Managerial Thread - 24/25 Season - Brighton Hove and Lolbion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean should ETH done better with the squad he had? Not to mention the injuries...What coach realistically would've done better that would coach them?

Reactions: Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tbf all the firing stuff all came from some from Chelsea reporter that jumped the gun. I’m not saying ETH is the guy long term, but clearly INEOS came in treating the club as a blank slate, which included looking at available managers and seeing if ETH is worth keeping. Which he probably isn’t worth keeping long term, but it’d probably be worse to get another manager that isn’t a good fit as ETH right now with no official DOF.
Okay - so are you giving ETH another nine figures to spend this summer if he isn’t the guy? Especially without DOF. It’s obvious INEOS want their guy in so why give ETH more money and assets to burn. It doesn’t make any sense. He’s a lame duck. ETH himself should not have agreed to be a part of it. To me there is just no logic in any of this.

Are they extending a guy that still needs to prove it? Are they telling him no more incomings? What is the end game here exactly?

I mean should ETH done better with the squad he had? Not to mention the injuries...What coach realistically would've done better that would coach them?
Yes. He should have. He spent way too much money not have have done better. FA Cup is wiping a lot of people’s memories. This was a wretched team

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's not necessarily his tactics, though he's been below average at that (94 out of 95 teams is shambolic regardless of the results). I think his transfers have been by far the worst, he spent loads on Antony and Onana getting them up there with FFP cap.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Okay - so are you giving ETH another nine figures to spend this summer if he isn’t the guy? Especially without DOF. It’s obvious INEOS want their guy in so why give ETH more money and assets to burn. It doesn’t make any sense. He’s a lame duck. ETH himself should not have agreed to be a part of it. To me there is just no logic in any of this.

Are they extending a guy that still needs to prove it? Are they telling him no more incomings? What is the end game here exactly?

Yes. He should have. He spent way too much money not have have done better. FA Cup is wiping a lot of people’s memories. This was a wretched team
I mean bring in a CDM and a CB and go from there. There's clearly been some major problems tactically in midfield, plus the injuries he dealt with this season was also ridiculous. I mean he didn't have a consistent CB pairing or a LB all season essentially.

My biggest thing is who do you bring in? Potter? Di Zerbi? That's not an improvement at all really. It'd be just as bad to fire him, bring in a shitty replacement and start the cycle again.

Reactions: Gecklund and Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean bring in a CDM and a CB and go from there. There's clearly been some major problems tactically in midfield, plus the injuries he dealt with this season was also ridiculous. I mean he didn't have a consistent CB pairing or a LB all season essentially.

My biggest thing is who do you bring in? Potter? Di Zerbi? That's not an improvement at all really. It'd be just as bad to fire him, bring in a shitty replacement and start the cycle again.
Teams have had injury crises before. The injury crisis is not why they had a negative goal difference. They had the highest wage bill in the country, so obviously the money is being spent badly, so you are going to give the guy spending the money badly more money?

For example, What makes Maresca an upgrade over Pochettino? All I have heard about is how INEOS are geniuses. Interview a guy, see who aligns. Don’t keep the guy who at best is a mediocre fit, and if going to keep lighting money on fire.

They are keeping him for the wrong reasons and this post (no offense to you at all) highlights exactly why

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Teams have had injury crises before. The injury crisis is not why they had a negative goal difference. They had the highest wage bill in the country, so obviously the money is being spent badly, so you are going to give the guy spending the money badly more money?

For example, What makes Maresca an upgrade over Pochettino? All I have heard about is how INEOS are geniuses. Interview a guy, see who aligns. Don’t keep the guy who at best is a mediocre fit, and if going to keep lighting money on fire.

They are keeping him for the wrong reasons and this post (no offense to you at all) highlights exactly why
I haven't been here in months so idk if people are saying they're geniuses, but all I've seen is they're taking over and treating the club as a clean slate. I'm fine with that. If they think ETH will do better under their system than cool? ETH failed under the Glazer system just like Ole, Mou, Moyes, and LVG. Everyone here knows the problems are so much more than just the manager. And I've said ETH takes his share of the blame. He isn't perfect and is most likely not the guy long term.

Again WHO? Who is supposed to replace him. You can't just say interview a guy. Who that's available is a complete slam dunk upgrade on ETH right now that perfectly aligns with INEOS' system?

Even if it's for the wrong reasons, I'd rather keep ETH here than bring in the same level manager, and wait for a better fit to become available.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I haven't been here in months so idk if people are saying they're geniuses, but all I've seen is they're taking over and treating the club as a clean slate. I'm fine with that. If they think ETH will do better under their system than cool? ETH failed under the Glazer system just like Ole, Mou, Moyes, and LVG. Everyone here knows the problems are so much more than just the manager. And I've said ETH takes his share of the blame. He isn't perfect and is most likely not the guy long term.

Again WHO? Who is supposed to replace him. You can't just say interview a guy. Who that's available is a complete slam dunk upgrade on ETH right now that perfectly aligns with INEOS' system?

Even if it's for the wrong reasons, I'd rather keep ETH here than bring in the same level manager, and wait for a better fit to become available.
What’s INEOS system? Whats the point of sticking with the guy and letting him light more money on fire?

You literally can just interview people. You don’t need a slam dunk, and honestly it’s probably better for Utd if they didn’t hire someone just based on getting probably props from the tabloids. They need someone how can prevent shots from coming in. It’s one thing to be bad. It’s another to be historically bad

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What’s INEOS system? Whats the point of sticking with the guy and letting him light more money on fire?

You literally can just interview people. You don’t need a slam dunk, and honestly it’s probably better for Utd if they didn’t hire someone just based on getting probably props from the tabloids. They need someone how can prevent shots from coming in. It’s one thing to be bad. It’s another to be historically bad
I mean I’m not going to pretend I know the ins and outs of their system. But they’ve been clear about getting football people in positions to build the club up as opposed to the Glazers.

And they did interview people. And it looks like they didn’t like the options because there’s no one good available.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean I’m not going to pretend I know the ins and outs of their system. But they’ve been clear about getting football people in positions to build the club up as opposed to the Glazers.

And they did interview people. And it looks like they didn’t like the options because there’s no one good available.
Okay let me ask this another way.

If ETH gets knocked out of the FA Cup by Coventry, does he has a job right now

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean he could’ve lost his job from that for sure.
Right. So you had a guy dead in the water, who gets new life because of several lucky results during a cup competition. He’s still the same guy that should have been fired, and you are giving him another nine figures this summer AND he’s still deadman walking and the new manager might not want Ajax’s JV Team

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Right. So you had a guy dead in the water, who gets new life because of several lucky results during a cup competition. He’s still the same guy that should have been fired, and you are giving him another nine figures this summer AND he’s still deadman walking and the new manager might not want Ajax’s JV Team
What if Dembele wasn’t a poor footballer? Liverpool never wins the CL, does that change klopp legacy at Liverpool?

• Haha
Reactions: Gecklund and Jussi

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What if Dembele wasn’t a poor footballer? Liverpool never wins the CL, does that change klopp legacy at Liverpool?
There's a pretty enormous difference between losing a UCL semi to Barcelona and losing an FA Cup semi to Coventry, but I think you know that and I think you know this rhetorical question is dumb

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Mourinho won a triple at United. How could he be anything but a success.
I wholeheartedly agree, but @The Abusement Park put him and LvG in a list of chronic failing post-Alex, and i think Mourinho often gets lumped in with the garbagio. I think both Mou and Van Gaal showed that there is space to navigate the utter f***ing crap that has been United’s upper execs.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There's a pretty enormous difference between losing a UCL semi to Barcelona and losing an FA Cup semi to Coventry, but I think you know that and I think you know this rhetorical question is dumb
It’s a game of what ifs. Without the trophy all Klopp has is a league title.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It’s a game of what ifs. Without the trophy all Klopp has is a league title.
And yet, a scrutinous adult with the power of context clues can put all the pieces together.

Whereas blowing a 3-0 lead to a second division side in a season where you by and large play like absolute dogshit with appalling underlyings, bailed out by a pretty mad track record of fluke equalizers is, well, that

Reactions: KJS14

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I wholeheartedly agree, but @The Abusement Park put him and LvG in a list of chronic failing post-Alex, and i think Mourinho often gets lumped in with the garbagio. I think both Mou and Van Gaal showed that there is space to navigate the utter f***ing crap that has been United’s upper execs.
I mean Mou is the most successful manager we had under the Glazers(low bar) due to the EL, but he was still a 6th, 2nd, sacked. But ETH has finished higher(and lower) in the league than LVG and won more silverware than LVG. OGS also finshed higher than LVG in his first two seasons. I mean in the end the difference between the end results isn't all that big. ETH had the biggest blowout since Moyes though there's no arguing that though.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I get your main argument and I might be too pedantic on this, but de Zerbi is an absolute upgrade on EtH...especially concerning transfer targets.

• Haha
Reactions: Incubajerks

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t want to hear any bullshit about how good the new guys are. They were out offering the job to anyone they could, couldn’t get anyone and are stuck. Until actual results improve, just shut up about them being the smartest or new culture or whatever.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad