Managerial Thread - 24/25 Season - Brighton Hove and Lolbion

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Do I care?
They also said Saliba wasn't ready. Homerism doesn't mean they're right.
You’ve latched on to that Saliba and Arteta moved on. Arsenal are in a good position and there isn’t anyone who think they should’ve let Arteta go. Patience paid off. Otherwise they could’ve been like treble winners Chelsea

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You’ve latched on to that Saliba and Arteta moved on. Arsenal are in a good position and there isn’t anyone who think they should’ve let Arteta go. Patience paid off. Otherwise they could’ve been like treble winners Chelsea
I totally think they should have let Arteta go, spending totally on whom they could have got instead.
I don't think most high profile coaches would have done worse with that much money spent.
And if paying off is a Cup for 650M spent, I understand why you loved Laporta so much :D

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This is oversimplifying and putting the blinders on, but whatever floats your boat.
No it isn’t. Arteta had a bad go at the start of his Arsenal tenure straight up and there was a ton of talk about how he shouldn’t have the the job anymore after finishing 8th. And now Arsenal has consistently been one of the best performing teams in the league. That’s not to say ETH goes on the same trajectory, but let’s not act like it’s been some smooth sailing for Arsenal and Arteta the entire way.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No they weren’t. City were.

Arsenal could have done better by not being content with 0-0 in Manchester. They were in their best run of form and a chance to rip City’s head off but said “no thanks”

Also I didn’t think Arsenal were great when they had to play more than once a week
It doesn't matter if City were better, they purposely broke FFP laws that gave them an unfair advantage over 2nd place in the EPL all the way to semi-pro division 14 in English football. Based on all the punishment we've seen over the past 5-7 years, most have been points deducted when it comes to breaking FA laws. Man City has broken both FA and UEFA laws, meaning we should have seen a combination of point deductions around the time the charges were filed and a transfer ban/being kicked out of CL. Based on those factors, Arsenal rightfully won the EPL title last year and this year if the point deduction is within those years...which based on everything should have happened.

I don't disagree with your critique however, squad depth is still very much an issue with Arteta not really trusting the majority of the players.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No it isn’t. Arteta had a bad go at the start of his Arsenal tenure straight up and there was a ton of talk about how he shouldn’t have the the job anymore after finishing 8th. And now Arsenal has consistently been one of the best performing teams in the league. That’s not to say ETH goes on the same trajectory, but let’s not act like it’s been some smooth sailing for Arsenal and Arteta the entire way.

I think it's a fair point but at the same time, ten Hag's tenure so far has been a lot more turbulent.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Arteta wasn’t finishing with negative goal differences and wasn’t giving up the most shots in the league

It doesn't matter if City were better, they purposely broke FFP laws that gave them an unfair advantage over 2nd place in the EPL all the way to semi-pro division 14 in English football. Based on all the punishment we've seen over the past 5-7 years, most have been points deducted when it comes to breaking FA laws. Man City has broken both FA and UEFA laws, meaning we should have seen a combination of point deductions around the time the charges were filed and a transfer ban/being kicked out of CL. Based on those factors, Arsenal rightfully won the EPL title last year and this year if the point deduction is within those years...which based on everything should have happened.

I don't disagree with your critique however, squad depth is still very much an issue with Arteta not really trusting the majority of the players.
When it happens it happens. Hasn’t happened yet. Trust me when it happens I’ll be claiming LFC’s found titles too, but can’t do it yet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No it isn’t. Arteta had a bad go at the start of his Arsenal tenure straight up and there was a ton of talk about how he shouldn’t have the the job anymore after finishing 8th.
As we've seen the last two seasons, Arteta is showing himself as a top-calibre manager, at least tactically even though he is very far from perfect. He does/did have some power-hungry control grabs in the past with the likes of Auba and Guendouzi, but these players were not blameless either. However, a lot of the problems initially were due to awful buys from the previous regime, especially from the Mislintat/Sanllehi era where Raul should probably be in jail. How he overspent for a lot of his best friend's agent players like Pepe was very "mob-esque" and though those might not be a felony, that type of thinking is definitely shady where he probably has some hidden felony activity elsewhere.

I think it's a fair point but at the same time, ten Hag's tenure so far has been a lot more turbulent.
He did have a time when Arsenal had a red card record that even Ramos would be proud of lol. However, a lot of that I suggest was cutting the bait and getting rid of the rubbish players that were here under Wenger's and Emery's era. We've seen under Arteta nowadays that red cards are extremely rare, we had like what? Only 2 last season?

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
“Arteta was bad at first and has worked out, so it is sensible for us to commit to our manager who has been bad so far” is a pretty profoundly fallacious position

Liverpool should’ve let Hodgson cook

Reactions: KJS14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
“Arteta was bad at first and has worked out, so it is sensible for us to commit to our manager who has been bad so far” is a pretty profoundly fallacious position

We could just hire a new manager every week. Worked great for Chelsea.

How many trophies has Hodgson won with Liverpool?

How many coaches have had to spend 650M net on their first job with a single Cup to show for it over 5 years?
I'm guessing nobody else in history.
Games changed how many are competing against pep’s city?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Arteta wasn't even really bad per se.

He took over a team that was 10th and on a 50 point pace and finished them 8th with a 61.5 point pace after he took over and won the FA cup.

Second season they were pretty awful in the first half again but played well in the second half and again finished 8th with a Europa Semi. They had a decent defensive record but couldn't score goals. Then was a 5th place season where they barely missed CL and then back to back 2nd place finishes.

ETH managed 3rd and an EFL cup his first year but the team was 6th in xPts.
Then this year United were 15th in xPts and 15th in xGA I get there were injuries, but the injuries absolutely should not have turned United into Burnley defensively.

ETHs second season is much worse than Arteta's despite a higher league position and the FA cup win.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

He took over a team that was 10th and on a 50 point pace and finished them 8th with a 61.5 point pace after he took over and won the FA cup.

Second season they were pretty awful in the first half again but played well in the second half and again finished 8th with a Europa Semi. They had a decent defensive record but couldn't score goals. Then was a 5th place season where they barely missed CL and then back to back 2nd place finishes.

Then this year United were 15th in xPts and 15th in xGA I get there were injuries, but the injuries absolutely should not have turned United into Burnley defensively.

ETHs second season is much worse than Arteta's despite a higher league position and the FA cup win.
Did you see Casemiro play as CB? Tried his best to gift at least one goal per game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We could just hire a new manager every week. Worked great for Chelsea.

How many trophies has Hodgson won with Liverpool?

Games changed how many are competing against pep’s city?
And I'll repeat my question? Who spent that much with only a Cup to show for it?
Sure you can say City is unreal and spend more. That's a fair argument. But without City, who's to say Arsenal would have been that competitive? It takes a locomotive to speed the train. And City also sent two of their players to Arsenal who became instant starters.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Also, Arteta joined and then COVID happened. It was a weird situation not conducive to success

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad