Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
All the haters will love him when he plays for the US in the upcoming tournaments, though.

Oh yeah, same with Marner if he leaves next offseason lol. Been through this on here before with Kessel. Guy was clowned on the mains and then left and suddenly it changed to "why were Leaf fans so toxic to this guy?". Not to say there were no toxic leaf fans, but they are fueled by the haters dunking on them

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
1723666180236.png

Never realized what a weak chin Tavares has. No wonder he was such a terrible captain and couldn't lead my Leafs to a cup...

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Again. Why is this being announced on a Wednesday in August? Why not at camp?

Seems very odd? Or is this normal?
The largest management staff in the league had to have 47 zoom meetings before making the decision

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I didn't say that, no. Plenty of Canadian fans enjoy watching international hockey and when they see him play in a different jersey I can see a lot of people actually enjoying watching him play and how he conducts himself vs. inherently having an issue with him because they don't like the NHL team he plays for.

My enemies? I hope they all BURN IN HELL!!!!

(not really)

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Brown

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They went deeper in a couple of runs, but their level of success is the exact same. 0 cups, unless of course we're celebrating making a conference final now ?
no one is celebrating on the isle......Nor did they have conference finals Norris Division rings made up like the Maple leafs did.
But it can still be pointed out that the Islanders have better play off records since Tavares left than the leafs do. And Habs. And Pens .....and over half the league.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What’s the frequency of Matthews doing post-game talk and will it change with the shift?

In general, with the Sens at least, it’s usually the Captain that handles more of the losses.

Was it that way with Tavares?

For the wins, they go with whoever did something noteworthy.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Rumor has it he was supposed to be captain when Tavares got it, but because he didn't inform the team in advance about the mooning incident they weren't too happy. It's not even that it happened, it was that he didn't tell them about it and they found out through the media.
Yawn!! Try harder.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
no one is celebrating on the isle......I mean they aren't having conference finals Norris Division rings made up like the leafs did.
But it can still be pointed out that the Islanders have better play off records since Tavares left than the leafs do. And Habs. And Sens and over half the league.
The Sens haven’t even made the playoffs once since Tavares joined the Leafs.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He'll have to change a lot of the way he acts to be a good captain. hopefully the added responsibility does that.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
how so man?

dont get me wrong, i love some good leaf laughs but what do you think he needs to change?
-less looking depressed on the bench.
-First man to stick up for his teammates
-perhaps a little less looking like he wants to die or wants the reporter to die during press conferences.
- He doesn't have to take many fights and can pick and choose but he can't dodge ALL of them and let his teammates do the dirty work.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Out of curiosity, just watching the press conference/announcement now. Even now, you just see this guy does not carry himself professionally. Leafs management all wearing suits and collared shirts and dress shoes for the announcement. Matthews wearing a suit jacket over a non collared shirt and running shoes and earrings. Even John Tavares, who is no longer the captain, is dressed in suit jacket, collared shirt and dress shoes. A true professional despite the I am sure awkwardness of relinquishing the captaincy. Sure, this doesn't speak to leadership of Matthews, but it just reinforces this guy is not a professional. Yes, him mooning that guard was years ago but lots of players (including Tavares) have not had these types of things happen to draw negative attention to themselves. Tavares has always carried himself maturely. Whether he should have been captain or not is debatable, but Matthews is not leadership material. How he attired himself today just buttresses that.
TLDR: I'm old as dirt and the future scares me

Reactions: PainForShane

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
What’s the frequency of Matthews doing post-game talk and will it change with the shift?

In general, with the Sens at least, it’s usually the Captain that handles more of the losses.

Was it that way with Tavares?

For the wins, they go with whoever did something noteworthy.
I would say Matthews, JT, Rielly, and to a lesser extend Mitch were the main go-tos for media and I don't expect that to change. He's always been fine with the media, not sure what people are referring to when they say he's not, even handled that Steve Simmons BS really professionally when he had every right to tell him to F himself - as do we all

AtlantaHockeyFanatic

Mar 25, 2024
-less looking depressed on the bench.
-First man to stick up for his teammates
-perhaps a little less looking like he wants to die or wants the reporter to die during press conferences.
- He doesn't have to take many fights and can pick and choose but he can't dodge ALL of them and let his teammates do the dirty work.

Jesus Christ you Canadians are so stuck up. You sound straight out of the 1950s.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Jesus Christ you Canadians are so stuck up. You sound straight out of the 1950s.
me wanting him to have more emotions, be a team player and act less aloof is stuck up?

Then again, A Hockey fanatic from Atlanta probably would prefer emotionless dead eyed players given its the place where Hockey goes to die.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad