31 minutes ES vs. 1 point per 50 minutes ES) is countered by his inability to do so in the static situations called upon with the man advantage.

They are very different players, and I tend to agree that Chabot is clearly the better fit in Ottawa. If your beef is still with me saying that skating is a wash, fair enough. Chabot can be the better skater and should be most of the time.

But maybe things will work out better for Chychrun in Washington, and as has been said, it's a contract year for him so a lot of motivation.

That's a totally different argument though and I would 100% agree with you.

Chychrun is much better once he's in the offensive zone. Using Chabot over chychrun as pp1 qb made no sense.

It should have always been to have Brady and all cause chaos down low pulling the defensive forwards down low to help, and then feeding it back to chychrun who has space to walk into the high slot to use his shot and either score clean or have Brady tap in the rebound.

Made no sense to use Chabot and his muffin junior B shot.

But this isn't a skating discussion anymore though lol.

Reactions: NyQuil

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As I said, I don't care how well you CAN skate if you don't.

Chabot is the bigger disappointment in that area because he has more potential that remains unused.

It's also why I'm not big on "pace" arguments because you aren't helping your team when you're injured and sitting in the press box.

If you want to say that Chabot is the better skater but the actual outcome on the ice is a negligible difference I'm fine with that.
Chychurn is not at Chabot’s level of skating. I thought Chychurn was a little better until he got here, showed signs 2-3 times, but lacked the smoothness of Chabot’s stride.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Chabby is better, but is also being paid significantly more. So he needs to stay healthy and have a better season, we desperately need it.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Statistically my guess is Chychrun since he'll probably get more offensive opportunity in Washington than he did in Ottawa.

But Chabot will be the far more important player, and his biggest contribution is with the breakout which isn't really something that shows up on the stat sheet. We're essentially comparing a 1B dman to a #3 dman here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad