Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach, Lane Lambert as associate coach and Marc Savard as assistant coach

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner has not only been poor in the play offs, he's had decent years, and the issue isnt the big 4 the issue is the supporting cast is too weak, the defense is in shambles, and the goaltending is horrid,

May be true but in the later games of a series they are always right there in a tight checking low scoring game, often only losing in game 7 by just 1 goal. They have scored more than 2 goals once in their past 12 playoff games so I think that's by far their main problem, and especially their powerplay scoring. A healthy Woll, Matthews and Nylander this season and we might not even be having this conversation right now either.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I think the Jets are the best Canadian team at drafting and devleopment, I wish the Sens had just stayed the course instead of making the Chychrun and Debrincat trades I feel like that set them back,
I agree. Seems to me over the years that teams that try to make a "splash" by bringing in higher name talent and / or rentals - doesn't always work out. I was hoping DeBrincat would stay a Hawk for life and develop slowly under Kane and Toews.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The problem is as an offensive system they go for the wrong type of D-man, I feel like there stuck in the early 2000's going for slow moving hard hitting d-man, if you're going to play an offensive system you need d-man who can move the puck and help with transition. I feel like Leafs management suffers from now going for the right type of players to play in the system they have.
Post-deadline this year was the first time in the Matthews/Marner era that they built the defense this way. You could argue they overcorrected this year, but they've built the defense in almost the complete opposite manner to what you've described for most of the last 8 years.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Marner has not only been poor in the play offs, he's had decent years, and the issue isnt the big 4 the issue is the supporting cast is too weak, the defense is in shambles, and the goaltending is horrid,
Somebody used a time machine from 2019 ?

Defence was perfectly fine, goaltending was not the issue

Anytime someone regurgitates this nonsense it just shows that they don't actually watch the games

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Post-deadline this year was the first time in the Matthews/Marner era that they built the defense this way. You could argue they overcorrected this year, but they've built the defense in almost the complete opposite manner to what you've described for most of the last 8 years.
Uhm not really, t hey've only had one guy who can really move the puck over the last 8 years and that's Reilly, maybe Sandin a little bit but he didnt even get a chance before Dumbass traded him off.

Anytime someone regurgitates this nonsense it just shows that they don't actually watch the games
Uhm were obviously not talking about the same team, the leafs defense and goldtending is definately an issue

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Uhm were obviously not talking about the same team, the leafs defense and goldtending is definately an issue
Clueless post :laugh:

The issue was and has been for the last several years, the stars not showing up.

Game 1: 5 goals against
Game 2: 2 goal against
Game 3: 4 goals against
Game 4: 3 goals against
Game 5: 1 goal against
Game 6: 1 goal against
Game 7: 2 goals against

Held Boston to 2 goals or fewer in 4 games and LOST the series

If you want to talk about star power on the blue line ? Sure, but the team defence was great all year. Clueless post dude.

Reactions: Lilou

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Uhm not really, t hey've only had one guy who can really move the puck over the last 8 years and that's Reilly, maybe Sandin a little bit but he didnt even get a chance before Dumbass traded him off.

I mean, for one thing you'd be lucky to find more than a couple Leafs fans who would be willing to undo that trade right now considering the return.

Plus: NHL Stats

Which of those guys qualify as early 2000's-style, "slow moving hard hitting" d-men? I see one (Polak) who's played more than 100 games with them.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I mean, for one thing you'd be lucky to find more than a couple Leafs fans who would be willing to undo that trade right now considering the return.

Which of those guys qualify as early 2000's-style, "slow moving hard hitting" d-men? I see one (Polak) who's played more than 100 games with them.
Edmundson, Lybushkin its not about games played

Clueless post :laugh:

The issue was and has been for the last several years, the stars not showing up.

Game 1: 5 goals against
Game 2: 2 goal against
Game 3: 4 goals against
Game 4: 3 goals against
Game 5: 1 goal against
Game 6: 1 goal against
Game 7: 2 goals against

Held Boston to 2 goals or fewer in 4 games and LOST the series

If you want to talk about star power on the blue line ? Sure, but the team defence was great all year. Clueless post dude.
I mean blaming the Stars seems to be leaf fans MO instead of accepting reality that the players you add via trade or fa do not always fit the system, they need more guys on the back end capable of moving the puck forward, I'm not talking about team defense I'm talking about a poorly constructed defense.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

I mean blaming the Stars seems to be leaf fans MO instead of accepting reality that the players you add via trade or fa do not always fit the system, they need more guys on the back end capable of moving the puck forward, I'm not talking about team defense I'm talking about a poorly constructed defense.
lmaooo I'm not even gonna waste time responding to you anymore ok you win

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I mean... my argument was that post-deadline this year was the only time in the last 8 years that they tried building around big, physical defensemen, so including the two guys they got at the deadline isn't much of a counterpoint.

This isn't a "this is how the Leafs like to build their defense" thing. They spent 8 years building the defense in the exact opposite way, continued to struggle in the playoffs, and then tried something different for a couple months.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Who are you even referring to? What a weird comment.

lmaooo I'm not even gonna waste time responding to you anymore ok you win
I mean of course I'm right thank you for admitting defeat

I mean... my argument was that post-deadline this year was the only time in the last 8 years that they tried building around big, physical defensemen, so including the two guys they got at the deadline isn't much of a counterpoint.

This isn't a "this is how the Leafs like to build their defense" thing. They spent 8 years building the defense in the exact opposite way, continued to struggle in the playoffs, and then tried something different for a couple months.
I mean The only quality defenseman they've had the last 8 years is, Giordano, Muzzin and Reilly everything else has been trash

Reactions: AvroArrow

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I mean of course I'm right thank you for admitting defeat

I mean The only quality defenseman they've had the last 8 years is, Giordano, Muzzin and Reilly everything else has been trash
You were talking about the type of defensemen, not the quality.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024

Which of those guys qualify as early 2000's-style, "slow moving hard hitting" d-men? I see one (Polak) who's played more than 100 games wit
Uhm sorry wow I didn't realize how bad of a gm dubas is/was until i saw that list

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Such high praise. Hard to believe they've never won it all.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Defense and goaltending have not been the issue. They held the Bruins to 3 total goals in the last 3 games of the series. They held the Bruins to 1 shot in the first period in back to back games.

Issue was scoring 1 goal in the final 2 elimination games while Marner, the guy not hurt like Matthews and Nylander, did nothing.

Or you Resign Marner, the primary playmaker for your 69 goal scoring Center, wait a year get Tavares off the books, focus on drafting and developing talent or make smart trades to improve your team.

Look at Vancouver, Alvin rebuilt that team in a year to be a contender, I can see the leafs capable of doing that, you just need Treveling to be innovative and creative.

Matthews scores with anyone. He played the last 30 games with Domi and Bertuzzi as his linemates. His rookie year he scored 40 with Brown and Hyman as wingers when they were not good.

Marner helps the Leafs more by bringing them a valuable asset and capspace back in trade

Reactions: Luc Labelle

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Such high praise. Hard to believe they've never won it all.

Leaf fans are tired of watching their team be unable to score more than a goal in playoff games and having to win every game 2-1 to read uninformed fans say they are running and gunning and need defensive help.

Nah we need our stars to score at even 70% what they do in the regular season and we are good

Reactions: Luc Labelle

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Defense and goaltending have not been the issue. They held the Bruins to 3 total goals in the last 3 games of the series. They held the Bruins to 1 shot in the first period in back to back games.

Issue was scoring 1 goal in the final 2 elimination games while Marner, the guy not hurt like Matthews and Nylander, did nothing.

Matthews scores with anyone. He played the last 30 games with Domi and Bertuzzi as his linemates. His rookie year he scored 40 with Brown and Hyman as wingers when they were not good.

Marner helps the Leafs more by bringing them a valuable asset and capspace back in trade
Not really or you can be patient wait a year, get Tavares off the books keep Marner

And yes defense and goaltending are completely the issue with toronto, and also lack of depth upfront

Trading Marner is a bad idea I don't understand this leafs mentality of scape goating players

Reactions: Tarmore

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not really or you can be patient wait a year, get Tavares off the books keep Marner

And yes defense and goaltending are completely the issue with toronto, and also lack of depth upfront

Trading Marner is a bad idea I don't understand this leafs mentality of scape goating players

How is goaltending an issue. Woll is the future in Toronto he has proved that the last 2 playoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad