Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Well, wasn't it 8 years ago when we told you so? I mean was that Tavares contract really worth it? It was a major mistake by Toronto to court the guy and I honestly think that lopsided contract cost you guys the ability to construct a balanced team. You should have had at least 2 Cups by now but only made it once past the first round under JT's leadership. Now you may never see a Cup. Too bad. Live and learn.
You dont honestly believe this do you? Do you realize how hard it is to win one cup in the cap era, let alone 2?

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
How can anyone tell if someone is a motivator or not? What we see is Matthews is way more outspoken. Tavares is a robot.

z1c0c1awlysc1.gif
Wow I just got goosebumps. What an incredible display of leadership

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Out of curiosity, just watching the press conference/announcement now. Even now, you just see this guy does not carry himself professionally. Leafs management all wearing suits and collared shirts and dress shoes for the announcement. Matthews wearing a suit jacket over a non collared shirt and running shoes and earrings. Even John Tavares, who is no longer the captain, is dressed in suit jacket, collared shirt and dress shoes. A true professional despite the I am sure awkwardness of relinquishing the captaincy. Sure, this doesn't speak to leadership of Matthews, but it just reinforces this guy is not a professional. Yes, him mooning that guard was years ago but lots of players (including Tavares) have not had these types of things happen to draw negative attention to themselves. Tavares has always carried himself maturely. Whether he should have been captain or not is debatable, but Matthews is not leadership material. How he attired himself today just buttresses that.
Are you for real? Is this Allen Iverson all over again lol?

Do you know what Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein have in common? They're both sex offending dirtbags? Nahh, they both wore business suits all the time...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So many NHL teams are run like garbage and filled to the brim with low IQ fools.

This mistake has been done numerous times. Scoring the most goals and/or points does not a leader make. How anyone in that organization can look at Matthews and feel he is leader shouldn't be in the position of making decisions anymore.

The only benefit of this move is for fans of other teams who enjoy crapping on Toronto. In other words, everyone else.

Post this lthis are ridiculous.

You aren't in the dressing room or with the players. You can't say he isn't a good leader just because you watch some of his games on TV.

Reactions: Rob Brown

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Wow I just got goosebumps. What an incredible display of leadership

The point was the poster said Matthews was just as reserved as Tavares so it made no sense but I am saying if you actually follow the team Matthews is a lot more outspoken and himself than John ever was.

No one on this site has any clue who is a good leader or not on any NHL team

Reactions: Bust and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Shoulda named him captain a couple years ago tbh

Rumor has it he was supposed to be captain when Tavares got it, but because he didn't inform the team in advance about the mooning incident they weren't too happy. It's not even that it happened, it was that he didn't tell them about it and they found out through the media.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Rumor has it he was supposed to be captain when Tavares got it, but because he didn't inform the team in advance about the mooning incident they weren't too happy. It's not even that it happened, it was that he didn't tell them about it and they found out through the media.

Well, would YOU tell your employer if you did something like that? :sarcasm::D

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You dont honestly believe this do you? Do you realize how hard it is to win one cup in the cap era, let alone 2?
Yea it’s hard, though 4 teams have done it, 2 of them 3x. Pittsburgh 3, Chicago 3, LA and Tampa 2.
So out of 19 years, 10 of them were multiple cup winners.
Should of at least got to 3 rounds once.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
JT spends the whole summer hearing about how he screwed up the team cap structure, and how the Leafs would love to move him, but they can't. Then they take the Captaincy from him.

It's wierd to me how amicable this captaincy switch is.

Probably for the best though.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Different work sectors are more or less conservative when it comes to dress code.

IT has always been one of the more liberal compared with finance for example.

I think athletes have been influenced a lot by their social media footprint which has an indelible link to their income and sponsorship opportunities.

It used to be that you didn’t want to stand out in a team sport. Now you definitely want to.

Considering how people make fun of hockey players for lack of personality, I don’t really have an issue with it.
Nah, Matthews looks like a idiot with what he's wearing to become the captain of his team. There's plenty of opportunities to dress flashy, this ain't one of em, be professional and accept your new role with humility.

Like Charles Barley says, "that's how you go to work". Matthews isn't dressing like he's about to go to work.

JT spends the whole summer hearing about how he screwed up the team cap structure, and how the Leafs would love to move him, but they can't. Then they take the Captaincy from him.

It's wierd to me how amicable this captaincy switch is.

Probably for the best though.
Because he doesn't care, he has no heart or no passion, or pride.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I mean it reported as soon as he left Toronto he didn't think the team had a winning culture and it influenced his decision to not re-sign.

No it wasn't. Find a single credible link. It is all conjecture from hockey blogs looking for relevancy. Like your source hockeypatrol.com (wtf is that)

I could easily say I heard that player X thinks your team sucks. It was widely reported. Must be true.

Nope this was actually said, I know because I am Ryan O’Reilly

Wow I've never gotten to speak to a NHLer before. Want to go grab a coffee? You can drive.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
O’Reilly mentioned that the Leafs didn’t eat together on the road in the playoffs.

He said it was the only team he’d been on that didn’t.
If this is indeed true, can't say I am surprised to hear it. The product on the ice shows that while there are indeed extremely talented individuals on this team, that is the extent of the team - a collection of individuals rather than a collective cohesive unit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Funny cuz ROR actually told me this morning that it's only a matter of time the leafs win a cup now that Matthews is captain

You're -THE- Dayna Douros?

If this is indeed true, can't say I am surprised to hear it. The product on the ice shows that while there are indeed extremely talented individuals on this team, that is the extent of the team - a collection of individuals rather than a collective cohesive unit.

Well, here is Auston's opportunity to switch things up.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I remember recently Kypreos recently saying on video the team is not as close as people think. He may or may not be right but he called this captain change way back before anyone else did

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad