Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Why not just wait until next year when Tavares leaves as FA?
As I said before, the Leafs are in minor "damage control" mode this off-season. They have to do something to make the fanbase think they're going in an entirely new direction, even though they're bringing back exactly the same players who have choked time and again.

At least they have that new, mono-syllabic coach, who did well once for about three months, a half-decade ago. Watching him struggle for words after losses is going to be painful.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The leafs don't play to be tough. They play to get respect, in the handshake line.
There are some hockey quotations where you just get down on your knees and thank God for being spoken. That one is one such. May it live eternally.

The Leafs have been on the good side of the handshake line exactly once since April 20th, 2004 — 7,424 days ago.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
There are some hockey quotations where you just get down on your knees and thank God for being spoken. That one is one such. May it live eternally.

The Leafs have been on the good side of the handshake line exactly once since April 20th, 2004 — 7,424 days ago.

Worst haiku ever.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I agree with those attacking his character

I saw Auston Matthews at a grocery store in Toronto yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Not captain material imo

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I saw Auston Matthews at a grocery store in Toronto yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Not captain material imo

Why would he buy 15 Milky Ways and not Snickers? This story doesn’t make any sense.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Not captain material imo

That meme is from 2012, literally 12 years ago. That Gotye song was the bestselling song that year, that's how long ago that meme originated. Obviously not about Auston Matthews, and so long ago that people shouldn't reasonably be expected to be familiar with it.

Thanks for sharing the reason you 'agree with those attacking his character.' smh

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Best player on the Leafs and the best goal scorer in the league. But captain material? Meh...doesn't strike me as a leader of men type.

Reactions: hn777

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019

Not captain material imo

I am not a fan of Matthews in the least, do not think he is captain material, but I find the above a bit far fetched. Particularly given now that he has been named captain, he is more than acutely aware of how he conducts himself and how the optics of what he says and does will reflect on the Leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
It’s a copypasta guys, where have you been?

At this point it's too old, no one remembers it. It'd be the same idea if someone today started quoting I Love Lucy episodes or unironically wondering who killed JR.

Can't necessarily blame ppl for not understanding / remembering internet 'jokes' that are over a decade old and also weren't especially funny / clever to begin with. Also wouldn't be surprised if the poster didn't realize the message was copypasta when he posted

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
How old do you have to be to start pretending something 10 years old is the same as 75 years old?

Can we leafs fans start pretending our cups were as recent as Boston's? They havent won in over a decade either, most people must not remember it :laugh:

Reactions: Oyletime

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
How old do you have to be to start pretending something 10 years old is the same as 75 years old?

Can we leafs fans start pretending our cups were as recent as Boston's? They havent won in over a decade either, most people must not remember it :laugh:

Are you defending someone else's poor use of a 10+ year old internet copypasta as a cultural reference that everyone on these boards should immediately understand?

I think I may understand your point (not sure) but if I'm understanding your point correctly I'm not sure how or if it's relevant to anything happening in this discussion and / or thread.

:laugh:

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Are you defending someone else's poor use of a 10+ year old internet copypasta as a cultural reference that everyone on these boards should immediately understand?

I think I may understand your point (not sure) but if I'm understanding your point correctly I'm not sure how or if it's relevant to anything happening in this discussion and / or thread.

:laugh:

lol nobody said everyone should immediately understand and i dont know why youre so horned up to defend a stance that a decade ago is (paraphrase) "too old to be remembered".

I would be more inclined to make an appointment with my physician to determine the cause of such severe memory loss, myself. I mean, its free so why not?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
lol nobody said everyone should immediately understand and i dont know why youre so horned up to defend a stance that a decade ago is (paraphrase) "too old to be remembered".

I would be more inclined to make an appointment with my physician to determine the cause of such severe memory loss, myself. I mean, its free so why not?

That wasn't even close to the point.

If you end up seeing your physician, I hope your visit goes well

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
What was your point, exactly? People shouldn't make jokes that you personally find "old"?

or is it that jokes aren't funny if you personally don't find them to be funny?

1723922450289.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad